: Used Cadillac CTS-V Wagons flooding the market

Fieldgoal00
07-03-13, 02:27 PM
Does anyone know why there are so many Used CTS-V wagons on the market right now with such low mileage? I've seen about 10 so far that all have less than 15,000 miles and actually a few that have less than 8000 miles and are 2012 models. I'm looking at these to buy, but with all of these being so low mileage and already on the used market, it brings up a red flag. Can you guys calm me down and help me lower the red flag?

neuronbob
07-03-13, 02:50 PM
They are probably GM program vehicles. They are usually well cared for and driven by executives, or occasionally by other employees.

Don't worry about them, they are under warranty. I considered buying one but the one I wanted was snapped up in a hurry, so I ended up just buying new.

I wouldn't call 10 or so "flooding the market", LOL! V wagons are rare beasts, and 6MT ones even more so.

Fieldgoal00
07-03-13, 02:54 PM
I was really interested in a 6MT one but the A6 transmissions can be tuned to shift very fast in manual mode, and since I do a lot of city driving the manual really would get tiring after a while. Yeah the one I'm looking at is a 2012 with 8,000 miles and they are only asking $50,000 for it. It has the recaros and black wheels with yellow calipers and the suede steering wheel option without a sunroof. Being 6'2 the sunroof takes up a lot of headroom.

Tgonyaw
07-03-13, 05:11 PM
I recommend doing a GM VISS report along with getting the service history. This is simple if the car is at a GM dealership. If not take the vin number to a friendly dealer. You want to be sure the warranty does not have a block on any part of it.

dennych
07-03-13, 05:29 PM
They are probably GM program vehicles. They are usually well cared for and driven by executives, or occasionally by other employees.

Don't worry about them, they are under warranty. I considered buying one but the one I wanted was snapped up in a hurry, so I ended up just buying new.

I wouldn't call 10 or so "flooding the market", LOL! V wagons are rare beasts, and 6MT ones even more so.

Not all of them are for execs. Many of them get used by Journalists who have their way with ol bessie. I'm not saying they're all bad but it's something to consider. After all how much do you care about your rental cars ;)?

Random84
07-03-13, 05:58 PM
Not all of them are for execs. Many of them get used by Journalists who have their way with ol bessie. I'm not saying they're all bad but it's something to consider. After all how much do you care about your rental cars ;)?

+1

All the cars in the R&T articles go somewhere. You also probably have quite a few lease turn-ins, and of course those cars that get damaged during production (ie VMoose) but the buyer backs out? Yeah, those cars wind up as "exec" vehicles too.

It's a gamble, but if you get a competitive price IMHO it's no more a gamble than buying any used car. How many guys here have "going back to stock" sales on the EE prior to trade-in?

Used cars are cheaper for several reasons - and the mileage is just part of it. :D With that said, I think the odds are in your favor of getting a quality vehicle.

spearfish25
07-03-13, 10:22 PM
Being 6'2 the sunroof takes up a lot of headroom.

Are you sitting in the back seat when you drive? I only noticed rear headroom being limited. I'm pretty impressed with how much headroom I have up front...could definitely wear a helmet comfortably. With the sunroof shade retracted, you'd probably have more headroom than with no sunroof at all. For the first time in a car, I actually really like having a sunroof.

Jinx
07-04-13, 06:44 AM
Not a new phenomenon. I first started seriously looking a few months ago and there were "a lot" of V wagons out there, new and used. I never found a manual with Recaros except one Mocha-painted car.

They could also be dealer demos -- I know the dealer I ordered my wagon from had an automatic when I first started my search, and that same wagon is still on his lot.

Of course the perception of "a lot" takes a dive when you're on a website that doesn't distinguish bodystyles and you have to go through pages of sedans to find a couple wagons. And just surf by price range and see how few CTS-Vs there are compared to other makes.

USAFRET
07-04-13, 07:46 AM
As long as you get the warranty and new tires who cares.

Random84
07-04-13, 08:40 AM
Are you sitting in the back seat when you drive? I only noticed rear headroom being limited. I'm pretty impressed with how much headroom I have up front...could definitely wear a helmet comfortably. With the sunroof shade retracted, you'd probably have more headroom than with no sunroof at all. For the first time in a car, I actually really like having a sunroof.

My V Wagon has no sunroof; my wife's CTS Wagon has the ultraview. I drive both regularly - there is easily 2 inches of additional headroom lost to the ultraview in the driving position. This is detectable not only while sitting, but by looking at the profile of the roof relative to the sunshades, windshield, etc.

I generally position the seat as low as it will go in the tracks, and in my car I have 2-3 inches of clearance (with the additional 3/4" coming from Recaros). In my wife's base car, my hair brushes the border of the sunroof. For reference, I'm 6-2, 235lb. I have a relatively long torso with a 35" waist.

That doesn't make the ultraview uncomfortable at all, it just means that if you're tall and/or bump your head with the ultraview, having no ultraview will give you the clearance you need. If you're a track rat - then that allows you to wear a helmet more comfortably.

Chrispy
07-05-13, 11:16 AM
I found the exact same thing. I'm 6-1 and sitting in the backseat with the UV is brutal. Also in the front seat with a helmet you're basically tilting your head. Add to that the weight, creaking etc and no sunroof is definitely the better option for me.

My V Wagon has no sunroof; my wife's CTS Wagon has the ultraview. I drive both regularly - there is easily 2 inches of additional headroom lost to the ultraview in the driving position. This is detectable not only while sitting, but by looking at the profile of the roof relative to the sunshades, windshield, etc.

I generally position the seat as low as it will go in the tracks, and in my car I have 2-3 inches of clearance (with the additional 3/4" coming from Recaros). In my wife's base car, my hair brushes the border of the sunroof. For reference, I'm 6-2, 235lb. I have a relatively long torso with a 35" waist.

That doesn't make the ultraview uncomfortable at all, it just means that if you're tall and/or bump your head with the ultraview, having no ultraview will give you the clearance you need. If you're a track rat - then that allows you to wear a helmet more comfortably.

Fieldgoal00
07-05-13, 03:52 PM
Of course, the one I was looking at just got a deposit on it, two hours before I was going to test drive it and purchase it, now only to hope that the person that put down the deposit backs out for some reason.

DavidPR
07-05-13, 05:59 PM
I am 6'5" and I do not wear a helmet comfortably with a sunroof/sedan. Every autocross is a headbanging session. I wish I would have not gotten the sunroof.

opposite locker
07-05-13, 09:23 PM
Are any of these used wagons with a 6mt? Having a helluva time finding one, so just ordered a new '14...wouldn't mind picking up a used one & canceling the order

the blur
07-07-13, 03:40 PM
6'5" with helmet doesn't work in these cars with UV.

Xaqtly
07-07-13, 03:54 PM

I'm 6'3, and with the seat all the way down on the floor, I have less than half an inch of clearance. It might actually be less than 1/4" clearance, my head is very close to touching the ceiling. There's zero chance I would be able to wear a helmet in my car without drastically changing my driving position. Now we know that the sunroof removes about 1.1" of head clearance, so I'd be much better off without it, in terms of headroom.

the blur
07-07-13, 03:55 PM
Where do you see vagons flooding the market?? What sites?

Zderf
07-07-13, 04:00 PM
Well, now I find this web site and this link. I am awaiting the arrival of a Red 2012 V Wagon, auto, no sun roof, Recaros, matt black wheels, yellow calipers, with 8000 miles ($69,800 MSRP). I bid on it the minute it appeared in EBay. SOLD...It wasn't $50k unfortunately, but not far off. The CARFAX shows it was registered only in Flint, MI, then sold at auction shortly thereafter. The pre-buy inspection revealed the 8,000 miles is correct, and it does not appear to have been abused. Am I lucky?123241

neuronbob
07-07-13, 07:51 PM
Yes, and welcome to the (vanishingly small, and let's keep it that way) V wagon club.

Jinx
07-07-13, 08:39 PM
To hell with that -- I hope they sell two thousand of them in MY2014. Future spares. Especially since the unique parts are all in the back where inattentive drivers like to introduce themselves.

AussiePete
07-08-13, 07:08 PM
Some of these used GM Exec leasing vehicles are indeed 6 speed MT, like the one I bought 3 weeks ago.. :)

neuronbob
07-08-13, 10:13 PM
To hell with that -- I hope they sell two thousand of them in MY2014. Future spares. Especially since the unique parts are all in the back where inattentive drivers like to introduce themselves.

LOL! I guess I can agree with that. Spare parts for the survivors....

dc44
07-08-13, 10:22 PM
I went to see this car. Clean vehicle, nice owner (silverbullet99 - Mike is the owner). I decided to buy new, that's why I passed.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/cadillac-cts-vs-for-sale/p11121-fs-3a-2011-black-diamond-m6-wagon-2c-30k-miles-2c2452k.html

Are any of these used wagons with a 6mt? Having a helluva time finding one, so just ordered a new '14...wouldn't mind picking up a used one & canceling the order

opposite locker
07-10-13, 03:48 AM
If only that car wasn't black, I'd be all over it. But gets too hot out here in the summer (central valley, ca) for a black on black car. And other used 6mt wagons out there?

Jinx
07-10-13, 10:46 AM
It also has the UltraView roof. Just leave it open to vent the interior :)

I wonder what a V wagon would look like with a stainless steel roof....

Fieldgoal00
07-12-13, 03:41 PM
Well, now I find this web site and this link. I am awaiting the arrival of a Red 2012 V Wagon, auto, no sun roof, Recaros, matt black wheels, yellow calipers, with 8000 miles ($69,800 MSRP). I bid on it the minute it appeared in EBay. SOLD...It wasn't $50k unfortunately, but not far off. The CARFAX shows it was registered only in Flint, MI, then sold at auction shortly thereafter. The pre-buy inspection revealed the 8,000 miles is correct, and it does not appear to have been abused. Am I lucky?123241

Lucky you, I was scheduled to test drive that car Friday morning and purchase it when I found out that they had received a deposit on it from you. I had been negotiating a price with them since 7/2. I guess my luck ran out.

----------

Lucky you, I was scheduled to test drive that car Friday morning and purchase it when I found out that they had received a deposit on it from you. I had been negotiating a price with them since 7/2. I guess my luck ran out.

----------

Zderf can you PM me your email address? your PM box is full so I can't PM you