: Is your blower lid hot to the touch?

topend22
07-01-13, 03:52 PM
Hey guys , I didn't notice this till we got some warm whether but my lid on the blower and the new era intake gets really hot. Almost to the point you can't leave your hand on it for more then 10 20 seconds. Is this normal? Do your motors get this hot? I do have the track attack HX installed too.

spearfish25
07-01-13, 08:02 PM
Engines work by making gas explode in the cylinders. The cylinders are made of metal and metal conducts heat. The blower is also metal and conducts this heat which makes it hot. Yes, it gets hot. This is why it has its own cooling system.

OK, I'm done. Short answer: No worries, you're perfectly OK. :)

Now go drive the piss out of your car and then check the oil. You'll see smoke come out of the dipstick. That had me freaked until I realized the dipstick channel goes right past the exhaust manifold.

RapidRob
07-01-13, 10:14 PM
^^^ - All true indeed, but it's my understanding that the, 'New Era', intake includes a metal pipe, which would also heat up and transfer some of that heat to the incoming air. While this is normal with that intake, many use alternative intake kits that use non-metallic intake pipes which do not conduct as much heat and allows cooler air through to the TB/blower. Probably just a bit better IMO.

Rob

baabootoo
07-02-13, 01:42 PM
Plus the engine heat rises, making it worse.

DCV
07-02-13, 02:59 PM
Don't touch it with your tongue Ralphie, and you will be fine. Remember that frozen pole?

vagondr
07-02-13, 09:04 PM
Seems to me that those engine covers trap a lot of heat or do they assist ventilation? What I'm getting at is what purpose do they serve and are they necessary? There is certainly a lot of heat trapped under the hood. Good thing the battery has a remote location.

spearfish25
07-02-13, 10:42 PM
You can remove the engine covers...purely cosmetic and perhaps a bit of sound deadening. But you're not going to notice any performance gain or changes in cooling.

lambdaman
07-10-13, 09:34 AM
You want to talk about heat, listen even with a functional hood scoop this is one heat generating mother.