: Replacing Belt Idler & belt - HELP!

944s2guy
02-16-05, 03:09 PM
Having a problem getting the belt idler that failed on my friends Aurora 4.0 Northstar engine (1997). The problem is how the heck to get the plate off the front of the engine that motor mount attaches too. I have the motor supported by the lift and all the mounting bolts off the motor mount and plate but cannot get the enough room to slip that pesky plate off to get to the idler pulley. :madtalkin

Any tricks or advice would be great! Thanks guys!!

BeelzeBob
02-16-05, 11:21 PM
You do not need to support the engine. It is possible to remove the belt from the pulleys and then by selectively removing one of the mounting bolts and spacers at a time and "untrapping" the belt you can change the belt without removing the engine mounting plate or supporting the engine. It takes a little longer than on the Northstar engines without the torque-axis mounting plate but it is very doable. I think that only two of the engine plate mounting bolts actually trap the belt although it has been some time since I changed one. It should be pretty obvious, though, if you look as to which ones need to be removed. By removing only one at a time, removing that belt loop and then replacing the bolt before doing the next one it will not disturb the engine plate alignment nor unsupport the engine.

944s2guy
02-17-05, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the reply. I can see how you could replace the belt without removing the plate.

The problem is the idler pulley's bearing failed and made the belt come off in the first place. The plate needs to come off to replace the idler pulley with a new one. Any suggestions? Is this the actual motor mount on this car?

BeelzeBob
02-17-05, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the reply. I can see how you could replace the belt without removing the plate.

The problem is the idler pulley's bearing failed and made the belt come off in the first place. The plate needs to come off to replace the idler pulley with a new one. Any suggestions? Is this the actual motor mount on this car?

Yea, sorry I missed that on the first read of your post. The plate is the front motor mount. It is called a torque axis mount. Note the mount off the front of the plate to the body structure beside the wheel well. You will have to support the engine and remove that mount so the plate can be moved away from the engine slightly.