: 08 CTS Engine Rattle

CTSILLAC
07-04-13, 08:17 PM
I have a 2008 CTS4 with base 3.6 engine. Over the last year I started to notice a rattle coming from under the hood / engine when I am accelerating around the 2k rpm area. The sound is a rattle that reminds me of a spray paint can ball. It doesn't rattle while coasting or in neutral and won't rattle when the car is stopped and I rev the engine. It's gotten mildly worse over time but is somewhat inconsistent.

I've researched this to death online and although I see other people commenting that they have the same sound from their 08, I've yet to find someone with an answer.

Someone must know what this is, it appears to be an issue other are having.

C&C
07-05-13, 04:52 AM
The first thing I would try (unless you are sure it is mechanical) is to try some high octane fuel. Under load and low in the torque curve you may be experiencing ping. While your engine doesn't require premium, if you have acquired some carbon deposits (over the years), ping can occur. If the premium corrects your concerns, a change in fuel (to toptier) and/or fuel additive, i.e. SeaFoam, Techron, etc., and some high spirited accelerations, this may correct you condition. If mechanical, it could be the timing chain or tensioner (not good); but first things first.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-05-13, 12:11 PM
I have a 2008 CTS4 with base 3.6 engine. Over the last year I started to notice a rattle coming from under the hood / engine when I am accelerating around the 2k rpm area. The sound is a rattle that reminds me of a spray paint can ball. It doesn't rattle while coasting or in neutral and won't rattle when the car is stopped and I rev the engine. It's gotten mildly worse over time but is somewhat inconsistent.

I've researched this to death online and although I see other people commenting that they have the same sound from their 08, I've yet to find someone with an answer.

Someone must know what this is, it appears to be an issue other are having.

Hello CTSILLAC,

I apologize for the rattling noise you have noticed under the hood of your vehicle. I understand how trying to figure this issue out can be frustrating. If you private message me with your contact information, VIN and current mileage, I am more than happy to look into this concern for you.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

Overclock This
07-05-13, 01:02 PM
I have this exact same issue and it seems like it's worse when the weather is hotter.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-05-13, 03:35 PM
I have this exact same issue and it seems like it's worse when the weather is hotter.

Hello Overclock This,

I am sorry you are also experiencing this issue. If you private message me with your contact information, VIN and current mileage, I can look into this matter for you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

jovi440
07-05-13, 05:38 PM
The first thing I would try (unless you are sure it is mechanical) is to try some high octane fuel. Under load and low in the torque curve you may be experiencing ping. While your engine doesn't require premium, if you have acquired some carbon deposits (over the years), ping can occur. If the premium corrects your concerns, a change in fuel (to toptier) and/or fuel additive, i.e. SeaFoam, Techron, etc., and some high spirited accelerations, this may correct you condition. If mechanical, it could be the timing chain or tensioner (not good); but first things first.

My 08 has never done this, but I think C&C has hit the nail on the head.Cadillac can clean all this, I believe for around $240 and is recommended somewhere around every 30000 miles, but i'm not sure about the mileage.