: Trunk does not pop up...?

golf18mike
07-03-13, 10:00 AM
I recently purchased a 2008 cts in the trunk is very hard to lift up. My question is are the struts on needed to be replaced? Once up, it stays up with no problem. So to make it clear when I press the button to unlock the trunk it online but I have to lift it open will new struts open the trunk wide open?

tinman
07-03-13, 12:13 PM
No.

When you hit the button it only "unlocks", it does not pop wide open. If you want it to pop wide open you need a Wagon!!!

golf18mike
07-03-13, 05:18 PM
Thank you for your speedy response! That clears that up.

C "T" ess
07-04-13, 11:24 AM
On my coupe the trunk also opens wide.

tinman
07-04-13, 12:26 PM
My three sedans I have had while my transmission was being repaired never had the trunks pop open wide. They just cracked open.

gohawks63
07-04-13, 01:44 PM

The sedan doesn't open wide because it has the hydraulic struts and hinges. The coupe has the spring loaded elbows. That's why the coupe will pop and rise.

dreiloft
07-04-13, 05:32 PM

The sedan doesn't open wide because it has the hydraulic struts and hinges. The coupe has the spring loaded elbows. That's why the coupe will pop and rise.

My 2012 coupe only rises one inch at best since the day I bought it. You can not even tell that it is open until you get a warning that the trunk is open when you start the car.

tinman
07-04-13, 05:38 PM
Welcome to the world called Cadillac.

Xav8tor
07-04-13, 06:10 PM
My 2012 coupe only rises one inch at best since the day I bought it. You can not even tell that it is open until you get a warning that the trunk is open when you start the car.

Same here. It unlocks, can be easily lifted and stays put, but no pop up either...none.

gohawks63
07-04-13, 06:36 PM

My 2012 coupe only rises one inch at best since the day I bought it. You can not even tell that it is open until you get a warning that the trunk is open when you start the car.[/QUOTE]

Mine too, but it moves more than the sedan.

99flhr
07-04-13, 08:59 PM
OMG, I have to open my own trunk.......Oh the humanity..

dreiloft
07-04-13, 09:53 PM

Mine too, but it moves more than the sedan.[/QUOTE]

You contradicted yourself from your previous post. Where you state the the coupe will pop and rise. I do not consider less than an inch a rise.

gohawks63
07-05-13, 01:13 AM
Mine too, but it moves more than the sedan.

You are contradicted yourself from your previous post. Where you state the the coupe will pop and rise. I do not consider less than an inch a rise.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean it would rise completely. Just a few inches. More than my Mustang that has the struts and hinges like the CTS sedan. With that the only way you know the trunk is open is the warning in the dash.

Surfstix
07-05-13, 08:11 AM
My coupes trunk also pops open my 09 sedan did not.

C "T" ess
07-05-13, 11:00 AM
To be clear, my 2012 Coupe's trunk opens wide when the lock is released, in the fully open position. I wonder if any of the people with the problem might have a rear spoiler. That extra weight would keep the trunk from opening wide.

dreiloft
07-05-13, 11:38 AM
To be clear, my 2012 Coupe's trunk opens wide when the lock is released, in the fully open position. I wonder if any of the people with the problem might have a rear spoiler. That extra weight would keep the trunk from opening wide.

Yes, I have a spoiler on mine. Good point.

Xav8tor
07-05-13, 12:06 PM

I do have a spoiler, so maybe that's it, but those things are very light...about five or six pounds, so there isn't much behind the "pop." I know I had one car that would launch a Grande from Starbucks all the way over the roof onto the hood!

snafu
07-05-13, 09:36 PM
Are there different rear trunk struts for cars with / without the spoiler? If so would you also have the part numbers.
I've added the factory rear spoiler and would upgrade the struts if they are different.

C "T" ess
07-06-13, 12:02 PM
I'm not aware of any special struts on the sedan. The coupe doesn't use struts. As far as the weight of the spoiler; even a few extra pounds is enough to make a difference. Next time you at your dealers, try a coupe or sedan without the spoiler.

snafu
07-06-13, 11:42 PM
I agree that shouldn't affect it that much due to the weight of the spoiler, but our Miata when we added a spoiler had an adjustment to allow for the additional weight so I thought there might be. No issue as the trunk still open- thanks