: Right Milage?

Yaemish
02-18-05, 12:09 PM
I have a 96 Eldorado in Upstate, NY where it has been a little cold. I realize that my milage is going to go down, especially sinc eI live where there are a lot of hills. My last read out reported that my avg MPG was 14.9 and my avg MPH was 18.8. Do these results seem right? I am running 93 and by no means have a heavy foot.

mcowden
02-18-05, 12:53 PM
It's probably right. Do you let it idle to warm up? That will certainly drop both of those numbers, as the averages are calculated any time the car is running, not just when you are moving. If it idles a lot, or if you're stopped in traffic a lot, that will do it. My mileage has been lower since the weather has been cold.

Yaemish
02-18-05, 04:42 PM
I usually let it run for about 5 minutes every morning before I leave the house. Just as long as the numbers aren't off I'll be happy.

RLLOVETT
02-18-05, 06:38 PM
There's a recent thread on whether to warm up your car (warms up better being run with a load, i.e., driven) and I've noticed that even a few minutes warming KILLS the gas mileage..check other threads cuz there is a winter gas manufacturing additive that results in lower mileage, too.

sts15l7
02-18-05, 08:25 PM
well, in the winter when its cold ur car is normally on choke; when the engine idles at a slightly higher rpm than usual, so as to warm up the engine. though this might not be too noticeable with smaller economical cars, it becomes pretty obvious with larger engines. trust me, i know: before my sts, i used to have a suburban :yup: lolz...

i personally dont really warm up my car, unless if its extremely cold outside. this is how i c it: if u drive the car with as minimal acceleration as possible, its almost as if the car is running on choke, which isnt bad for the engine. of course, dont hammer the car at this point; just let it sorta 'chill' :thumbsup:

-mir

Richard A. Coyle
02-18-05, 10:46 PM
Count your blessings, I am restoring/fixing up a Fuel Injected 79 Seville and currently it gets only 8 MPG.

Runs great and is a hot rod and passes everything on the highway but a gas station.

Any old Caddy guys out there who might help me with this?

Rich