: Engine Coolant Temperature 190-201 F

mtflight
02-20-05, 03:44 AM
I recently have been driving this 98 ETC with 68900 miles. I was checking out the temperature gauge... it's always in the middle... moves a little (of course it is way left when the car is cold).

I set-up the Information Center to display the Coolant System Temperature.. and it is always from 190s up to 201 degrees... isn't that a little hot?

I just had the cooling system flushed, and DEXCOOL / distilled water put in with 2 barsleak powders. Temperature still the same range.

I guess it's ok? How would I know I need a ndw thermostat or if anything was failing?

Best Regards,

Alex
mtflight@gmail.com

Eldobroken
02-20-05, 05:03 AM
Perfectly normal temps.

Spyder
02-20-05, 06:06 AM
Yea...it should run around that...not too hot at all...the fans won't even think about coming on until 223 or 225, and won't go on to their high speed until 230...and you won't get any kind of warning about overheating until well over 240. Don't worry about, perfectly normal! Drive and enjoy! :)

ellives
02-20-05, 01:14 PM
I recently have been driving this 98 ETC with 68900 miles. I was checking out the temperature gauge... it's always in the middle... moves a little (of course it is way left when the car is cold).

I set-up the Information Center to display the Coolant System Temperature.. and it is always from 190s up to 201 degrees... isn't that a little hot?

I just had the cooling system flushed, and DEXCOOL / distilled water put in with 2 barsleak powders. Temperature still the same range.

I guess it's ok? How would I know I need a ndw thermostat or if anything was failing?

Best Regards,

Alex
mtflight@gmail.com

Hot? I'd argue it's running a little cool. My '97 I happened to check last night after an hour+ of highway driving and it was sitting at 215. I bought a used GMC Yukon a while back and it never had any reasonable heat in the cabin. It turned out the prior owner (my dimwit brother) put in a lower thermostat figuring it would help avoid it getting too hot. I put back the right temp thermostat and voila, my heat returned to normal. It's good to be warm.

Ells

mtflight
02-20-05, 01:33 PM
Thank you for the peace of mind guys! Awesome.

Best Regards,

Alex