: Engine misfire/stall codes

chuckdobbins
02-19-05, 03:52 PM
My parents have a wonderful 99 DeVille. As of late it has been very sluggish and it stutters when accelerating from a stop. It has 2 codes, one was 0300, I forget the other. I do remember the descriptions

Engine Misfire
Engine Stall/Near Stall Detected

I guessed a spark problem, or possible injector problem

They took it to the dealer, and got new plugs and wires, and something replaced in the EGR system...whatever it was the part was a few hundred bucks.

Needless to say the car runs like new now. And there's no codes showing. But my father is questioning the plugs/wires being changed, cuz the car only has 70k on the clock.

My dad requested the old plugs/wires from the dealer, and he has them with him. He wanted me to ask if anybody knew exactly what kind of plugs/wires went into the 99 DeVille from the factory...Just to make sure that the correct ones were in to begin with, and the correct ones went back in after being replaced.

Thanks for your help,
Chuck

haymaker
02-19-05, 06:01 PM
The plugs and wires if original would have been AC-Delco parts. The plugs are AC-Delco dual platinum tip and the plug wires are also AC-Delco and should have been numbered along the surface as to their cylinder location 1 through 8. The symptoms you describe, stuttering (missing) or being sluggish on acceleration are both signs of an ignition misfire and the possible cause of the P0300 misfire code. I replaced the plugs and plug wires on my ď97 SLS at just under 70K for the same reasons. Some of the members on this forum are getting over 100k out of their plugs and wires but not me. I may have been able to re-gap the old plugs and get a few thousand more miles out of them but the hassle of removing and replacing the rear four plugs just wasnít worth it.

I donít know about the EGR replacement? Was an EGR code set such as P0404?

chuckdobbins
02-19-05, 10:14 PM
No, there were 3 other codes, but they were not engine related. They were 2 airbag codes and 1 was something about a networking failure or something...which caused the 2 airbag codes. Anyways, those were no big deal.

After talking to my father again, I guess the dealer didn't have the plugs to give back to us? I'm pretty sure that's against state law. The wires say nothing but "Packard" on them, and they are all numbered as well.

I really don't know what part of the EGR system could be 500 bucks. If memory serves me correct, there's a valve I think that was quite costly, but 500 for one part...ouch.

Anyways, thanks for your information.

Ranger
02-20-05, 10:32 AM
OEM plugs are A/C Delco 41-950. Pachard wires are not OEM to the best of my knowledge. The dealer probably replaced the EGR valve. I don't know how much they are but dealers are notoriously high for parts. EGR valves rarely need to be replaced. They just need to have the carbon cleaned off the pintle valve ocassionaly but dealers never do that. They just R&R parts.

91TexasSeville
02-20-05, 01:24 PM
OEM plugs are A/C Delco 41-950. Pachard wires are not OEM to the best of my knowledge. The dealer probably replaced the EGR valve. I don't know how much they are but dealers are notoriously high for parts. EGR valves rarely need to be replaced. They just need to have the carbon cleaned off the pintle valve ocassionaly but dealers never do that. They just R&R parts.

Good point Ranger

EGR parts are pretty robust due to the nature of their environment. A good "careful" cleaning is all that is normally required.

mcowden
02-20-05, 02:34 PM
Packard wires are, in fact, the ones that come from the factory. If that's what was on there before the car went to the dealership, they were original wires. Replacement OEMs for factory wires are AC-Delco's, not Packards. I don't know why that is, but that's how it works. Maybe Bbobynski knows.

Also, the OEM plugs were not 41-950's. That is the replacement for the factory plugs, which were 41-929's. Don't know why they changed them or when the spec was updated, but 41-950's are what should go in them from now on.

Hope that helps...