: Leaking roof/windshield

caddycruiser
02-16-05, 09:59 PM
Our '93 Fleetwood Brougham is white and has the factory full white vinyl top. Of everything on the car, it's what I hate the most, mainly because it's white vinyl and it's a freakin pain to keep looking nice with the car outside 24/7.

But lately, there's been another problem. Actually, it's been going on for a while. We have a leak that for a few months was right at the top of the driver's side A-pillar, because if the car would sit and it was raining for any considerable amount of time, the headliner in that area would be soaked along the doorframe. Looked and looked and pulled the weatherstripping and the A-pillar cover but saw nothing. Now, it seems to no longer leak in that area (at least I don't think so) but now does so from the area in the center of the roof where the console is located. Noticed it for the first time when we got in and the armrest cupholder had been left open--and was now full of about an inch of water and the headliner was all wet around the windshield top/console area.

Suffice it to say, since both leaks are along the top of the windshield, that's what we think is the problem. Took it to the windshield repair/replacement place and the guy thought it was probably the same thing too, until he saw that it had a full vinyl roof and said "Oh". Apparently, according to him, the vinyl roof consists of a fiberglass shell with the vinyl attached to that--sound even remotely correct?--and there's rivets holding it all on. These rivets can apparently be a place of leaking sometimes, along with little holes that formed in the roof, but are hidden by the vinyl.

Any clues? Anyone ever rip the stupid factory vinyl roof off and see how it's on there? Any thoughts on what the heck might be leaking??

caddycruiser
02-16-05, 10:40 PM
Bump :coolgleam

SoundAdvantage
02-16-05, 11:20 PM
I had the same problem you described with my Deville, it does not have the vinyl top though just a painted top. I found where the water was comming in by taking a water hose and going around the top of the windshield. It helps to have someone sitting in the front seat to let you know when the water comes in the strongest. I just used some clear silcone on the ouside of the trim to seal the leak. My windshield molding needs replaced but the body shop told me to just use the silcone. I would try this first and see if you can stop the leak. Be sure to park your car on a level surface before using the water hose.

scurling
02-17-05, 08:48 AM
Any good winshield shop would gladdly do a leak test from inside out using compressed air. It more accurately defines the location of the leak. If your windshield is leaking, it is best to get it reseated.

Granted, there is some risk when removing a good windshield that it could crack, but if it has been leaking for a while, it is best to remove the shield and make sure rust has not started in the windshield frame. If there is any rust, fix it.

If there is rust, and it is not fixed, it's only a matter of a year or so when it will start leaking again.

caddycruiser
02-17-05, 11:07 AM
That's what I thought. He said he couldn't do anything until he did the water test, it's just that my father is being stubborn for some reason and wasn't sure what he wanted to do yet.

My main question was--how is the factory vinyl roof put on? Anyone ever take the stupid thing off? What'd you find underneath?

JAKE91
02-18-05, 04:13 PM
Find Out Where Your Leaks Are Coming From, Then Remove The Molding Around The Windshield.
Apply Plumber's Glue To The Spots And Surrounding Areas.

Don't Ignore This For Much Longer. Water Damage Is Severe.

caddycruiser
02-18-05, 05:09 PM
Find Out Where Your Leaks Are Coming From, Then Remove The Molding Around The Windshield.
Apply Plumber's Glue To The Spots And Surrounding Areas.

Don't Ignore This For Much Longer. Water Damage Is Severe.

True, but the car is covered 95% of the time, so there's no problem. It's just that other 5% when we forget or can't and it rains that it gets wet. Planning on getting it fixed ASAP though, as we just wanted to get through the winter before getting any work done.