: Intermittent stalling

Wayne Bradley
07-01-13, 10:25 PM
Hi, I'm a new member so forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong spot. I have a 1983 Eldorado which has an intermittent problem when it stalls on initial acceleration, like it is being starved of fuel. This only occurs on an irregular basis. Has anyone else come accross this problem? Another issue I have is a loud rattle in the steerin cloum, like something has come loose, but only whilst under acceleration. When you reach speed and decelerate the rattle stops - very odd.

If anyone can assist I would appreciate your advise.

Thanks.

carnut
07-07-13, 08:24 PM
This engine relies on a throttle position sensor (TPS) to vary electrical signals to the computer to vary the duration of fuel sprayed thru the 2 injectors. If the TPS has an electrically open section as its lever rotates, fuel will quit being sprayed until it passes the open section. The result, bog or quits. So, with the factory service manual you need to confirm its initial setting and whether it goes electrically open as the throttle is slowly opened. If the test and adjustment are within spec then I would suspect the filter (sock) on the fuel level sending unit in the tank as the culprit. Partially plugged up, it can lower fuel pump pressure enough to cause a stall. All these tests and diagnosis assume you have the manual and are more than an average technician!