: buying used 99 catera..questions and help

k-dubb
02-19-05, 04:42 PM
Im looking about buying a 99 black catera with 74,450 miles on it. I have been reading about problems with these in earlier years. Should i get this car? Should i get the warranty? It is 100 extra dollars and includes all lubricated engine parts and they pay half on other things like the ac. Any problems ppl have had with this year of car? Any problems i should look for before purchasing?

thank you so much

97Catera
02-19-05, 04:58 PM
make sure all the recalls were done,yes definetly get the warranty.check the tires before you buy it and make sure they aren't worn on the inside.check the oil filler valley and coolant tank to make sure they arent discolored.There should only be dex-cool in the car which should be red/orange if its green coolant i think it should be changed.Other than that the car should be good oh yea see if they can do a basic tune-up before purchase plugs,wires,oil-air-fuel filters, then you should be good to go.

k-dubb
02-19-05, 05:01 PM
thanks for the reply. What do you mean by oil filler valley?

Vesicant
02-19-05, 05:16 PM
Oil fill valley.. there can be a white build up of condensated oil that splashes around in the valve cover. This usually signifies an oil cooler leak (letting coolant into the oil system).

97Catera
02-19-05, 05:36 PM
the oil filler valley is where you pour the oil into the motor it has a yellow cap the valley is the black tube that runs to the motor.