: How do I clear codes?

Jimbad
02-18-05, 07:15 PM
'93 ETC: I get to "PCM?" and then I get to "Clear Codes" and I indicate "yes", but every time I get back into the diagnostic mode the same old codes are still there. Over the past two weeks I have done this 7 ot 8 times, all to no avail. What in the world am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Jim

Keyth
02-18-05, 07:16 PM
Just a suggestion... Maybe fix the problem..

Jimbad
02-18-05, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the heartfelt "suggestion", but it is not an answer. I hope that someone with some real information will respond.

turbojimmy
02-18-05, 09:15 PM
The "heartfelt suggestion" is the answer. You will continue to see codes until you fix the problem. You can clear the codes, but they'll only be gone until the PCM detects the problem again.

You're not doing anything wrong. Fix the problem, the codes will go away.

Jim

csbeard
02-19-05, 06:20 AM
I reset the codes by disconnecting the battery. Let it set for a few minutes and reconnect. That will reset the codes. Or anyway it worked for me.

Steve Beard

Jimbad
02-19-05, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the replies but the codes to which I refer are in "History". Shouldn't they be "clearable"?

csbeard
02-19-05, 04:27 PM
When I took the battery lose, it cleared the history codes for me.
Have you tried that. Other wise I don't know.
Steve Beard

Jimbad
02-20-05, 01:31 PM
Thanks, Steve, I did do that but it did not clear the codes in history.
Jim

Keyth
03-05-05, 07:47 PM
Ok if fixing the problem is out of the question... Then when U are in diagnostic mode and you scroll to Clear PCM, Press the UP button to select... I should say Codes Cleared... Now if the problem is not fixed it will come back.. And U have to repeat process to clear for each ex. TCS, PCM, SIR....

mcowden
03-05-05, 08:40 PM
To answer your earlier question, yes, a History code should be cleared if you see 'CODES CLEARED," but if you see the code again, it is becoming Current at some point. The various tests for problems are not constantly executed. They occur at different time periods, under different conditions, after certain events, at certain temperatures, speeds, etc. So, while the car is sitting in the driveway not running, a code that indicates a faulty oxygen sensor for example will be History because the car isn't running and it's not running an O2 sensor test. What you need to do is tell us what the code is and/or identify exactly when it's Current. If we know the code, somebody here will probably be able to tell you when it's becoming current and/or what the conditions have to be for the test for that problem to happen. Either way, if we know the code somebody will be able to help you further.

Good luck...

Jimbad
03-06-05, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the reply, Michael (and all others). I found out that what I have to do is go into the apllicable subsystem and clear the code(s) there. Answering "yes" to the PCM "clear codes?" question clears only PCM codes.
Jim