: gas tank replacement

hoontang
07-03-13, 02:10 AM
Hi all

This is my first post here, but I've been lurking for a while.

Question: Is is possible to replace the fuel tank in a CTS-V wagon with a higher capacity tank?

I would think that with the way cars are designed this is not likely, but I am not sure. Of course in a 556-hp car, I don't care about gas mileage, but a larger tank would mean fewer visits to the gas station.

Anyone know if this is possible/has been done?

tinman
07-03-13, 10:01 AM
I can't believe there is a "plug 'n play" gas tank. You will have to fabricate one (we can do that for you). Is there even room for a larger tank? Sounds like a real PITA.

Jinx
07-03-13, 11:24 AM
As I understand it, the tank is under the rear seats. Take a look at some photos of the CTS-V undercarriage -- a quick search found one embedded in this thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-2013-cadillac-cts-v-general/174795-jacking-cts-v.html

You can probably find other photos attached to aftermarket exhaust system installation.

I don't see a bunch of empty space around there for a bigger tank.

Now if you were determined, perhaps you could add a fuel tank or fuel cell in the spare tire well. I'd be worried about what happens in a rear-end collision, but that is a chunk of unusued (or at least clearable) space.

Otherwise, remove the rear seats and replace them with another tank :)

I must admit I will have a litte range anxiety on future road trips -- not so much the getting-from-A-to-B portion, but the conquer-the-squiggliest-line-on-the-map portion. I just can't go gallivanting off into the wilderness without topping off first.

tinman
07-03-13, 11:28 AM
Remember, the fun is in the getting there. :cloud9:

Jinx
07-03-13, 11:49 AM
Yeah, but it's nice to be able to get back :)

spearfish25
07-03-13, 03:42 PM
I just did the Tail of the Dragon and a bunch of back roads. While I did top it off before venturing into no-mans-land, range was never really much of an issue. Just don't start off with under 1/2 a tank. I got about 300mi/tank on the highway and around 200mi/tank when carving the back roads.

Dr. Design
07-03-13, 03:59 PM
Hello,

Unfortunately the twin bladder under the rear seats doesn't afford you any additional room. How do we know this? Because we had a customer commission us to build a supplemental fuel capacity system that increased his levels by an additional 15 gallons. The system was integrated into the factory OEM fuel system and runs off of high speed relays to alter fuel supply on the fly. So you can run standard gas in one tank and race gas/E85/or more standard gas in the auxiliary tank. The auxiliary tank is mounted in the trunk.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Hi all

This is my first post here, but I've been lurking for a while.

Question: Is is possible to replace the fuel tank in a CTS-V wagon with a higher capacity tank?

I would think that with the way cars are designed this is not likely, but I am not sure. Of course in a 556-hp car, I don't care about gas mileage, but a larger tank would mean fewer visits to the gas station.

Anyone know if this is possible/has been done?

Club Malibu
07-03-13, 05:38 PM
Because we had a customer commission us to build a supplemental fuel capacity system that increased his levels by an additional 15 gallons. The system was integrated into the factory OEM fuel system and runs off of high speed relays to alter fuel supply on the fly.

Pics!!!!!!

Dr. Design
07-03-13, 06:13 PM
Here you go.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/ctd3rnd/AuxFuelCell_D3_zps409b99c6.jpg

The gray tank on the hanging from the top left is the integrated fire suppression system. On the right side you will see the blue suppression nozzle tucked behind the trunk liner. Please let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Pics!!!!!!

spearfish25
07-03-13, 07:13 PM
Awesome. I'd love that but putting it in the cabin of a wagon is probably a bad idea.

How much $$$$? (You knew that question was coming)

Dr. Design
07-03-13, 08:13 PM
Certainly not recommended for a wagon setup that is driven on the street. As for costs, I dont have an accurate number as it was part of a much larger build. But if I had to guess I would say about $5K with all the wiring/fabrication/integration/etc...

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Awesome. I'd love that but putting it in the cabin of a wagon is probably a bad idea.

How much $$$$? (You knew that question was coming)

Club Malibu
07-03-13, 08:20 PM
What is that silver bar thing on the battery compartment door??

Dr. Design
07-03-13, 08:58 PM
That is a custom battery mount holder for his oversized battery. Inside that compartment also houses the high speed relays, dual battery switch, and a couple of other items we keep hidden from plain view. Underneath the spare tire wheel cover there is a custom 5 gallon methanol tank, HLS pump, and his back up battery.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

What is that silver bar thing on the battery compartment door??

Blakester
07-04-13, 06:35 AM
Remember the corvette Tanker from the 60's?

Jinx
07-04-13, 06:52 AM
I just did the Tail of the Dragon and a bunch of back roads. While I did top it off before venturing into no-mans-land, range was never really much of an issue. Just don't start off with under 1/2 a tank. I got about 300mi/tank on the highway and around 200mi/tank when carving the back roads.

Things are farther apart in the West. But I shall not be deterred.