: Need advice from current v owners

vonhiner
02-16-05, 07:20 PM
I need some advise from current v owners to help me decide if I should buy this car as a daily driver. First...I know cadillac recommends premium fuel, But is it necessary??Will the engine knock if you use regular gas(like my 1990 Deville). Also,Being from Indiana, snow is a reality here plus I have a hill on my driveway. I understand that snow or all season tires are required for the snow season, but do these tire changes make the car driveable in a few inches of snow. I am used to driving a 2000 Deville which does very well in the snow. Thanks for your input on the V. Von

homer403
02-16-05, 07:53 PM
My CTS-V is a daily driver and I love it. Some may differ but I do wish it had something equivalent to BMW's SMG, but am happy the manual. My commute here is Washington DC is mostly stop and go. The only thing is, don't even think about driving it in the snow, even with snow tires. Hope this helps. Oh, and stick with premium, why not after spending that much money for the car.

CVP33
02-16-05, 07:55 PM
Not meant as a dig but if running premium fuel is a primary concern I would look at another vehicle. I can't see high octane as an option. The few pennies you'll save will be deducted in horsepower output and driving excitement.

StealthV
02-16-05, 07:57 PM
If the LS6 senses knock from using a lesser grade fuel, it will remove anywhere from 1 to 12 degrees of ignition timing advance to keep the fuel from pre-igniting.

The following table shows the maximum amount of igntion timing removed at a given mass air flow vs. engine rpm. When lower octane fuel is used, the engine computer will interpolate between the high and low octane maps (the 1 to 12 degrees difference shown) to prevent knock.

The performance loss and resulting fuel economy loss from removing timing is like robbing Peter to pay Paul. :cheers:

http://www.nitro-nights.com/2005v/V_spark.jpg

urbanski
02-16-05, 07:59 PM
you and your fancy arrows, Rick :p

You have to put premium in it, or buy another car.
Why make your 400HP car 250HP over 10 cents/gal.

urbanski
02-16-05, 08:36 PM
also, i cannot personally speak for snow (it's about 75 here now :D)
but I do know if you want to drive her in snow, you need snow tires. Of course you may also need to buy a second set of wheels to mount them on, unless you want to risk some guy scratching your stock rims swapping tires.
But bottom line, the car is a freakin hoot, i love her more every day.

rand49er
02-16-05, 11:21 PM
Got my v three weeks ago and we promptly got 12 inches of snow here. I don't take it out when roads are covered with snow (I use my old Taurus .. front wheel drive, 5spd manual ... does great). I did have the opportunity to drive the v on my driveway with a bit of packed snow and about a 5% grade, and it couldn't make it up and into the garage until I put it in 2nd gear and feathered the clutch. Yeah, you'll need snow tires. BUT, there's plenty of dry days even during the winter months, and you'll absolutely LOVE the car. I'd get the extra wheels with snow tires if I had to depend on it on a daily basis. And, by the way, run premium fuel, too. Yeah, it's frustrating to spend the extra bucks, but I've done a lot of fish hooks on engine dynos as a young engineer, and stealthv if right, you don't want to retard your timing if possible.

CTSV05
02-17-05, 01:14 AM
Well, the car is drivable, but is a handful in snow. We have a 3/4 ton Busburban for bad days.

If you are concerned with the financial aspect of premium fuel, then you will not want anything to do with synthetic oil changes, and rear end lubes, etc...Not to mention replacing rubber.