: Question about CARFAX

Sandy
02-16-05, 02:10 PM
I don't know much about how CARFAX works, thusly a question.
If a car sustains massive damage (not totalled) but serious
damage, insurance company pays to fix, that makes it "listed"
on CARFAX, Yes ?? If not, WHAT brings a car to the CARFAX
listings ??

Kev
02-16-05, 02:21 PM
I don't know much about how CARFAX works, thusly a question.
If a car sustains massive damage (not totalled) but serious
damage, insurance company pays to fix, that makes it "listed"
on CARFAX, Yes ?? If not, WHAT brings a car to the CARFAX
listings ??
I beleive they rely on incidences that are reported to the DMV. So, if there is an accident or incidence of auto theft, anything that is reported to police and transfered to the DMV or reports to insurance companies who in turn report them to the DMV, etc.

Kev

Sandy
02-17-05, 12:27 AM
Thanks.
So, you are saying if "car-A" gets hit, say a $500 smack, like a fender, and owner reports it to insurance comapny (as a hit & run) to a parked car, the insurance company reports it to Carfax? (Or by some other means, carfax aquires that info and then makes a file for your car... and publishes it??).

Kev
02-17-05, 12:34 AM
Thanks.
So, you are saying if "car-A" gets hit, say a $500 smack, like a fender, and owner reports it to insurance comapny (as a hit & run) to a parked car, the insurance company reports it to Carfax? (Or by some other means, carfax aquires that info and then makes a file for your car... and publishes it??).
Close. I'm saying that when a car is involved in an accident that is reported to insurance or a police report is made out, the police and insurance company in turn report to the DMV. Carfax gets it's info from the DMV.
So, let's say a car you are looking at has been T-boned pretty good, but the parties didn't report to insurance or obtain police reports, had the cars repaired, the DMV never gets the info and neither does CarFax.
That's my understanding.

Kev
02-17-05, 12:38 AM
Of course, as all of us on this site are no doubt aware, it is illegal in California at least, to fail to report an accident where the damage exceeds...? I can't remember the value, I think it is $500 or more? Something like that.

youbetcha77
02-17-05, 01:31 AM
Your exactly right. It has to be reported to the police to be included in Carfax. In most states a insurance company wont pay out unless there is a police report.

Blaze

Sandy
02-17-05, 02:11 AM
THANKS! I UNDERSTAND. I kinda left out the DMV from the equation ~ now I get it. :bouncy: