: Automatic headlights question

TMP01
07-02-13, 09:13 AM
Hello all!

Purchased my 2007 DTS two months ago from Crest Cadillac in Syracuse, and absolutely love the vehicle......but one minor thing is driving me nuts :)

It seems that the automatic headlamp control is a little quirky.....a couple of times, my dash lighting will remain dim for a while after the headlights have shut off (or if I shut them off manually), then all of a sudden, it'll kick back to full brightness. Twice it's happened that the headlights have come on with just an overcast sky. Not sure if the sensitivity is adjustable, or if it might need a part.

As well, is there any way to keep the auto headlights in "OFF" mode when you shut the vehicle off? It's weird, I know, I'm just not a fan of the look of the yellow DRLs driving down the road.

Thanks!

Superjim
07-02-13, 09:52 AM
Hello all!

Purchased my 2007 DTS two months ago from Crest Cadillac in Syracuse, and absolutely love the vehicle......but one minor thing is driving me nuts :)

It seems that the automatic headlamp control is a little quirky.....a couple of times, my dash lighting will remain dim for a while after the headlights have shut off (or if I shut them off manually), then all of a sudden, it'll kick back to full brightness. Twice it's happened that the headlights have come on with just an overcast sky. Not sure if the sensitivity is adjustable, or if it might need a part.

As well, is there any way to keep the auto headlights in "OFF" mode when you shut the vehicle off? It's weird, I know, I'm just not a fan of the look of the yellow DRLs driving down the road.

Thanks!

I know of no way to make the auto light stay in the "OFF" position.
When mine is in the garage, I have developed the habit of turning the light switch to "OFF" and holding it there as I start it.
That way the HID headlights do not come on while I am in the garage, only to turn themselves off when I back out.
I do it to cut down on the cycling of the HID lights.
It also keeps the yellow lights from coming on.

The dash will be dim for a moment when I first back out of the garage, but depending on the sun height, that is usually just a few seconds.

The brightness of the dash lighting has nothing at all to do with shutting the headlight switch off manually.
The dash lighting is controlled by the sensor for the automatic headlights.
As long as the sensor "THINKS" that the headlights should be on... the dash lights will stay dim.

Conversely, you can "MANUALLY" turn the headlights on during the day, and the dash lighting will stay bright.
The sensor controls the dash lights, the same way it controls the automatic headlights.

I had to have the sensor replaced on my car when it was about a year old... it would keep the headlights on for almost three hours after the sun came up and turn the headlights on way before they were needed... :)

Jim

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-03-13, 08:42 AM
Hello all!

Thanks!

Hello TMP01,

Happy to hear you are loving your DTS! Sorry your headlamp control is causing you trouble. I see that Superjim has offered advice on this situation. Were you able to solve this issue yet? Please private message me if this concern still persists, and if there are any other concerns or questions you may have.

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

TMP01
07-03-13, 02:35 PM
Hello Laura and SuperJim,

REALLY appreciate your concern. and suggestions. I'll give it a try :)