: Racing power cast aluminum transmission pan kit

royan97
07-03-13, 12:38 AM
Has anybody tried replacing the Transmission pan with a "RACING POWER CAST ALUMINUM TRANSMISSION PAN KIT". Weather here is extremely hot and now I need to drive 120km a day with a stuck bypass valve and loosing 2% of may transmission oil life daily. I'm planning to remove the bypass by changing the cooler line to a newer model but I'm hoping to extend the life of my transmission oil by also upgrading the transmission pan (with heat sink).

http://www.jcwhitney.com/cast-aluminum-transmission-pan-kit/p2000989.jcwx?skuId=153266&filterid=c3758d17319u0j1

Thanks.

SFVetteman
07-03-13, 01:04 AM
I would suggest a larger transmission oil cooler. That is what I did with my Corvette that I club race, often in temperatures over 100 degrees. With the stock cooler, I would see transmission temperatures of 270+ and now they are over 100 degrees lower with the B&M cooler I added. The only problem with installing the B&M cooler was that GM used hydraulic spec fittings on the oil cooler lines and the B&M cooler used pipe thread fittings. I had to locate an adapter to connect to the new cooler. I have no idea what kind of fittings the SRX uses but I would suspect they are of hydraulic spec.

Bill

nascarnation
07-06-13, 11:37 AM
Agree with SFVette here.
Not that much heat is dissipated from the pan, remember the air in that vicinity is HOT (exhaust pipes in proximity etc).
A supplemental cooler in the outside ambient airstream makes a large improvement.

BTW highly recommend synthetic trans fluid that meets Allison TES-295.
I ran all the development tests that led to this spec release, it's extremely robust.
http://www.allisontransmission.com/service/autoapp/172/viewpage.jsp?ThisPage=3

tormented
07-06-13, 01:10 PM
Your jc whitney link goes to a Turbo 400 oil pan, that is not the transmission used in an Caddy SRX.......

royan97
07-20-13, 03:15 AM
This sucks =( . I choose in their site and specifically search for items compatible with the 2004 cadillac srx. Apparently its not that accurate. Do anyone knows what type of transmission the 2004 srx V8 is using and what pan upgrade is compatible. My technical knowledge about this things are next to none me being a geek instead of a gearhead.

SFVetteman
07-20-13, 04:01 AM
Your transmission is a 5L50e. What you want to help the transmission cope with the high temperatures common in your area is a large transmission cooler to help out the transmission cooler that came with the car. You can get these from B&M Racing and Performance Products. Here is one that comes as a complete kit that you can hook up in series with the cooler your car already has and mounts in front of your radiator: http://bmracing.com/?wpsc-product=automatic-transmission-supercooler-14400-btu-rated-11x6x1-12

They also sell even larger coolers up to a 29000 btu rating, I believe.

Bill

conedoctor
07-20-13, 11:59 AM
Bigger is not better, the correct size is best.

SFVetteman
07-20-13, 01:54 PM
Hard to imagine that in Doha, Qatar that any size cooler could over cool the transmission fluid. Even in the dead of winter the average low temperature is 55 and the record low is 38. That said, the B&M coolers with hose barb ends are built to allow the fluid to bypass the cooler when it is not needed.

Bill

conedoctor
07-20-13, 02:59 PM
Not over cool but if the cooler is too big the oil will not cool, if the oil is not turbulent it will not cool or if the flow is too low the cooler will not work efficiently.

The right cooler is needed not just the biggest, any will help but may as well work right.

SFVetteman
07-20-13, 03:46 PM
Much of what you say applies to old tech tube and fin coolers that have a relatively small surface area for the fluid to contact compared to modern tube and fin designs let alone the plate type coolers that are highly efficient. With any design maintaining proper flow rate is critical. Too high a flow a flow rate and there won't be time for the fluid to cool. Too low a flow rate and the fluid, although cooler, may not be supplied in sufficient quantity to be of much benefit.

Bill