: 79 sedan deville catalytic converter

vicello93
07-02-13, 09:54 PM
So now that I have the historic plates and don't need inspection anymore, I'm thinking of taking the cat off, still got the original one in.. It has a small hole in it and need to be changed anyway, I was thinking about just welding a pipe there, what's the pros and cons about it?

cadillac kevin
07-02-13, 09:58 PM
So now that I have the historic plates and don't need inspection anymore, I'm thinking of taking the cat off, still got the original one in.. It has a small hole in it and need to be changed anyway, I was thinking about just welding a pipe there, what's the pros and cons about it?

Pros: more power (given that is the factory cat and not just an old aftermarket).
Cons: ummm.........you kill the environment?....yeah, that's it. :)

vicello93
07-02-13, 11:44 PM
Pros: more power (given that is the factory cat and not just an old aftermarket).
Cons: ummm.........you kill the environment?....yeah, that's it. :)

Hahah Prius pesticide lol

----------

Will I have problems with o2 sensors? I don't even know where they r located ..

cadillac kevin
07-02-13, 11:57 PM
Hahah Prius pesticide lol

----------

Will I have problems with o2 sensors? I don't even know where they r located ..
IIRC, GM didnt start sensors after the cat until the 90s

vicello93
07-03-13, 02:03 AM
IIRC, GM didnt start sensors after the cat until the 90s

Ahhh.. Thanks for the info!

ferrisworld
07-03-13, 02:46 AM
If it was me, I would want to have a cat, because I hate smelling the exhaust from old cars without cats on them. Then again I live in California, and I'm kind of a tree hugging hippy who also happens to love his old Cadillac. I replaced my cat with a Magnaflow 36009 (3" version of the 36006 which is 2.5") and then put dual 2.5" the rest of the way back and it made a noticeable difference.

vicello93
07-03-13, 09:52 AM
If it was me, I would want to have a cat, because I hate smelling the exhaust from old cars without cats on them. Then again I live in California, and I'm kind of a tree hugging hippy who also happens to love his old Cadillac. I replaced my cat with a Magnaflow 36009 (3" version of the 36006 which is 2.5") and then put dual 2.5" the rest of the way back and it made a noticeable difference.

Nice! I was thinking of a dual actually but I would probably have to take the car to an exhaust shop to do it right?

deVille33
07-03-13, 04:20 PM
If you are planning on true duals, you will have to think out your exhaust system a little more. Read some of the posts and threads in here on the subject, to see the correct way to do this. :tisk:

vicello93
07-03-13, 04:47 PM
If you are planning on true duals, you will have to think out your exhaust system a little more. Read some of the posts and threads in here on the subject, to see the correct way to do this. :tisk:

Ok will do