: Thinking about buying - HELP!

Going_Fast
02-16-05, 09:53 PM
Thinking about picking up a new '04 leftover V. I've got a couple of quotes in the $42,600 range for black '04 with roof. I can purchase an '05 for about $5k more. Not sure which way to go. It doesn't sound like the issues with the '04 have been resolved in the '05. (GMS Pricing)

So, questions are:
How much do you love your car even with the issues?
Is the '05 a better deal in the long term? Also, I can get a "new" color.....
What's your opinion of the overall quality/dependability?

Any thoughts and/or input you may have would be appreciated. I hate taking a total bath on cars. I bought my wife a '04 SRX leftover for about $35k and it still looks like if I want to get rid of it I'll get killed. The 5 recalls is not helping. Love how the SRX drives and the practicallity of the vehicle, but the quality issues are starting to bug me.

Thanks in advance for any input, thoughts, advice!

Grant

CTSV05
02-17-05, 01:27 AM
Well, it is really up to you, you sound well informed.

My advice would be buy the one you like most, if you order a color, will they still be as willing to deal?

Does the '04 have miles or not?

I've seen the red at Chesrown and to be honest I don't think its unique enuf for the V, it was right next to a Buick with the same color, I've not seen the grey yet.

As far as problems go, we have an '05 w/3300 miles, and have nothing except for the regular annoyances. I'll say this, regardless, I would buy again!

So if the '04 isn't loaded with miles, why not have a smaller payment, more cash for mods.!!

beers
02-17-05, 02:04 AM
With the two different colors, take the one you like the most - however, with them both being new, for a $5K price difference I would take the '04. I don't believe there is any notable changes between the two years (except for color choices and the '05 FG2 suspension option).

lawfive
02-17-05, 02:16 AM
With the two different colors, take the one you like the most - however, with them both being new, for a $5K price difference I would take the '04. I don't believe there is any notable changes between the two years (except for color choices and the '05 FG2 suspension option).

And the combo antenna. I bought an 05 back in August when it was only a couple thou more than the 04's still on the lots in SoCal. If I had the same decision to make today, with a greater price differential between 04's and 05's, I'd have a hard time not buying the '04. The split antenna is fugly, but not $5K worth of fugly.

-- Jerry

trukk
02-17-05, 08:52 AM
I was in the exact same situation a month ago when I bought. I dwefinately would have bought a Plat '04, but all the '04's I found were black.

To me it was worth 5k NOT to have a black car. I hate washing a car 3 times a week :(

-Chris

02-17-05, 10:15 AM
Thinking about picking up a new '04 leftover V. I've got a couple of quotes in the $42,600 range for black '04 with roof. I can purchase an '05 for about $5k more. Not sure which way to go. It doesn't sound like the issues with the '04 have been resolved in the '05. (GMS Pricing)

So, questions are:
Is the '05 a better deal in the long term? Also, I can get a "new" color.....
What's your opinion of the overall quality/dependability?

Any thoughts and/or input you may have would be appreciated. I hate taking a total bath on cars. I bought my wife a '04 SRX leftover for about $35k and it still looks like if I want to get rid of it I'll get killed. The 5 recalls is not helping. Love how the SRX drives and the practicallity of the vehicle, but the quality issues are starting to bug me.

Thanks in advance for any input, thoughts, advice!

Grant

Love car, would buy again except I have no plans to sell
the differences between the 05 and 05's are minor. the only thing that they "fixed" which was not mentioned was that if you get an '04 built before April 14th you will need a software reflash if you want an accurate (or semi-accurate) oil temperature reading. Good dealers do the reflash with no problem. Bad (non-V-savvy) dealers don't have a clue. There will always be 1 model year's difference in book value...but I doubt that it will ever be close to $5k.

Quality/dependability; I have had no dependability issues. As for quality, it's a GM, without a doubt. You pays your money and you takes your chances. It is not a Honda or a Toyota, but ANY limited edition high performance car has more issues than the commodity products. Mercedes and BMW fans will agree with that statement, I think.

reading the threads on this forum should give you a good feel for likes and dislikes about this car. Good luck with your decision.

Doug

Rob Ketcham
02-17-05, 06:57 PM
It's your decision; if its just the car, then get the less expensive one. I haven't done the calculation of what would be the least depreciation hit over three years or so; buying last year's model or the new one. That would be an interesting formula. Personally, I'm planning to sell my 04 and then get set up for an 06. These cars are truly great and will stand the test of time, as did the GN, although with all the whining on this site one wonders if some of our colleagues understand or appreciate that.
Since I'm in the 04 at a good price, I will hopefully get out most of my equity, then pick up an 06 when they come out. I've done a car buy for years as soon as the new car comes out, then sell it before I get the major depreciation hit. The downside is if you purchase a brand new model, like the 04 as I did ( one of the first) there are almost always some issues that will need resolving.
Hope this is helpful.

lawfive
02-17-05, 08:28 PM
I was in the exact same situation a month ago when I bought. I dwefinately would have bought a Plat '04, but all the '04's I found were black.

To me it was worth 5k NOT to have a black car. I hate washing a car 3 times a week :(

-Chris

I love black; my previous car was black and when I set out to buy this one I thought I was going to get black. But as it turns out, platinum is the absolute most very bestist color for the CTS-V, no question about it.

Anybody who disagrees is a communist. :want:

beers
02-18-05, 01:22 AM
however, the black is definitely faster... :D

wildwhl
02-18-05, 01:39 AM
So, questions are:
A ton...love it...wouldn't trade it...and at $42,600 for an '04 I'd have to say go for it. Go silver...you'll regret black (I do, sometimes).

What's your opinion of the overall quality/dependability.

Save for rear differential issues I am very pleased.

lawfive
02-18-05, 02:36 AM

BS! Black absorbs heat right into the engine compartment.

Platinum repels heat and attracts girls.

RSM CTS-V
02-18-05, 03:19 AM
If you're just looking for the car at the best price, sounds like you've already found it, but on the other hand, only $5k more for a new '05 with 0 miles and choice of color is quite attractive too. So I think it's just a matter of personal preference. I like "new" cars myself and would opt for going with the '05.

The wheel hop issue is the only one I have really encountered myself and it is not too big of a deal to me as I don't drag race the car everywhere I go. Sure, I have the peddle mashed down a lot, but usually from a roll or on the hwy. I know at some point someone will come up with a total fix so I'm not too worried about it.

I love the car. Everytime I get into it I'm excited to drive it, even if it's just .5 miles to the grocery store. I love the feel of total luxury and at the same time, total performance. It's such a great balance.

I have not had any reliability issues whatsoever. I only have 4800 miles on my '05, but still, none to date to report. I know first hand the quality of GM vehicles over the last 5 years has improved drastically just from the different vehicles I have owned in the last 10 years. I had an Acura TL Type S about a year ago and it was a pc. of s**t. More problems then I could shake a stick at and the dealer was terrible at handling them.

You definitely won't be sorry after you buy the V, weather it's the used one or the new one.

Good Luck....sorry for rambling on.....

trukk
02-18-05, 08:06 AM

Well my wheels are always black. Does that count?

-Chris

PACTSV
02-18-05, 04:30 PM
I have 18K miles on my Black 04 (first week of production) and other than being on my second set of tires (Dunlop Winter Sports this time), I have yet to have a problem. Now that I have said that, I'll walk out and the transmission will be on the ground. Come back in 2010 and I'll probably still have it. Sold my '66 GTO when my son was born in '69 and I'm still kicking myself. As Rob said...get teh '04 adn if you don't like it, get an '06.

Groo-V
02-18-05, 05:00 PM
Black is beautiful baby! I don't believe there will be too much depreciation hit between the '04's and '05's mainly because they're effectively the same and fewer were made in the first year (i.e. rarer). I love my '04 black V (other than they tires that I'm replacing at 6K). Best all around car I've owned. btw....chicks dig black too. Once you go black....you'll never go back.

lawfive
02-18-05, 06:33 PM
Black is beautiful baby! I don't believe there will be too much depreciation hit between the '04's and '05's mainly because they're effectively the same and fewer were made in the first year (i.e. rarer). I love my '04 black V (other than they tires that I'm replacing at 6K). Best all around car I've owned. btw....chicks dig black too. Once you go black....you'll never go back.

Bah. Chicks dig platinum... younger ones in their jewelry; really old ones in their hair.

Although, I have to admit... the blacks do have bigger sticks. :coolgleam But that just means longer throws.

Going_Fast
02-18-05, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the input! I'm getting close, just not sure which way yet. I kind of like the stealth grey '05, just because it is different. I've never had a black car (have the diamond white SRX and white Z71 Burb now). I'm leaning toward the light platinum silver..... just because I can't afford the time to obsess over a keeping the black clean.

Thanks again for the input and I'll let you know! Looks like I'm going to have a Saleen for sale soon! Out of storage room and though I don't drive the Olds much, I hate to think about cutting it loose!

lawfive
02-18-05, 07:46 PM
Looks like I'm going to have a Saleen for sale soon! Out of storage room and though I don't drive the Olds much, I hate to think about cutting it loose!

UR making the right choice. :)

Rob Ketcham
02-22-05, 08:00 PM
My take for what it's worth. If the W30 has to go to get the V, its not really much of an issue. My last W30 was a Black Hurst Olds, and I miss it from time to time, but it was a straight line car and the brakes and handling were OK but nothing that would even run with a slotted 510, with a Weber carb and decent tires. If I was driving my Hurst these days I would have probably want, indeed require, to put the body on a Vette frame, or substitute airbags for the springs, and add some Baer, Wildwood or other braking systems. When that is said and done, unless you are J. Leno and have pots of money, go for the V. It is a very special car. If I had a better dealer I'd be keeping mine, but being treated like a Cavalier owner (or is that Vega) just doesn't cut it for me.

Going_Fast
02-22-05, 11:16 PM
Rob, Sorry to hear your dealer stinks. I hate that!

I'll actually be keeping the W30. It is a national show winning W30 and even though I don't drive it much, it is appreciating nicely (unlike all of my other cars). I'll sell the Saleen at some point. Probably pick up the V first, but the Saleen will go up for sale in the next few weeks. Fun car, but the drone makes my head want to explode. I guess I'm getting old....think Caddy's are cool now. I also like my wife's V8 SRX AWD. Not perfect by any means, but a pretty decent overall fun factor combined with practicality. The V will end up being my primary fun car. I'll drive the big bus (Z71 burb) on nasty days.

The dealer I'm looking to purchase from has been very honest and helpful. It looks like they have another concensus coming up soon and at this point, they don't want any more cars. He thinks that will push GM to offer some additional incentives. They have none on CTS products right now, unless you lease ($2500). He feels confident that they will step up to the plate and come up with some incentives soon. Since our weather is still lousy (Northern Indiana), I won't purchase for a month or two and I think they will have some additional incentives in place by then. 30 month lease now for around $600/month including tax. Not bad, but I think I can end up doing better.

SBONES
02-23-05, 08:23 AM
its a great car. Like any they have a couple problems. If u arnt a picky person youll enjoy the car. Me, i never drove stick befor and im learning. I hear some tranny noise. Maybe its me, maybe not..

Rob Ketcham
02-23-05, 06:42 PM
I got my V in KC from the guy who bought the dealership there from my Dad. Let me know if I can help. Sounds like keeping the W30 works for you which is great since they were as good as it got in those days in my opinion.

And speaking of those days, I used to get a new one each year, but always an amazingly optioned out wagon since I have four kids and like to haul (double meaning intended).

The V is awesome, its the dealers and Cadillac support that is way below par. If you have a good dealer, that is half the battle and worth going into with your eyes open.