: Oil cap V6 2006 STS

PaulBek
07-02-13, 01:35 PM
Good day forum,
So, I scorched my rotors coming out the WV/PA mountains a couple of days ago...A local repair place my brother in law frequents here in Richmond. VA is doing the work. Sucks to be away from Home when things go wrong.

While checking oil a fuel stop ago, I found the motor to be a little low (1/2 qt maybe)...tried to take the oil cap off and the damn thing just spins and spins. It will NOT come off. Should I stick A screwdriver and try to pry it off? I don't want to damage the thing, but a wrecked motor would be worse if oil is needed.

Any ideas?

We are here til the weekend and then go back home to Motor City this weekend.

Thanks for any advice, in advance.

KRSTS
07-02-13, 03:40 PM
You can add some oil thru the dipstick tube with a small funnel until you get home and can deal with the fill cap.

Submariner409
07-02-13, 04:10 PM
"Scorched the rotors ???"

Just how hot does a rotor have to get before it "scorches" ??? (My STS, with EBC slotted rotors and Redstuff pads, will turn the front rotors red hot during a forced slowdown from 140 - and no problems.)

Before you answer, Google "red hot brake rotor video".

KRSTS
07-02-13, 04:26 PM
Rotors are cast iron. How do you "scorch" cast iron?

EChas3
07-02-13, 11:08 PM
Glaze the pads... that I'd believe.

PaulBek
07-03-13, 09:50 PM
Bought this car used - previous owner (or owners) never did any maintenance the best or right way. I scorched the brakes/rotors coming down i68 with morons in front of me that i couldnt pass. almost 10 miles of braking going downhill. i was using gears to slow me down -but two morons in front of me in a corolla and a semi literally had their wheels smoking/on fire. I had no choice but to brake hard for long distances to avoid rear ending them -

The brake pads were cheap pieces of crap - the left rotor was horribly grooved and making a horrible out of round groaning noise at all speeds, and, while the car was stationary made a horrible clicking noise for the left front wheel.

And my car isn't a V - it's a V6 car with stock stuff, originally intended for Hertz Rent a car duty. I wish I could have afforded the V, but alas, not in the cards.

The post was about the oil cap - is there a way they accidentally cross threaded the damn thing? I can't get it off - has anyone ever encountered?

EChas3
07-04-13, 01:56 AM
Sorry, that sounds like nonsense to me. If second isn't low enough, there's always first. They couldn't have been going that slow.

While your DPO may have twisted the oil cap past the stops, it just pulls off when the tabs are lined up. How much muscle have you really put to the task?

PaulBek
07-05-13, 11:32 AM
You are probably right - I was just guessing, but couldn't drive the car back home making all of the noises that it was. Taken advantage of again it appears, I am.

To the oil cap - I learned the place I took the car for the first oil change under my ownership somehow managed to cross thread the oil cap. If someone ever runs into this - I got a $1 plastic putty knife and as I turned the cap gently pried it back into its slot- once I did that I was able to get it off safely, and put it back on. Need to do my own oil changes from now on -

Submariner409
07-05-13, 11:47 AM
Yet another Oil Doodle horror story. Glad you got it twisted off - I was headed for a "Drill it sideways and stick a piece of coathanger in to lock the parts together".