: 1976 Coupe De Ville

blueboy
07-04-13, 10:49 AM
Its been standing for some 5 years. It had stabiliser put in the gas tank and it fired up about a year ago. I'm concerned about the timing gears. The main sprocket is made of plastic. I have purchased a royes steel replacement. I have very little experience with these old 500ci engines and am wondering what the job entails to replace said timing gears. I have had a lot of suggestions from, 'don't try to fix what ain't broke!', to 'don't try to crank that thing with that old plastic timing gear. If it breaks the engine is history and will need total rebuild!'. I have also been advised that while stripping the front to replace the timing gears I should replace the camshaft as its accessible at the time of stripping down the front of the engine. Comments please.

csbuckn
07-04-13, 12:13 PM
I wouldnt worry about the gears. The cam cant be changed without taking the intake off to take the lifters out. The problem with this job is the crank sprocket. It gets seized on and sometimes has to be cut off. Both mine did.

77CDV
07-04-13, 05:12 PM
Absent an overwhelming reason, I'd leave well alone.

The Ape Man
07-06-13, 10:07 AM
The camshafts on real Cadillac engines are tough as nails and have a very easy life.

It is not a 78 Chevy 305.