: Saw the scariest thing in my 5 years of trucking last week

truckinman
07-05-13, 10:04 AM
Was driving north of Cincinnati on I-71 at 3 AM. All of a sudden not more than a few hundred yards ahead of me, I just start seeing headlights spinning in a very frantic barrel roll fashion across my lanes on the interstate, coming to rest upside down leaning against a concrete wall on an overpass.

----------

It almost bounced over the wall onto the road 35 feet below. Another trucker and I both stopped right away and ran up to the SUV. It was a 2004 or so Explorer. Thankfully the two occupants were ok. We helped pull them outa the upside down truck, and stayed with them until police got there.

Definitely the craziest thing I've seen since I've been driving truck. They must have rolled 2-3 times b4 resting on the wall. The driver told me a deer ran out in front of him and he swerved. I really hate deer. They cause way to many wrecks on the roads!

Aztec ETC ECS
07-05-13, 10:30 AM
WOW! Did it blow 5 seconds after everyone was pulled like in the movies?

I'll bet that driver will have these on all his future cars:

http://www.5starshine.com/images/deer-alert/deer-alert-300px.jpg

CTSCHICK
07-05-13, 10:35 AM
Insurance companies do not recommend the deer alerts they actually recommend you hit the animal instead trying to avoid it because of the higher liabiltiy of hitting something or some one else and causing human injury or more property damage.

truckinman
07-05-13, 10:37 AM
WOW! Did it blow 5 seconds after everyone was pulled like in the movies?

I'll bet that driver will have these on all his future cars:

Lol. Not quite. Lol. But it sure was smoking as we were running up to it. Lol

Submariner409
07-05-13, 10:44 AM
"Deer alerts" don't. Ask anyone over here on the Shore - which is darn near paved with the giant brown rats.

Not long ago someone opined that there are far, far more deer east of the Mississippi now than at any time before the early 20th century. Why ? Because humans used to eat the bastards 24/7/365. Then Bambi came along and all of a sudden it was simply horrible to eat wild game. (But we still kill hogs with a single .22 at the base of the skull, and we still kill beef cattle with a 12# sledge hammer to the forehead and a slit throat.)

rodnok01
07-05-13, 10:45 AM
Seen people go off the road and roll, doesn't look scary in the movies but in real life it'll pucker your drawers.
It's against nature to not swerve and hit something instead. Brake hard and wack the bastard... saves the car and you.

truckinman
07-05-13, 10:52 AM
Insurance companies do not recommend the deer alerts they actually recommend you hit the animal instead trying to avoid it because of the higher liabiltiy of hitting something or some one else and causing human injury or more property damage.

Very true. Just like with the wreck I saw, I believe things could have turned out better by hitting the deer instead of swerving, especially since he was in a higher profile vehicle, and that generation of Explorer isn't exactly known for their stability during high speed maneuvers.

----------

Seen people go off the road and roll, doesn't look scary in the movies but in real life it'll pucker your drawers.
It's against nature to not swerve and hit something instead. Brake hard and wack the bastard... saves the car and you.

Yep. The scariest part was how close they came to bouncing over that guard rail and falling 35 feet to the road below.

Ranger
07-05-13, 11:21 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Instead of charging for permits, there outta be a bounty on the long legged, short tailed vermin. Having 2 kills to my credit so far, you can understand my feelings on the subject. :annoyed:

tl;dr :brutal:

M5eater
07-05-13, 11:31 AM

I can't tell you how many claims I pay for idiots that would rather not hit a squirrel and instead swerve into opposing lanes of travel, and since it's a rental car, and they didn't bother to buy any coverage and also decided as an adult, that it's a good idea to not have any of their own insurance;

Guess who gets to ultimately foot the tens of thousands of dollars in property damage and/or injury claims?

talismandave
07-05-13, 11:36 AM
"Deer alerts" don't. Ask anyone over here on the Shore - which is darn near paved with the giant brown rats.

Not long ago someone opined that there are far, far more deer east of the Mississippi now than at any time before the early 20th century. Why ? Because humans used to eat the bastards 24/7/365. Then Bambi came along and all of a sudden it was simply horrible to eat wild game. (But we still kill hogs with a single .22 at the base of the skull, and we still kill beef cattle with a 12# sledge hammer to the forehead and a slit throat.)

We are having record populations here too. Another part of the problem is the lack of natural predators. They have started repopulating the wolf in our state and it is going well, but the minute a wolf kills a cow or horse, everyone goes nuts and wants to kill them off again!

Ranger
07-05-13, 11:46 AM
I think their only natural predator is the car. Unfortunately all the wolves are up north and those people hate them and will kill them on sight.

Aron9000
07-05-13, 04:16 PM
I never swerve for a deer, racoon, cat, dog, whatever. I'll lock up the brakes trying to avoid them, but I'm not swerving, then wrecking my car so the stupid deer can live another day to get hit again by another car.

I've had a huge buck hit the side of my car. I was doing a good 60-70mph and he bolts across the road, I'm hard on the brakes. Luckily I saw him in plenty of time for him to make it, but no he decides to double back to the other side of the road. I thought for sure he was coming in the car with me, as I was driving a convertible with the top/windows down, but he just barley grazed the rear of the car, took my antenna off with his antlers.

Where I hit that deer was near a nature preserve in suburban Nashville, about 10-15 miles south of downtown. So many deer there, you can usually see them grazing on people's lawns in the broad daylight when you drive through that neighborhood.

truckinman
07-05-13, 04:28 PM
Yep I won't swerve either. Hit the coyote that one time with our Saturn. Nearly totaled the car, but if I'd swerved, it coulda killed just for some dumb coyote.

One night a buddy of mine was driving his semi, passing another on the freeway when the other one swerved into my buddy's truck just to avoid a damn deer! My buddy saved it tho. He swerved into the median, which was very soft bc it had just rained, and he had 35k lbs in the trailer. Well even with all 18 wheels (I saw the tracks later that week and yes every wheel went into the mud at 65 mph) in the median, he pulled it off without making any contact with the other truck or the guard rail.

Ranger
07-05-13, 04:31 PM
I'll lock up the brakes trying to avoid them, but I'm not swerving, then wrecking my car so the stupid deer can live another day to get hit again by another car.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I will do my best to avoid the damned things, though it will be evasive action, not a knee jerk reaction. That said, rest assured it is not done for their benefit. I'd just as soon avoid them, then kill 'em out of revenge. Have I mentioned how much I hate those damned things?

concorso
07-05-13, 04:32 PM
I never swerve for a deer, racoon, cat, dog, whatever. I'll lock up the brakes trying to avoid them, but I'm not swerving, then wrecking my car so the stupid deer can live another day to get hit again by another car.

I've had a huge buck hit the side of my car. I was doing a good 60-70mph and he bolts across the road, I'm hard on the brakes. Luckily I saw him in plenty of time for him to make it, but no he decides to double back to the other side of the road. I thought for sure he was coming in the car with me, as I was driving a convertible with the top/windows down, but he just barley grazed the rear of the car, took my antenna off with his antlers.

Where I hit that deer was near a nature preserve in suburban Nashville, about 10-15 miles south of downtown. So many deer there, you can usually see them grazing on people's lawns in the broad daylight when you drive through that neighborhood.You would swerve for a moose. Unless you are in a big truck, a head on collision with a full grown moose is likely to kill you. 2000 lbs in your lap at 60 mph is not a recipe for survival.

Ranger
07-05-13, 04:34 PM
A deer can do the same damage. Come to think of it, so can a low flying goose.

greencadillacmatt
07-05-13, 04:45 PM
A deer can do the same damage. Come to think of it, so can a low flying moose.

Fixed. :duck:

The-Dullahan
07-05-13, 06:18 PM

Depends. Lots of pigs are still processed in slauhterhouses where they are moved along by a chain where they hang from their feet alive and a worker slits their throats as they pass. At least last time I was jn a slaughterhouse they were doing it that way.

As for the accident, I have just recently had a similar experience where a Minivan lost control in the rain about a mile ahead of me and made inexcusable and a quarter flips.

I would like to say these type of things are the scariest things I've seen on the road.

concorso
07-05-13, 07:54 PM
A deer can do the same damage. Come to think of it, so can a low flying goose.Lol, in your own mind, perhaps. In reality, a small 500 lb deer will not do near the damage a full grown moose can. Moose can stand 7 feet tall at the shoulders and weigh 2000 lbs, and 1800 lbs of that weight will be above 4-5 feet.. When you hit a moose head on, you take out its legs and the huge upper portion of the moose lands squarely on the windshield. A moose will crush a small car and the entire family in it, saw it with my own eyes. Both occupants in the front of the civic were killed and 1 of the 2 rear occupants was killed. The other rear passenger had to be removed with the jaws of life. 2000 lbs is almost the weight of an NA miata in a smaller more compact package. If you can choose between a moose accident and the ditch, you choose the ditch. In fact, if I had to choose between hitting a moose broadside, and hitting an NA Miata head-on, I might choose the Miata. Sure, the impact speed will be twice as high, but airbags and front crash crumple zones may just save your life. Theyll do no good with a moose.

Submariner409
07-05-13, 08:04 PM
This has been in here before - in 2007. Minivan: 0 - deer: 0 (Minimal damage --------- right)(The driver walked away ! ! !)

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=13888

orconn
07-05-13, 09:35 PM
In Virginia there are at least a few fatalities each year from collisions with deer. I don't know about fatalities from Canadian geese ..... although I wish there were more geese in pots than on the thorough fares of the Old Dominion. That goes for deer too!

Bambi be damned, venison for all! Let them get deer instead of food stamps!

Kingoftypos
07-05-13, 09:38 PM
At least this didn't happen...

http://www.break.com/index/dash-cam-cow-sex-accident-this-video-2483120

KOT

Ranger
07-05-13, 09:54 PM
Lol, in your own mind, perhaps. In reality, a small 500 lb deer will not do near the damage a full grown moose can.
If you are picking fur out of your teeth from a strike at 70 MPH it hardly matters if it was a 500 lb deer or an 1800 lb moose. That's like saying a .22 won't do as much damage as a .45. True, but the outcome is the same. Either will (can) take your head off. In the end, if your head is rolling around in the back seat, it really doesn't matter how it got there.

orconn
07-05-13, 11:29 PM
A 500lb deer now that's one to look out for! Damn big deer.

ThumperPup
07-06-13, 12:31 AM

Yeah if u hit the dear the insurance will process the claim as compressive not at fault it u swerve to avoid it and hit something than u are at fault

Aron9000
07-06-13, 01:45 AM
You would swerve for a moose. Unless you are in a big truck, a head on collision with a full grown moose is likely to kill you. 2000 lbs in your lap at 60 mph is not a recipe for survival.

I've seen what a moose can do to a car, and unless I'm in a semi truck I would take my chances in the ditch.

orconn
07-06-13, 02:10 AM
Where is Nanook of the North to tell us all we would ever want to know about moose and their destruction potential?

The-Dullahan
07-06-13, 03:49 AM
I've seen what a moose can do to a car, and unless I'm in a semi truck I would take my chances in the ditch.

Saw a Cow hit by a Semi-turned-cement mixer once, because they roam freely on this one roadway where it is almost all blind turns. Only one part of the road has any sort of fence (which only stops them, due to their inability to jump it). I was there the other day, actually, recovering a Ford Focus that spun out and had the tyres come off the rims. The cows all thought I was there to feed them and came all the way across the fields/through the woods to come visit.

Anyhow, the Semi that hit the cow, which was just dandy, also completely destroyed the cow.

On that same roadway, I have seen basically all of Florida's native life (And much of it's non-native life) turned into roadkill. I have even caused a good deal of it.

CadillacLuke24
07-06-13, 04:13 AM
I have even caused a good deal of it.

Hence the skull collection

The-Dullahan
07-06-13, 05:50 AM
Hence the skull collection

Sometimes, yeah. Gotta be honest though, there are better ways. Besides, I haven't been driving forever. Had to improvise.

So a sister of mine was in this cemetery, right? And there was this hole in the ground with a part of a tombstone in it that said 1918. Anyhow, the hole went on even deeper and (Here is what happens when kids like us get technology) she remembered she had one of those cellular telephones, like the fancy ones with the camera in it, right? So she rolled the sleeve of her dress up and reached in and snapped some photographs. Long story short, I got some fantastic photo-messages that day.

Ranger
07-06-13, 11:01 AM
Why is it, every time a deer strike is discussed, someone has to one up it and mention moose? I suppose you could throw in elephants, rhinos and water buffalo as well, but there just aren't that many encounters. I've hit 2 deer. Dozens of near misses and hundreds of sitings. Never seen a moose so I'm not very worried about hitting one. There was estimated an estimated 1.23 million deer-vehicle collisions occurred in the U.S. between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012. Couldn't find any estimates for moose.

orconn
07-06-13, 11:39 AM
^^^ have never hit an elephant or rhino, but I did hit a camel once. Which is bigger a moose or a camel? I am sure we will hear from the Arctic one soon.

ThumperPup
07-06-13, 01:38 PM
About 10 years ago I was driving on 422 heading for a nice camping weekend with some friends my buddy tony was driving his mercedes ML 500
He hit not one but 2 dears
They where seriously commenting suicide because they both ran out into traffic and infront of the SUV and just looked at us we where doing 70 no damm way in hell we could stop
Or miss them

The-Dullahan
07-06-13, 01:58 PM
Why is it, every time a deer strike is discussed, someone has to one up it and mention moose? 1.23 million deer-vehicle collisions occurred in the U.S. between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012. Couldn't find any estimates for moose.

Moose ARE deer. Thereby, no one changed the subject. Likewise, your 1.23 million estimate should be including Moose.

Which is bigger a moose or a camel? I am sure we will hear from the Arctic one soon.

Depends on what type of Camel we're talking about. Dromedary Camels weigh about the same as adult Bull Moose. However the Bactrian Camel weighs substantially more, averaging between 800 to 1,000 pounds more.

So let's hear this story about hitting a camel. Even I've never done that. I've hit a lot of Alligators though.

Ranger
07-06-13, 02:53 PM
:banghead: I give up.

talismandave
07-06-13, 03:15 PM
That is nothing...the real damage is when you hit a Whale....those can really mess up your car!:ill:

Kingoftypos
07-06-13, 04:55 PM
How about a skunk that did no damage other than the smell?

KOT

orconn
07-06-13, 06:07 PM
Our ever enlightening Dullahan is quite right! It does depend on what kind of camel one happens to hit. Where I was living at the time, the lighter duty Dromedary was a mainstay of the areas transportation system. The first time I saw a Bactrian camel, in the zoo in the city of Khartoum in the Sudan, I was shocked to see not only their size but the heft of these beasts. These two humpers are truly the "Mack Camels" of the desert ship world. I have a picture of this huge camel somewhere, taken just before it tried to rip my friend's camera from hanging around his neck and almost doing the man in!

Fortunately my collision was with a youthful dromedary who was free of freight at the time. I was on my way back up the road which winds through two mountain ranges on its' way from sea level at the Red Sea to the 7000 foot plateau where the city of Asmara, Eritrea is located. The distance from the coastal plain to the escarpment at the edge of the plateau is only about 25 air miles, but it takes about 60 miles, at least, of switch backs to make the climb. The road was built by Italians during their colonial period in Eritrea and is still considered a major engineering feat. The road is also the only means of road transport from the Red Sea port of Massaua to the lovely capital city of Eritrea, Asmara.

On this particular day I was working my way back up the road, second and third gearing it, in a long wheel base 1964 Land Rover that I had borrowed from the U.S. East African Mapping Mission for a run to Massaua. I was about to corner a blind curve at about 30 mph when I was confronted with a young one humper rounding the bend at a high rate of speed. A collision was unavoidable. The young camel smashed the Land Rover's front bumper and hood (bonnet) and flipped up on the roof of the car. Fortunately for me the Land Rover was equipped with an accessory "sun shield' second roof and a reinforced cargo rack. The camel missed the windshield as he catapulted up on the roof crushing aluminum bodied front end and roofs in the process. Miraculously the Rover was still drivable even though it was would have been deemed "totaled" if it had been in the U.S. or Europe. As this happened in Africa, several workers with hammers spent weeks pounding out the bends and dents and the Land Rover lived to serve many more years of service (although not with the Mapping Mission.

It was possible to run into many things while driving wheeled vehicles in Africa. But I never heard of anyone actually hitting an elephant or a rhino. Many hit camels and many more were attacked by phalanxes of baboons who waited along the few highways to bombard cars and trucks with rocks and pieces of cactus. While vehicular traffic was never a problem, donkey and camel caravans often slowed car and truck traffic to a crawl. You think diesel fumes are bad, you have never experienced "camel smog!"

The-Dullahan
07-06-13, 08:02 PM
My most recent such story was much lead exciting.

Driving with a friend at around two AM one morning on the same aforementioned roadway, doing around 55 mph, I would wager, we came around one particularly tight curve that is in fact so very sharp of a turn that each lane doubles it's width to accommodate vehicles moving faster than they should be. As usual, there was no traffic on our dark, lightness road as we crept up to the turn and slowed the truck slightly. We came through to the very short straight section between this turn and the next (at most fifteen feet) and I saw something ahead of us. Something dark and so low to the ground I would not have seen it had I not been coming out of the turn. I am sure that from her seat it wasn't visible at all. With a sharp, quick THUD, we went over...or through...the obstacle. Didn't flinch or even brake. It was over and I knew that the truck was fine. She stirred and calmly rolled over to face me.

"What was that?"

"An alligator. Eight feet, maybe nine."

"Ahh."

orconn
07-06-13, 09:13 PM
Another of road hazards encountered on the same road where I had the collision with the young camel, was the occasional large python (we didn't really care much about going over the small ones, although we would try to avoid hitting those). As the road came off the plateau it descended into a deep valley where the vegetation was really thick and tropical. This deep valley, about three to four thousand almost straight down from the lip of the escarpment to the valley's floor, named "Python Valley" and was said to be the place where the longest pythons ever measured were caught.

I, personally, only ever encountered the small ones of about 15 feet, but the guys who drove the semi to the port of Massaua to pick up supplies said they had had to stop for snakes much larger. Some of which were at least two across their middles. They said they always stopped, fearing that running over a snake that big might really damage their truck!

Once in the bottom of Python Valley you had to climb, and switchback, up another 500 foot mountain ridge and down the other side before coming to the chaparral and the desert leading to the Red Sea. This [articular drive made the road used in this years Cadillac ATS commercials look like child's play .... and that was without the baboons, wayward camels, pythons and God knows what else lurked along this Eritrean road.

rodnok01
07-07-13, 12:28 AM
Here's on for ya Ranger.
Woman that used to work with wife hit a horse that got loose in something around size of Focus. She still can't walk right and almost lost an arm.... Blind corner no chance to react and in the dark. That'd suck anyway you slice it.

Ranger
07-07-13, 12:16 PM
Anything is possible (well almost anything). One night on my way home from work at about midnight I saw 2 glowing dots in front of me on the county back road. Thinking it was a deer, I slowed down only to find myself face to ugly face with hundreds of pounds of beef on the hoof. Thankfully he was looking in my direction because his ass doesn't glow in the dark like his eyes did.

orconn
07-07-13, 01:23 PM
^^^There you go! And how much did that bull weigh?

Ranger
07-07-13, 03:27 PM
Never stopped to ask. :noidea:

Aztec ETC ECS
07-08-13, 12:04 AM
The worst thing I ever hit was a bug.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-aV8n4ral1E/SfeUy0ElXAI/AAAAAAAAC1M/ThiClKPKC90/s400/bug-goo.jpg

But I did know someone who hit an old lady with his Cadillac.

orconn
07-08-13, 12:14 AM
I almost hit a formation of nuns who were out for their morning jog at 5:30 AM. Fortunately I saw them at the last minute as I was backing out of my driveway. They were coming two abreast down the middle of the street. I guess this was a regular routine with them; their nunnery was about three blocks from my house. You can bet I looked both ways as I backed out from that point forward!

I am sure the nuns would have cost me a lot more than Eritrean camels.

Aron9000
07-08-13, 05:08 AM
About two years ago driving in suburban Nashville I hit both a rabbit and a possum in my 91 Brougham on the same 30 mile trip from my friend's house back to mine.

The rabbit, well he just committed suicide. He jumped out from the ditch on the right at the last minute while I was doing 35mph, had enough time to say "HURRY UP!!!" before I heard/felt him double thunk under the left side wheels. I had enough time to lift off the gas, but that was it. Stopped and turned around to make sure it was a clean kill, I didn't want him twitching there for another hour or two with a busted spine, then have himself pecked to death by the vultures. Sure enough he was dead.

About 20 miles down the road on a narrow two lane which I was speeding, a possum tried to cross from the left side of the road right in front of my car. Once again it was one of those unavoidable collisions, I was hauling ass and just kept my line steady, by that point if I slammed on my brakes it would be a fight to keep the car in its lane around that sweeping right hander.

I had just enough time to see him scurry across the road and hoped that he would be in between the wheels. Nope, heard and felt a very solid thunk. I kind of tightened my line around that sweeping right hander, trying to keep him between the wheels. I know if I had taken that corner wide into the opposing lane I would have missed him. Once again I turned around, if it wasn't a clean kill, I was damn sure going to make sure I killed him the 2nd time I ran over him. Unfortunetly I just maimed him, no sign of him, I assumed he scurried into the ditch and woods to die.

concorso
07-08-13, 09:41 AM
If you are picking fur out of your teeth from a strike at 70 MPH it hardly matters if it was a 500 lb deer or an 1800 lb moose. That's like saying a .22 won't do as much damage as a .45. True, but the outcome is the same. Either will (can) take your head off. In the end, if your head is rolling around in the back seat, it really doesn't matter how it got there.I completely agree that death from low flying geese or fox or deer is no different then death from moose. Ive never heard of a fox or even a deer taking out the entire occupants of a vehicle, yet Ive heard of it numerous times with moose.

Hoosier Daddy
07-08-13, 10:25 AM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-aV8n4ral1E/SfeUy0ElXAI/AAAAAAAAC1M/ThiClKPKC90/s400/bug-goo.jpg

Yeah, I'd much rather hit a moose than some bugs:

http://www.retroradio.hu/images/cikkek/4/2/4/45424_g.jpg

Aztec ETC ECS
07-08-13, 10:38 AM
^ WOW! They got those by you?
I'll scratch AZ off my list of places to visit.

talismandave
07-08-13, 10:42 AM
Looks more like a Fla. bug to me...

Ranger
07-08-13, 11:58 AM

But I did know someone who hit an old lady with his Cadillac.
:histeric:

vincentm
07-08-13, 07:45 PM
That is nothing...the real damage is when you hit a Whale....those can really mess up your car!:ill:

Oh well, she shouldn't have ordered that expensive steak and then complain the date was lousy, while wearing sandals that makes it look like she's baking bread in her shoes..

The-Dullahan
07-08-13, 08:02 PM
We've got pythons here in Florida. The state changed the laws in 2008 when some people killed their kid and used a put python as a scapegoat. New laws made moat if us release our snakes into the wild (they wanted us to kill them) and it only increased the wild population 50 fold.

I got my paperwork done and can still keep them. Coupled with a class 3 licence I can keep basically anything as a pet now.

I need a pit of lions...

Aron9000
07-09-13, 06:31 PM
^ WOW! They got those by you?
I'll scratch AZ off my list of places to visit.

Yep, and they keep this guy prisoner in area 51 . . . .

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3KFE7B0EqlsN3-Od4-m3QAxQ75BR2w1Y406TOIteewDL2bKQL

truckinman
07-09-13, 08:59 PM
My step dad, back in 89, hit an old lady who was drunk off her ass with his brand new 89 Camry. She went thru his windshield head first! She got up n walked away! Unphased! He got out and physically stopped her. Told her he wasn't letting her go until the cops got there bc of the damage to his new car.

She threw about 13 beer cans out from her coat into the bushes right in front of him lol.

The cops and medic got there and the medic had to give her a shot so he says to the lady "this might hurt". The cop looked at the medic and said "she just put her head thru the windshield of a 30 mph car and walked away. I highly doubt the shot will hurt".

orconn
07-09-13, 09:17 PM
^^^ That lady would have made a helluva camel!

Hoosier Daddy
07-09-13, 09:46 PM
My step dad, back in 89, hit an old lady who was drunk off her ass with his brand new 89 Camry. She went thru his windshield head first! She got up n walked away! Unphased! He got out and physically stopped her. Told her he wasn't letting her go until the cops got there bc of the damage to his new car.
Boy did that bring back a memory. In 1967 or '68 an old man stepped right into the street in front of me in a 45 MPH zone. There was oncoming traffic and people on the sidewalk so there was no where to go. I have no idea how much I got slowed down by the time I hit him but he rolled across the hood and over the top. I was sure he was in bad shape but he got right up and later refused to get in the ambulance when it arrived.

Weeks later I got a letter telling me I had to appear in court on such and such date and time. Being a kid, I figured they were throwing the book at me for something. It didn't dawn on me at the time that I would have received a citation at the scene. So I showed up at court to find I was being called as a witness against the (turned out to be 90 year old) man for jay walking! Damn, did I feel bad. His 70 year old daughter was really giving the judge a piece of her mind and had to be ejected.

CadillacLuke24
07-09-13, 10:39 PM
Oh well, she shouldn't have ordered that expensive steak and then complain the date was lousy, while wearing sandals that makes it look like she's baking bread in her shoes..

Damn Kardashians anyways.

Aztec ETC ECS
07-10-13, 12:07 PM
My step dad, back in 89, hit an old lady who was drunk off her ass with his brand new 89 Camry.
When my friend hit the old lady, he was drunk & she died.
The occurrence made him drink more and then he died.

The-Dullahan
07-10-13, 05:05 PM
Looks more like a Fla. bug to me...

Florida bugs always bring friends. Driving for about two hours through Florida, making two stops on the trip to clean the car, looks like this.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/The-Dullahan/IMAG0217-1.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/The-Dullahan/IMAG0218-1.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/The-Dullahan/IMAG0216-1.jpg

As for rabbits, you cannot hear or feel them if they are hit by one of my cars. I normally just check the rearview and see if they are rolling towards my car, indicating they did get hit. Throughout the year, I probably take out between 300-400 rabbits with my cars.

And as for nuns, I avoid hitting them. I like nuns. Four of my best friends are weapon-toting, motorbike-riding nuns.

orconn
07-10-13, 05:19 PM
I have always tried to avoid hitting nuns with my car .... even though I have been told hitting a nun is worth a lot of points! I have tried to not make a habit of hitting camels as well!

Ranger
07-10-13, 09:44 PM
:yeah: Nuns are worth double points.

I know a couple of nuns that ride bikes , sell dope and turn tricks in their spare time. Being from Illinois, they can now start to (legally) carry concealed.

orconn
07-11-13, 12:05 AM
^^^ They were probably in the State House before they took Holy Orders!

The-Dullahan
07-11-13, 04:22 AM
One of the four I know is a skilled Martial Artist and formerly taught Swordsmanship. Naturally, that is how I met her. I met one of the others first, who I then met again a little over a year later when however unlikely, our paths crossed again. She insisted on introducing me to the other three. I have gone on to joke that I would have my weaponsmith make her a broadsword with inch markings engraved into it, like a yardstick. She...did not find it as funny as I did.

Anyhow, it is good to know such people. Two different...teams, shall we say, but we work towards several common goals. Also, large quantities of Holy Water come in handy, such as a couple months back when I replaced my Radiator. (Yes. My Cadillac and Pontiac both use Holy Water for cooling purposes)

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/The-Dullahan/HW1_zpsca42e5b6.jpg