: Pass Airbag Lite Says OFF and Stays Lit

karinz40
07-02-13, 09:20 PM
My Pass Airbag Lite Says OFF and Stays Lit even if no one is in the car but me. I start the car and after a couple minutes the lite comes on and stays. 2011 CTS has 22,000 miles , still under warranty. Is this fixable by me?

Thanks

tinman
07-03-13, 09:21 AM
No. That's the way it is, and it is annoying. You will get used to it, however, but it is still annoying.

Xav8tor
07-03-13, 12:20 PM
Agreed the light is an annoyance. Unfortunately, it's also the law:

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/Air+Bags/Consumer+Info+Requirements

The regulators should take their own clues from aircraft design. "Always on" indicators tend to be ignored. However, even though their intent may be ignored, their presence is not, so yes, they're bothersome.

Same with the visor labels. Being a bit tall, I find them way too big and distracting because they're always starkly visible against the black visor, which is within my normal line of sight. The fix for that was a couple of faux leather visor organizers tightly mounted, but with nothing in them. Then, on the driver's side, I soon switched to a visor mount for an iPod, which has a few apps I use on road trips. The parts guy at my local dealer said the visor came with the label already affixed, so there was no ordering an OEM blank one.

As for the light, I bought a roll of carbon fiber tape, only to realize you can't make it look nice while covering the airbag light and not cover the pax seat belt indicators too, which are somewhat useful. Even the airbag light is important if there is a malfunction. It's just a poorly thought out and implemented regulation. There are many, regardless of the type of vehicle.

tinman
07-03-13, 12:26 PM
Xav8tor, you mean to say that our fearless leaders in DC have not done things correctly and with forethought? Blasphemy!

Xav8tor
07-03-13, 01:07 PM
Forethought? Uhh, not often. It's a pet peeve of mine. Too many regs are spawned from a tombstone mentality...only after someone dies or is seriously injured. They won't change again until the fix causes a similar problem. The flip side is that, on the rare occasions when a regulatory body is proactive, the target industry successfully screams (lobbies) about cost and no proof of need, so nothing gets done. Then, product liability lawsuits must, yes, must, be filed. Those often result in real safety improvements. But then too, the public starts complaining...like us in this instance. In all fairness, it ain't easy, but there sure is room for improvement.

99flhr
07-03-13, 02:36 PM
Same with the visor labels. Being a bit tall, I find them way too big and distracting because they're always starkly visible against the black visor, which is within my normal line of sight. The parts guy at my local dealer said the visor came with the label already affixed, so there was no ordering an OEM blank one.

BMW owners who hate the labels order the euro part number for replacement visors, no label.
If such a thing exists for Cadillac I do not know.

tinman
07-03-13, 02:53 PM
Knowing GM, they ship the same visors we have over to those poor unsuspecting wankers.