: TV Cable

Scottie in Alabama
02-16-05, 09:51 PM
Hey guys, I asked this question on another tread but decided to start a new one.

I wanted to know if the TV cable could be adjusted to allow the tranny to shift out of 1st at lower RPM's? My car seems to hold 1st a long time and makes the car seem like it is in a strain.

N0DIH
02-16-05, 10:57 PM
Correct adjustment is to press in button and push cable in towards firewall, then move throttle at throttle body to WOT. It will click into proper adjustment. (engine off!!)

I personally got best results by resetting it and then going to WOT inside the car.

As for anything to make it upshift EARLIER is messing with disaster. A misadjusted TV cable can destroy a trans in short order. It controls oil pressure and it will be lower than normal and will cause an early trans death.

I recommend adj this cable every 6 months. My 91 Bonneville (sold now) is over 250K miles and the trans has never been touched. The current owners drive it daily with no issues.

You CAN adjust it one click stop in from WOT setting to firm up shifts, this is acceptable and there is special cables to ensure this adj stays, as if you mash the gas, it will readjust itself.

Tom

Scottie in Alabama
02-16-05, 11:39 PM
I recently had it rebuilt and it shifts differently now.

N0DIH
02-16-05, 11:52 PM
Is it misadjusted now (too tight?)

Did the rebuilder put a cable on it that has a spring at the end, with the cable through it? It might be one of those cables I mentioned. They can be annoying if they are adjusted too tight.

Pop the hood and go to WOT (hard, all the way) and see if it clicks any.

If you want to back it off one notch, go to WOT and then press on the cable to make it click 1 time.

The TV cable isn't a kickdown cable, just replaces the vacuum modulator for more accurate throttle sensing. It will trigger detent downshift, but not the same as a THM250/350. So if there is high shiftpoints, it is possible the governer was programmed wrong or messed with. Just how high are they?

Tom

Scottie in Alabama
02-17-05, 02:32 AM
Is it misadjusted now (too tight?)

Did the rebuilder put a cable on it that has a spring at the end, with the cable through it? It might be one of those cables I mentioned. They can be annoying if they are adjusted too tight.

Pop the hood and go to WOT (hard, all the way) and see if it clicks any.

If you want to back it off one notch, go to WOT and then press on the cable to make it click 1 time.

The TV cable isn't a kickdown cable, just replaces the vacuum modulator for more accurate throttle sensing. It will trigger detent downshift, but not the same as a THM250/350. So if there is high shiftpoints, it is possible the governer was programmed wrong or messed with. Just how high are they?

Tom

Don't really know how high they are. I'll have to check tomorrow to see if it has the spring around it, I just want it to move more smoothly, instead of pulling like its in a strain. Rides beautifully past 1st gear, even has pretty good compression in 2nd.