: A dead on (in my humble opinion) review of the ATS 2.0T by Autoweek....

mbk2010
07-01-13, 02:38 PM
His comments about the engine sound and CUE ring so true, but overall he sees beyond that and gives it the nod over a 335i M-Sport !

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130701/CARREVIEWS/130619794?utm_source=DailyDrive20130701&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=image1&utm_content=20130701-2013-Cadillac-ATS-2.0L-Turbo-review-notes&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

KXAM
07-01-13, 03:32 PM
Well, we drove all three versions and most assuredly did not care for either of the 4 bangers! And yes, I have to admit I do not care for turbo charged cars. I barely can tolerate a V6 but that is because I have most always driven big American V8's and have a C6 6spd manual as my DD. The Caddy V6 is in my opinion, enough to get this smallish Caddy around more than adequately. Will most likely also deliver decent mileage and then again, the ATS is my gf's daily driver. GF was unimpressed with the 4's and she really made them work on our tests drives. The noise about drove her nuts, that's why we went with the V6.

cbutcho
07-10-13, 09:06 PM
I agree with the article, the sound of this exhaust system is lame!!! Wondering how GM could let it go as it ruins the driving experience to my taste. Sad because it is a great responsive and powerfull engine but the sound makes you feel like the engine is suffering and ratteling which is obviously not the case. Is it possible that the 3 engines share the same exhaust system and that it was originally designed and tuned for the V6 so that it does not match the 2.0T??????

73JPS
07-14-13, 09:02 PM
I don't have a problem with the sound of this car, but I've always driven high-revving 4 cylinders, or engines that require a certain amount of "thrashing" to get power. For me, this engine note is just fine: quiet when it's not being pushed, and there when you press it. Personal opinion, I guess.

It is quite interesting to note, however, how much of what is criticized about this car was done intentionally, http://www.esquire.com/features/cars/cadillac-ats-specs-1012-2 , including the exhaust note (scroll down to the paragraph starting with "Kyle Stanforth...")

M5eater
07-15-13, 02:36 PM
I don't have a problem with the sound of this car, but I've always driven high-revving 4 cylinders, or engines that require a certain amount of "thrashing" to get power. For me, this engine note is just fine: quiet when it's not being pushed, and there when you press it. Personal opinion, I guess.

It is quite interesting to note, however, how much of what is criticized about this car was done intentionally, http://www.esquire.com/features/cars/cadillac-ats-specs-1012-2 , including the exhaust note (scroll down to the paragraph starting with "Kyle Stanforth...")

It's not so much volume or decibles, rather tone.

This engine sounds like a chainsaw dragging against unoiled cogs. The induction noise (if you can call it that) is horrible, tinny, and just wrong. There's no turbo spooling sound even. So you're just left with a whole lot of disappointment.

Exhaust noise from outside is great, but listening to the engine from inside, it's just not very good.

miguelius
07-15-13, 10:42 PM
While the exhaust note is not strong or melodious in the 2.0 turbo, it rarely is in 4 cylinder turbos. Listen to the blatty sound of some World Rally Cars. On the other hand, if you ever want to hear an awesome 2.0 turbo sound, find the video of Ari Vatanen doing the Pikes Peak Hillclimb in Peugeot group 6 car in 1989. That video will blow your sox off because of the sheer excitement of blasting sideways up the dirt road (now completely paved), and the engine sounded heroic. Regarding the ATS, at least it is not a phony, piped in sound like the Focus ST. I think it's got a good "edge" to the sound under hard acceleration. The Autoweek reviewer grossly overstated his description of the engine sound and characteristics, but that's a journalist for you, paid to sensationalize at the expense of an accurate description.

Hoosier Daddy
07-15-13, 11:21 PM
While the exhaust note is not strong or melodious in the 2.0 turbo, it rarely is in 4 cylinder turbos.
Who needs melodious? just give me the 1300 HP of a good 1.5 litre turbo 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfWTBNx1-kE

73JPS
07-16-13, 01:49 AM
It's not so much volume or decibles, rather tone.

This engine sounds like a chainsaw dragging against unoiled cogs. The induction noise (if you can call it that) is horrible, tinny, and just wrong. There's no turbo spooling sound even. So you're just left with a whole lot of disappointment.

Exhaust noise from outside is great, but listening to the engine from inside, it's just not very good.

I'm sorry, but I just can't agree with you on this. I don't really recall making any discriminating statements regarding "volume" or "decibels", nor does the referenced article for which I provided the link; having said that, I seem to be in the minority with respect to my opinion on the tone of this exhaust, so I'll just have to say "whatever", shrug, and move on.

miguelius
07-17-13, 02:01 AM
I'm with you, 73JPS. I don't think it sounds "thrashy" at all. Hey, get used to the concept, Autoweek (and some other naysayers in the automotive press); it's a 4 cylinder engine in a Cadillac, and it is the engine best suited to the ATS's character. The old Pinto based SOHC engine in the Merkur and Mustang SVO, now that was thrashy (but still cool). Man, does that Bimmer Megatron F1 engine sound mean, though, especially when moving under load. Another epic sounding turbo 4 was the Toyota GTP car in IMSA racing from the 1990s, which was also in Rod Millen's record-breaking Pikes Peak Hillclimb cars, all of which I had the pleasure of seeing and hearing. Any way you cut it, 700 or so HP out of 2 liters (well, 2.1, I think, in the Toyota) sounds awesome!:histeric:

Hoosier Daddy
07-17-13, 06:52 AM
Another epic sounding turbo 4 was the Toyota GTP car in IMSA racing from the 1990s, which was also in Rod Millen's record-breaking Pikes Peak Hillclimb cars, all of which I had the pleasure of seeing and hearing.
Oh YEAH. I forgot about those.

M5eater
07-17-13, 06:06 PM
I don't really recall making any discriminating statements regarding "volume" or "decibels"
Probably because you confused 'audibility' for tone, and I had to guess what you meant based on your contextual use of adjectives describing noise.

For me, this engine note is just fine:quiet when it's not being pushed, and there when you press it.
Whatever indeed.

CTSCHICK
07-17-13, 06:10 PM
The 2.0 turbo engine noise is fine with me I find the road noise more annoying in the ATS

73JPS
07-17-13, 06:53 PM
Probably because you confused 'audibility' for tone, and I had to guess what you meant based on your contextual use of adjectives describing noise.

No, I'm pretty sure I knew what I was writing when I used the term "tone", although in point of fact I did not use that term in my initial post in this thread, the one to which you were responding: is it possible you confused "tone" with "note"? The latter is actually quite commonly used to describe the overall level of aural satisfaction with regards to a vehicle's exhaust, and requires little interpretation of the contextual use of adjectives.

This engine sounds like a chainsaw dragging against unoiled cogs.

Overwrought and exaggerated statements tend to diminish the credibility of opinions.

ben.gators
07-18-13, 01:19 AM
Someone here posted that the 2.0L turbo sounds like a blender! I hope I never have read his comment! The truth is he is right, and now whenever I push the gas, the engine sound reminds me of blender! But again, many 2.0L turbo engines sound terrible; it is not just the ATS!

73JPS
07-18-13, 01:44 AM
Someone here posted that the 2.0L turbo sounds like a blender! I hope I never have read his comment! The truth is he is right, and now whenever I push the gas, the engine sound reminds me of blender! But again, many 2.0L turbo engines sound terrible; it is not just the ATS!

Yikes. :bigroll:

Fraggy
07-18-13, 01:45 AM

You're right, but a bit more pleasing exhaust tone could be achieved.

ben.gators
07-18-13, 02:10 AM
Blimey... now correct me if I'm wrong, but I interpret your comment as follows: "The sound of my ATS didn't intrude negatively into my consciousness until I read someone's internet post... now I find the sound of my ATS objectionable (though it didn't bother me before); but that's okay, because lots of 2.0L turbo cars sound terrible."

People complaining in exaggerated terms about the exhaust note of this car: did none of you drive crappy 4 cylinders during your youth? Or are you currently still too much in your youth to know the difference? :stirpot:

Crap: I'm probably too OLD to HEAR the difference :D
1- I wasn't a big fan of engine noise even before reading that comment. My previous car had a N* V-8 engine and it sounded great! As a result I wasn't very happy about the engine sound of my new ATS from the beginning. That post caused me to pay more attention to the engine sound and compare it with the blender and ....

2- I have driven stupid, cheap, 4-cylnder cars! But my brand new ATS is not one of them and it is not supposed to sound like them.

3- I am not saying that it is OK because the rest of 2.0L turbos sound the same. My point is that it seems that this type of sound and noise is intrinsic to 4-cylender turbo engines, and it seems that Cadillac couldn't do much better....

4- You are not too old, you are just too grumpy! :D

73JPS
07-18-13, 02:29 AM
1- That post caused me to pay more attention to the engine sound and compare it with the blender

Exactly...

2- I have driven stupid, cheap, 4-cylnder cars! But my brand new ATS is not one of them and it is not supposed to sound like them.

And since you have driven them, you know it is totally disingenuous to say that the ATS sounds anything like them.

4- You are not too old, you are just too grumpy! :D

Yes... yes I am :) But more to the point of my ranting, I'm just a bit of a stickler for proper use of language and description. Everything these days is sound-bite over-exaggerated, and it does bring out my cranky side. I once had an '83 RX-7 with a carbureted 13B rotary; THAT sounded like blender: somewhat tinny, consistent in timbre throughout its pitch range, but relatively smooth. So, a blender after all the stuff was chopped up, I guess :D

EnvoyBu
07-18-13, 06:44 AM
Just to clear things up, it was me that said it sounded like a blender.

And I stand by that comment.

ben.gators
07-18-13, 07:03 AM
Just to clear things up, it was me that said it sounded like a blender.

And I stand by that comment.

I wish I could say you are wrong!

M5eater
07-18-13, 07:56 AM
No, I'm pretty sure I knew what I was writing when I used the term "tone", although in point of fact I did not use that term in my initial post in this thread, the one to which you were responding: is it possible you confused "tone" with "note"? The latter is actually quite commonly used to describe the overall level of aural satisfaction with regards to a vehicle's exhaust, and requires little interpretation of the contextual use of adjectives.

Overwrought and exaggerated statements tend to diminish the credibility of opinions.

sleep is a helluva drug

I will say, since the car (and by extension the muffler) have broken in a bit more, that it's changed significantly. The chain noise is much more muffled, and while I still wish there were more intake noise, it's approximately comparable to the other D/I 4 cylinders out there. Maybe slightly better than your average econobox, but still no singer.

Hoosier Daddy
07-18-13, 11:21 AM
There is a fix for that. People's feeling about sounds can be influenced by things they associate with the sounds, which may explain why I find the 2.0 sounds pleasant. But I digress (I realize that's a given and this comment is digression squared). Anyway, all you need to do is to condition your mind to associate the sound of a blender with pleasure. A strict regimen of frozen margaritas should do the trick for you as well as it does for me.

EnvoyBu
07-19-13, 04:35 AM
There is a fix for that. People's feeling about sounds can be influenced by things they associate with the sounds, which may explain why I find the 2.0 sounds pleasant. But I digress (I realize that's a given and this comment is digression squared). Anyway, all you need to do is to condition your mind to associate the sound of a blender with pleasure. A strict regimen of frozen margaritas should do the trick for you as well as it does for me.

Well played!

I do prefer single malt scotch though...

Hoosier Daddy
07-19-13, 09:38 AM
Well played!

I do prefer single malt scotch though...
That would be good if the motor sounded like bag pipes.

General Lee 01
07-23-13, 01:00 PM
It's funny how all of us new ATS owners come from different backgrounds as far as what kinds of cars/engines we have owned and driven, and then compare these favorites to the ATS. The v8 people seem to be the loudest at complaining about the sound of the 2.0 exhaust note. I haven't read many complaints from the Suburu folks, or the other ricers, or the other domestic turbo folks. I don't mind the sound from my 2.0. It is unique to the ATS and has character, as demonstrated by all the comments- good or bad. I like different. If it sounded like most other turbos or like the subies, how boring would that be?