: The little things cadillac could and should have done

HGK2
07-02-13, 08:02 PM
Ok- I will start off by saying that I love how my 2013 awd coupe rides and overall am very happy with the car (except the paint). This is a list of minor things cadillac imo should have done to make the car almost perfect.

1-power folding mirrors when you shut the car off-if kia can have them cadillac definitely should. Ok so I just get out of the car and fold the mirrors in-really at $50k?

2-lighting for the shifter on the console-I find looking down at my shifter in the dark and not seeing the prnd illuminated is weird Ok-so now I learn to look at the dash, but it's dumb.

3-real fog lamps-there is virtually no difference between the fog lights being on and off in terms of seeing the road better. I guess they are more for looks and to make you feel as if you got something for paying the extra for that option package.

4-a rear back up camera that has yellow directional lines to direct you in reverse. This is the only back up camera I have seen with no guidance lines. I have nearly crashed my rear quarter twice because I couldn't judge the distance of objects in back and to the sides. I rely now on the mirrors.

5-dual zone heating and cooling with dual blower fan settings as well as dual temp. controls. I find it annoying when my wife wants the heat set on 80 degrees or more on high fan and I have to have my temp set at 60 and am stuck with the same fan setting. And yes -she will win this argument every time.

6-an instruction manual for loading music into the hard drive that actually does what the directions state they should. Guess the person who wrote the instructions for the manual never talked to the person who made the hard drive to find out how it would work.

Ok- now before you all tell me to just enjoy the car for what it is- I do and I may even buy the car after my lease is up. But these are my opinions on what cadillac should have done with the car and maybe it will make the next gen that much better.

rspreng
07-02-13, 09:50 PM
Interesting comments.
My thoughts
1. I have never folded in a mirror or found a need to. I think it's a gimmick.
2. Is the gear shift positions on the dash? I tend to not look at either, it's just a feel position, guess from driving straight shifts all my life.
3. I will give you that one, I lowered the angle a little and that seems to help but still poor compared to say my GMC truck.
4. I have yellow guide lines but I find the whole experience odd I favor the outside mirrors and when I get close to stopping I look at camera. I tend to feel if you are watching the camera your forgetting what the front/sides of the car is doing.
5. I can see that. Does anyone offer that level of independent control.
6. No experience

Again my opinions.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-02-13, 10:26 PM
Ok- I will start off by saying that I love how my 2013 awd coupe rides and overall am very happy with the car (except the paint). This is a list of minor things cadillac imo should have done to make the car almost perfect.

1-power folding mirrors when you shut the car off-if kia can have them cadillac definitely should. Ok so I just get out of the car and fold the mirrors in-really at $50k?

2-lighting for the shifter on the console-I find looking down at my shifter in the dark and not seeing the prnd illuminated is weird Ok-so now I learn to look at the dash, but it's dumb.

3-real fog lamps-there is virtually no difference between the fog lights being on and off in terms of seeing the road better. I guess they are more for looks and to make you feel as if you got something for paying the extra for that option package.

4-a rear back up camera that has yellow directional lines to direct you in reverse. This is the only back up camera I have seen with no guidance lines. I have nearly crashed my rear quarter twice because I couldn't judge the distance of objects in back and to the sides. I rely now on the mirrors.

5-dual zone heating and cooling with dual blower fan settings as well as dual temp. controls. I find it annoying when my wife wants the heat set on 80 degrees or more on high fan and I have to have my temp set at 60 and am stuck with the same fan setting. And yes -she will win this argument every time.

6-an instruction manual for loading music into the hard drive that actually does what the directions state they should. Guess the person who wrote the instructions for the manual never talked to the person who made the hard drive to find out how it would work.

Ok- now before you all tell me to just enjoy the car for what it is- I do and I may even buy the car after my lease is up. But these are my opinions on what cadillac should have done with the car and maybe it will make the next gen that much better.

Hello HGK2,

I am happy to hear that you are overall very happy with your CTS! Thank you for your input concerning some of your opinions that would have made the vehicle better. I will document them for you and make sure that they are passed on to the correct group. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your vehicle, feel free to message us privately so we can look into the situation for you. Thank you very much for your time and enjoy your CTS!

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

angelbones
07-02-13, 10:48 PM
I'd have to agree with most of what rspreng said, but would add a couple additional observations. It would be nice if the mirrors folded downwards when backing up. It's nice to avoid curb rash and just generally how close you are to your surroundings. I would also note that I followed the directions and have put 30gb of music on my HDD. Admittedly, it was slow by putting in 200 CDs of music but it got the job done. While a thumb drive would have been much faster, I never could find a way to organize it the way I like. Don't know of a car that has separate fans. I'm sure they exist but I'm also sure the price would be high. And I also have yellow lines in my backup camera so I'm not sure what is going on in your car.

A couple other things since suggestions are being offered. Steering wheel that automatically goes to the highest position when turning the car off for easy exit and then automatically back to its position after turning the vehicle on. One touch rear seat entry (for the coupes this should be a must). Simpler layout for the steering wheel buttons i.e., less of them with possible dials or levers. I've had my car for nearly 1.5 years now and I still have to look down at the steering wheel to make sure I have the right button. It should be able to be done by feel alone so that one doesn't have to take your eyes off the road. Cupholders in the doors should be an inexpensive fix. And the last thing I can think of is those damn trunk arms. To me, and only IMHO, not having hidden trunk arms is what makes the CTS looks cheap. Not raggin. The CTS is still the best car out there for the money, but NO CAR is 100% perfect. I can live with 98% perfect and be VERY happy.

gohawks63
07-02-13, 10:52 PM

1. I have them on our other vehicle (BMW X5). Never use them. I never par close enough to another car for them to be useful. Worried about door dings.
2. Thought that too initially, but really don't miss it.
3. Agree that the fogs are worthless. I never use them.
4. Meh. Our X5 has the lines along with the birds eye view with the cameras around the car. I don't really miss the guide lines when getting out of the X5 and going into the CTs, but I do like the bird's eye view.
6. I didn't have an issue

CTSCHICK
07-02-13, 11:00 PM
Never had a problem noticing the fog lights being on and providing better visibility even before the higher lumens phillips vision plus were put in my car.

All of the other stuff doesn't bother me it only takes me 2 seconds to fold the mirror in lol

For me the biggest detractor is the silver plastic on the center console looks tacky as hell but the new CTS has more material wrapping on it so it looks like they addressed it.
Except I hate seeing all of the finger prints in the new glossy black plastic that Gm is using on the ATS & 2014 CTS center consoles.

gohawks63
07-02-13, 11:00 PM
I'd have to agree with most of what rspreng said, but would add a couple additional observations. It would be nice if the mirrors folded downwards when backing up. It's nice to avoid curb rash and just generally how close you are to your surroundings.

This definitely! I had it my Acura and it's in the X5. Miss this.

I'm sure they exist but I'm also sure the price would be high. And I also have yellow lines in my backup camera so I'm not sure what is going on in your car.

Guidelines aren't present on cars with navigation where the camera image shows up on the NAV screen.

A couple other things since suggestions are being offered. Steering wheel that automatically goes to the highest position when turning the car off for easy exit and then automatically back to its position after turning the vehicle on. One touch rear seat entry (for the coupes this should be a must.

My steering wheel goes up and the drivers seat will slide back when exiting.

Agree about the one touch access for the back

OMG
07-02-13, 11:32 PM
I'd have to agree with most of what rspreng said, but would add a couple additional observations. It would be nice if the mirrors folded downwards when backing up.
Steering wheel that automatically goes to the highest position when turning the car off for easy exit and then automatically back to its position after turning the vehicle on. One touch rear seat entry (for the coupes this should be a must). Simpler layout for the steering wheel buttons i.e., less of them with possible dials or levers. I've had my car for nearly 1.5 years now and I still have to look down at the steering wheel to make sure I have the right button.

My '08's mirrors fold down when in reverse was a feature I had to turn on when I got the car, makes backing into any spot perfect on the first try. Same with the ez exit has to be enabled via the DIC. Steering buttons seem fine to me I find them easily and I like how flush they sit on the steering wheel.

Now for me would be the lack of usuable cubby holes and just general cabin storage. Oh and the creaky seats...

gohawks63
07-02-13, 11:34 PM
My '08's mirrors fold down when in reverse was a feature I had to turn on when I got the car. Same with the ez exit has to be enabled via the DIC. Steering buttons seem fine to me I find them easily and I like how flush they sit on the steering wheel.

Now for me would be the lack of usuable cubby holes and just general cabin storage. Oh and the creaky seats...

The tilt mirrors were discontinued in later models.

jghiller
07-03-13, 05:43 AM
I'd have to agree with most of what rspreng said, but would add a couple additional observations. It would be nice if the mirrors folded downwards when backing up. It's nice to avoid curb rash and just generally how close you are to your surroundings. I would also note that I followed the directions and have put 30gb of music on my HDD. Admittedly, it was slow by putting in 200 CDs of music but it got the job done. While a thumb drive would have been much faster, I never could find a way to organize it the way I like. Don't know of a car that has separate fans. I'm sure they exist but I'm also sure the price would be high. And I also have yellow lines in my backup camera so I'm not sure what is going on in your car.

A couple other things since suggestions are being offered. Steering wheel that automatically goes to the highest position when turning the car off for easy exit and then automatically back to its position after turning the vehicle on. One touch rear seat entry (for the coupes this should be a must). Simpler layout for the steering wheel buttons i.e., less of them with possible dials or levers. I've had my car for nearly 1.5 years now and I still have to look down at the steering wheel to make sure I have the right button. It should be able to be done by feel alone so that one doesn't have to take your eyes off the road. Cupholders in the doors should be an inexpensive fix. And the last thing I can think of is those damn trunk arms. To me, and only IMHO, not having hidden trunk arms is what makes the CTS looks cheap. Not raggin. The CTS is still the best car out there for the money, but NO CAR is 100% perfect. I can live with 98% perfect and be VERY happy.

Note: With power tilt steering, the steeering wheel does go up when seats go rearward on easy exit setting - an option

And bring back heated washer for windshield and lights. AlphaTherm can provide equipment.

99flhr
07-03-13, 07:56 AM
To me, and only IMHO, not having hidden trunk arms is what makes the CTS looks cheap.

Are you referring to the hyd struts being visible when you have the trunk open ?

gohawks63
07-03-13, 08:11 AM
Are you referring to the hyd struts being visible when you have the trunk open ?

The coupe doesn't have the struts. It has the macaroni elbow arms.

99flhr
07-03-13, 09:29 AM
^ Thanks

----------

My could have /should have, is a version with the N/A 5.3L SBC V-8. Same external architecture as the V engine, an easy drop-in.

C "T" ess
07-03-13, 10:09 AM
For a sport sedan and coupe; I'd like to add heads up display (HUD).

rchern
07-03-13, 11:33 AM
I for the life of me figure out wht they used those hinges on the trunk and not the pistons the sedan has. When I first got the car I had to go away, (I had the sedan prior to this car), loaded up the trunk and couldn't close it. Had to take everything out and reposition it. It was ridiculous how little usable room there actually was because of those hinges.

The front seats should have a quick forward position for access to the back seat.

I had a STS and you could set the seat and steering wheel exit position to exactly where you wanted it. When I got the sedan I was suprised that they went to the one position only exit position. Why go backwards with technology? In the sedan I actually had to turn the exit feature off because it was more uncomfortable getting out from the exit position than the driving position. In my coupe at least I can use it but it's not where I would prefer it. It just irritates me that they had it perfect and screwed it up.

As far as backing up, I notice a lot of cars have sensors on the side of the bumpers to catch cars approaching better.

So,HGK2, thats my 2 cents worth on your post. Some people might say we're nitpicking but you're right, if you say something maybe things can change for the better. Sometimes a person can be on the fence about 2 cars and a few of the little things decide the car they pick.

The gearshift should be lit up more. I think that there is a light in the roof that shines on it but if there is it doesn't do a very good job. On the plus side of that though I do like the gear you're in showing in the DIC so when I'm shifting manually I don't have to take my eyes away fron the windshield for long.

BreakingThrough
07-03-13, 01:11 PM
Re: power folding mirrors. I agree it would be nice for the cool factor, but if you've ever (manually) folded the CTS mirrors in, they are so thick that doing so doesn't really save much space width-wise. But folding them does prevent someone from knocking it off, I suppose.

Re: back-up camera. Just be glad you have one. I got into a parking lot fender bender a few months ago because it's so damn hard to see out of the back of my car when coming out of a diagonal space and the '08s were not available with a camera.

Re: gear shift indicator. I am actually surprised by how many people complain about this. I agree with the poster above that I just go by "feel." But also agree that it wouldn't kill Caddy to just wire a bulb in there.

Finally, one thing that I think is missing, that they should have definitely added during the cars run, is side repeat markers in the sideview mirrors. Side turn signal repeaters are required in Europe, and I think they should also be required in the U.S. They definitely increase safety, especially when driving on the freeway.

blankster
07-03-13, 02:11 PM
Automatic cruise control like I have on my "lowly" Ford Edge.

Regarding the driving lights - I upgraded to these: http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/products/automotive/Pages/silverstar-zxe.aspx with some success.

angelbones
07-04-13, 04:40 PM
For a sport sedan and coupe; I'd like to add heads up display (HUD).

I've mentioned before that I wish this had the HUD too. I was just trying to limit my response to issues that are presently in the coupe. If you want to start talking wish list, we'll have to start a whole new thread.

Black'10CTS4
07-04-13, 11:28 PM
HUD is the one thing I really feel is missing from these cars.

Xav8tor
07-05-13, 02:45 PM

What's really hard to grasp about this omission is the fact that GM has been putting them in higher end Buicks for years.

Bandit1
07-05-13, 02:52 PM
What's really hard to grasp about this omission is the fact that GM has been putting them in higher end Buicks for years.

I agree. Should have been offered day one of the second generation CTS.

Black'10CTS4
07-06-13, 02:40 AM
Exactly, my father had a '97 Pontiac Bonneville with HUD. That was over 15 years ago!

ultimate_ed
07-07-13, 10:19 AM
One thing I've come to "appreciate" the longer I've owned my CTS is just how much "old-GM" bean counting went into this car. Remember, this car launched in 2008 with about a $33,000 base price. I think they put a lot of money into the performance side with all the Nurbergring testing. But, in order to hit that "5 series size for a 3 series price", a lot of things that would be expected just didn't make it and I definitely think the build quality suffered. It didn't take many years on my for the rattles, squeaks, and creeks to start making themselves known.

Probably the biggest disappointment is how GM (again) let the design pretty much rot on the vine after releasing it in 2007. Aside from a few things like Bluetooth (which my 09 thankfully has) and an available backup camera, there seems to be very little improvement and investment made in our CTS's design during it's run.

Hopefully, the new group of Cadillacs and the upcoming CTS in particular really deliver the promise of no compromise luxury cars that Cadillac should be building.

smooth_ride
07-08-13, 02:01 PM

There's a Garmin coming out that is a HUD. I just saw it on cnet http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57592594-48/garmin-hud-projects-directions-onto-your-windshield/

OMG
07-09-13, 09:37 PM
There's a Garmin coming out that is a HUD. I just saw it on cnet http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57592594-48/garmin-hud-projects-directions-onto-your-windshield/

That's pretty cool but it syncs with your phone and just looks out of place espeically if you have the brown dash like I do.

typo681
07-22-13, 08:22 PM
I wish the CTS had Push-button start rather than that weird knob. :confused:

gohawks63
07-22-13, 10:43 PM

The issue is that there are lower trim level CTS models that use a key and as a result they created the knob for ease of manufacturing. No need for two different steering columns. My previous car was an Acura RL that had keyless ignition but was sold overseas with a traditional key and they did the same as Cadillac.

My son has a 2009 Mazda 6, but it's the top of the line Grand Touring S model that comes loaded including keyless start. Mazda went a different route. They put a plug over the spot on the steering column where the keyed ignition would be, and installed a push button start on the center stack.

Not sure which one looks more like a retrofit, I am leaning towards the Mazda approach looking more like they retrofitted the push button start as an after thought.

Once the entire model line up goes keyless (like the ATS) you then see the push start consistently. I believe the new CTS will be the same.

Similar thing with our BMW X5. It has a push button start, but the lower trim levels require that you insert the key fob into this slot on the dash. Seems goofy that you have to do that, but it also charges the battery in the fob. Our X5 came with the comfort package that has the touch sensitive doors handles and does not require that you insert the fob in the slot to start the car, but it still has the slot.

BreakingThrough
07-23-13, 01:38 PM

Call me crazy but I actually don't mind the approach Caddy took in the CTS. I like the feel of cranking the engine in a car, and with the CTS you don't have to bother inserting the key. Push button starts to me feel like you're turning on an appliance and not starting a car. But that's just me...

HurstGN
07-25-13, 12:45 PM
I'm with BreakingThrough on this one.

I grew up with a key. I've owned 18 cars over the years, they all had a key. With all those years of experience I know where off/run/accessory and start are with a key. Some of these new push button ones you need to push a button, face north, hit a button again, twirl a dead chicken over your head counterclockwise, face south, then swear 3 times because you missed accessory and the car started anyways. :alchi: Ok, it isn't that bad, but you sometimes have to make some gyrations to get a single button to do multiple things. I like the implementation, and I call it "The Romper Room Key". It kinda reminds me of the big keys on a baby rattle at times, hence the nickname. It's all personal preference, and if a Romper Room key turns you off from buying a car because you have to push a button to start a car.....well, you have greater issues to deal with Mr. Monk. :halo::stirpot:

Yea, I'm old, and my can's old. Boogity Boogity.