: limp mode

boomys10
07-03-13, 09:52 AM
car is now going into limp mode. we replaced the wheel bearing Monday and the car ran fine all of Tuesday, when I left work to drive home it was low on gas (not empty only took 14gals to fill up) left the lot came to a stop and the car completely died and said engine power reduced in display. shut it off, restarted still in limp mode got to the gas station about a mile up the road, (took forever!!) unplugged neg battery and filled up gas. drove home no issues. remote started car this morning, it shut off bc I was running slightly late. restarted it backed out of drive way and made it all over 1/10 of a mile before the first stop sign, car died AGAIN and displayed same message. pulled in neighbors driveway disconnected neg battery and restarted car, cleared the limp mode message and made it to three driveways up to the next stop sign and the car died AGAIN AGAIN. backed into another neighbors driveway disconnected neg battery and restarted car. drove fine the 10mile drive to work, with many stops in between. any ideas what could be causing this? I have to get home and im sure it wont throw a code when I can make it to a parts store to have codes pulled.. (I need to buy a scanner just cant right now)

Dave G
07-03-13, 10:14 AM
Sounds like bad gas to me. And not the kind you get from too much curry.

boomys10
07-03-13, 10:24 AM
that would cause limp mode? I got it from shell.. and its 93.

bobs-sts-v
07-03-13, 10:28 AM
Not sure about the gas - he said it died the first time BEFORE he filled up. Sounds like a bad injector.

boomys10
07-03-13, 10:35 AM
also, this just started, the car idles fine with no issues at all. even when started with that reduced power message it will rev up fine. only shows hates me when its moving. lol

boomys10
07-03-13, 06:07 PM
p2135 is the code its throwing. someone advise please.

TimmyC
07-03-13, 06:41 PM
looks like a throttle body code. Either that or the pedal.

boomys10
07-03-13, 07:16 PM
pedal? like gas pedal?

kbf250
07-03-13, 08:35 PM
p2135 refers to throttle position sensor.

DennisW
07-03-13, 09:18 PM
I had the same intermittent issue on my '07 duramax. Couldn't wait for the solution so I replaced the pedal and wiring to the PCM in one shot. 2 years and 40k miles, no more issues.

TimmyC
07-03-13, 10:29 PM
p2135 refers to throttle position sensor.

There are two position sensors in the throttle body and two in the pedal. They all have to match. It sounds like one of them is not working properly. It could be a wiring issue but that is not terribly likely. I've seen it before on a car that had some damage to the engine harness. One of the throttle pedal wires was broken where it went into the computer.

I had the same intermittent issue on my '07 duramax. Couldn't wait for the solution so I replaced the pedal and wiring to the PCM in one shot. 2 years and 40k miles, no more issues.

The duramax doesn't have a throttle body so that is not necessarily a good indicator of what this problem is.

boomys10
07-03-13, 11:03 PM
tb is ordered, should be in mid next week, slightly pissed about that since the one in the car is only a few months old currently. the company I ordered it from is warranting the last one but had to buy another one and have it shipped then ship the old one back and ill get my refund. wish they could be found local, damnit. also, when I started tearing into removing everything I noticed the coupler from the timmyc intake was slightly loose on the tb. from what I have read that could cause it, also, there is some black sticky shit around the tb blade, that also could cause it. that will be cleaned tmrrw when my friend brings some tools over since my old roomie took mine and I don't have half my stuff anymore. where can a pedal be purchased, haven't called the dealer bc I don't feel like paying, im sure, 500 for something that can be had online for 100 or less.. thanks for input timmyc. the tb will be replaced first, if that doesn't fix it, the pedal is next. the car now has 91000 on it, been slightly thinking about trading it in on something else (new cts-v or z06 vette, maybe a gen 1 cts-v..) but this thing is becoming a pain in the ass, guess I have to start being easier on it now.

DennisW
07-06-13, 09:56 PM
It could be a wiring issue but that is not terribly likely. I've seen it before on a car that had some damage to the engine harness. One of the throttle pedal wires was broken where it went into the computer.

The duramax doesn't have a throttle body so that is not necessarily a good indicator of what this problem is.

Good call for Tim, I sometime interchange pedal and throttle due to work. The new diesels do have a throttle to assist in cleaning (regenerating) the DPF.

My intention was to say that for how unlikely a wiring harness issue might be, I have found them to be an issue that creeps up in increasing frequency with newer generation cars. Just something else to look at; good luck.

TimmyC
07-06-13, 10:05 PM
Good call for Tim, I sometime interchange pedal and throttle due to work. The new diesels do have a throttle to assist in cleaning (regenerating) the DPF.

My intention was to say that for how unlikely a wiring harness issue might be, I have found them to be an issue that creeps up in increasing frequency with newer generation cars. Just something else to look at; good luck.

Very true. I saw that your main point was that it could be pedal or wiring but I was and still am thinking that it is more likely to be the throttle body so I wanted to put that info out there.

Interesting that the diesels have throttle bodies now. I would never have guessed!

boomys10
07-07-13, 06:18 PM
so here it what we did. took the intake off, took the tb off and cleaned the tb (not really dirty at all). did notice the timmyc intake was rubbing on the back of the supercharger slightly, which after inspecting we learned had rubbed a pen hole in the intake AFTER the maf. went and got some jb steel putty shit, kneaded it up and put covered the hole with it. went off and detailed my mechanics car *(he hooks me up on deals all the time so figured id do that for free for him) came back about an hour and half later, and reinstllated the intake in car, took some rubber and put it between intake and supercharger. issue is now gone. took it out racing Friday and Saturday. and no issue to be reported since those steps were done.

TimmyC
07-07-13, 06:54 PM
I'm glad it is working now but I don't think that was the problem. I've had the breather tube come off my intake (after the maf) a couple times and it did not trip that code. The breather tube is 3/8".

boomys10
07-07-13, 09:15 PM
that's the only thing we changed. so I don't know wtf else it couldve been. but its fixed. so who cares. just relaying the full expirence and what was done to resolve it.

TimmyC
07-07-13, 09:18 PM
If it works, that's great. I'm also relating experience when I say that's probably not it.

boomys10
07-08-13, 09:37 AM
I didn't manage to break the evap purge valve, again. at least im a pro at replacing them now.

PGA2B
07-08-13, 10:02 AM
Been there done that!!

boomys10
07-08-13, 01:35 PM
this will be my third replacement for it. i just don't care to do it right now. the part is under warrantee but i think the blower will be getting removed in a few months to be ported and have some other stuff done, so might just get the new part and wait to install it until its removed. lol, im feeling lazy this month.