: Will a simple tune improve mgp?

flycaster
07-03-13, 11:05 AM
I'm not looking to track my ATS. Nor am I looking to street drag. But a little extra power never hurts. I really know nothing about tunes, but I think I have read that our ATSs have over-ripe fuel mixtures and that tuning could improve on this situation and thus improve mpg. I'd consider a simple tune (just the software and no added equipment) to get some more HP, but not at the expense of decreased mpg. Could someone explain some of the pluses/minuses and costs of this approach to increasing one's driving fun?

M5eater
07-03-13, 01:16 PM
I find tune's typically hurt my real-world.

Why?

Boost is a helluva drug.

flycaster
07-03-13, 01:31 PM
I find tune's typically hurt my real-world.

Why?

Boost is a helluva drug.

Now if I read between the lines, nothing wrong when the smoking lamp is lit, eh?

EnvoyBu
07-04-13, 07:13 AM
It depends on how you drive, as stated above by M5.

If you buy the tune and tool around in the car flooring it at every light, obviously you'll get bad mileage. However, I have a tune on my 3.6L and I find I don't have to rev the motor as high to move the car. So with that being said, I picked up an MPG or to, not to mention MUCH better driveability and more power if desired.

M5eater
07-04-13, 08:54 AM
Now if I read between the lines, nothing wrong when the smoking lamp is lit, eh?
If the boost is on, it's time to have fun.

Otherwise you might see 1-1.5mpg improvement when your out of boost. I haven't seen the trifecta tables but generally most 'tuners' lean out the whole band.

You'll defintially see lower MPG while in boost as duty cycles are increased to compensate for the higher boost.

Which is all pretty hard to understand without a boost gauge.