: Computer shot. Is it worth trying to fix?

nozebleed
02-16-05, 10:20 PM
Took my '82 deVille to a mechanic, he said they couldnt pull any codes with diagnostics, and said that none of the sensors are getting any readings, which leads him to believe that the computer brain is toast. Any suggestions? I only paid $200 for the car and other than it runs like crap its in great condition, so I dont mind spending a <little> bit of money but i dont really wanna drop over a g or something

N0DIH
02-16-05, 10:46 PM
What engine? 368? If I remember correctly won't a 472/500/425 distributor work? Also a 368 prior to 81 will work. Drop it in, get a regular Q-Jet and you have no computer to worry about.

Did you check the ECM fuse? If it blows the ECM shuts down, but that doesn't stop the engine from running.

Tom

kmhebert
02-16-05, 11:20 PM
Huh, I couldn't get any diagnostics out of my 88 Brougham either. I followed the procedure on the recommended website (hold down OFF + WARMER) but nothing came up, not even the "--". However, the ECM seems to be working. Heh, any ideas? I'm stumped myself, I have basically just been hoping it means there are no codes and everything works.

DaveSmed
02-16-05, 11:26 PM
Close but no cigar on both counts. (at least I hope I got it right) Your car has the HT4100 if i'm not mistaken. That is a DFI engine, and if the computer goes kaput, it will definitely have major driveability issues. The computers for it are generally inexpensive however, you could even probably even find one in the junkyard as there tends to be an abundance of HT4100 cars in there.

Regarding the gentleman with the 307, your car doesnt do that neat little trick with its carbureted Olds motor. You must pull the codes like most other GMs from that era, via flash codes retrieved by jumping pins A and B on the data link connector.

sizanjdf
02-17-05, 12:35 AM
I have an ECM out of an 88 brougham if you need one let me know.