: Why Are CTS V Specific Threads Redirected?

VCONVERT
02-16-05, 02:01 PM
Several have posted messages regarding the V Audio system with great information and solutions to problems. I thought the board monitors had agreed to leave them on the CTS V board. The audio system is as integral to the car as are tires, exhausts, wheels, intakes, battery, etc. This is our forum - why can't these posts stay on our board! :annoyed:

Kels55
02-16-05, 02:22 PM
Maybe they should try leaving it on the CTS-V board and redirecting it from the Infotainment board instead of the other way around. That way they would leave it in the board it was intended for and stop upsetting us CTS-V owners at the same time.

drdsgolf
02-16-05, 02:33 PM
It seems to me that some sort of web purist is making this type of call. I think someone with a very weak sense of humor was jealous of the fun people were having on my thread about the DVD player, and in my opinion, there was no reason to move the thread to what is essentially thread purgatory, in my case it was the Cadillac entertainment area, a place where any good thread will die quickly. This is our forum. No one violated any profanity rules. If you think the posts ran afar from the original theme, I will be happy to show the moderators many other examples where this happens and no one condems the thread to a non-existence. Lighten up here moderators, will you.

ds

lawfive
02-16-05, 02:53 PM
It seems to me that some sort of web purist is making this type of call. I think someone with a very weak sense of humor was jealous of the fun people were having on my thread about the DVD player, and in my opinion, there was no reason to move the thread to what is essentially thread purgatory, in my case it was the Cadillac entertainment area, a place where any good thread will die quickly. This is our forum. No one violated any profanity rules. If you think the posts ran afar from the original theme, I will be happy to show the moderators many other examples where this happens and no one condems the thread to a non-existence. Lighten up here moderators, will you.

ds

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

trukk
02-16-05, 03:06 PM
Benjet is actually a great Moderator. I think he was just trying to:

a) get a wider audience, and thus more feedback to the posts that may not be 100% V specific
b) keep this forum as V specific as possible, so V pertinent threads don't slip into obscurity (i.e. off the front page) so quick.

Being a mod is basically a thankless job, akin to organizing group-buys on a daily basis.

Good job Benjet!

-Chris

lawfive
02-16-05, 03:20 PM
Whoops, thanks Trukk. Too quick to "Yeah that" on my part. I don't agree with any of the "Weak sense of humor" crap; I strongly agree that the thread will get more loving care and feeding in this active forum.

Sorry BJ, didn't mean to help cast aspersions/deprecations/denegrations.

-- Jerry

trukk
02-16-05, 03:25 PM
Whoops, thanks Trukk. Too quick to "Yeah that" on my part. I don't agree with any of the "Weak sense of humor" crap; I strongly agree that the thread will get more loving care and feeding in this active forum.

Sorry BJ, didn't mean to help cast aspersions/deprecations/denegrations.

-- Jerry

I agree that if the NAV system is V specific it shoudl stay here. If it is used inother models though, it should go in the appropriate place. I'm not sure where it's used though. I've never even used the DVD player.

-Chris

Z06CTSV
02-16-05, 04:10 PM
I only go to the V Thread. I guess I'm missing a lot of stuff.

drdsgolf
02-16-05, 04:58 PM
I only go to the V Thread. I guess I'm missing a lot of stuff.

That's my point, most of us are reading just the CTS-V site so if a thread is banished elsewhere, it suffers a silent demise. Benjet is a great guy on these threads--I wasn't aware that he specifically made this decision to move my thread. I do wonder though, if there is a lot of playful humor somewhat off the subject in a thread if perhaps the moderators take umbrage at that. That's really what I meant regarding the sense of humor issue. I'm still waiting for someone to break down the DVD player controls for enhanced use, but since my thread was banished, no one has posted on it.

ds

trukk
02-16-05, 05:22 PM
I basically only read the CTS-V forum also.

A good place to post stuff about 'open issues' is the newly created "OPEN MODIFICATION ISSUES" Thread. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31365

Perhaps a good place to post your DVD issues drdsgolf.

-Chris

02-16-05, 05:29 PM
No one violated any profanity rules.
ds

I beg to differ. As I recall, somebody said "toto"

:lildevil:

ctsvett
02-16-05, 05:33 PM
Hey guys,
The moderators and the admins are discussing this issue right now, so hold tight... We hear your concerns and are working toward a policy that will make everyone happy.

Reed

lawfive
02-16-05, 05:54 PM
Hey guys,
The moderators and the admins are discussing this issue right now, so hold tight... We hear your concerns and are working toward a policy that will make everyone happy.

Reed

Can't be done. Just making everyone happy will itself make somebody unhappy...

Vrocks
02-16-05, 06:08 PM
It's too bad they can't do a "shadow copy" of the audio CTS-V thread. By that I mean, a thread about changing the audio system in the CTS-V could appear on the CTS forum as well. When people make posts in the thread it would be updated in both forums... That way everyone could get more information, and the thread would live for an appropriate amount of time in each forum. :hmm:

drdsgolf
02-16-05, 07:01 PM
I beg to differ. As I recall, somebody said "toto"

:lildevil:

Ouch!! But can I really trust anyone who goes by a number? How come your number isn't 666?

ds

benjet
02-16-05, 08:46 PM
OK so since *I* moved 2 of the recent threads I will attempt to rebut any and all who have posted on this thread. I was tasked to keep some sense of order around here, and now that we have broken off from the CTS forum this includes managing crossover threads (as well as misplaced, abusive, blah blah blah etc. posts or threads). Apparently the only real way to do this for a thread is 1> Full thread copy, 2> Move w/o redirect, 3> Move w/redirect.

VCONVERT - Intregal, yes, V specific NO. The audio/nav is the same in the CTS and V, and *I BELIEVE* also now the STS.

Kels55 - Actually that's kinda what i was trying to do, but that option really isn't available, I wanted it to be in both without creating 2 parallel yet different threads (using option 1 above). Apparently the souce will alwyas show the redirect, and the target gets the main thread (using option 3 above)

drdsgolf - I assure you it HAD ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with any of the humor posted to the thread, as explained above.

trukk- thanks, see above

lawfive - I was HOPING to be able to bump the thread back to the top of the V forum, but it didn't work out that I could :(

That should cover most of the details, any more questions?

Not trying to be inconsiderate, or heavy handed, just trying to do what was asked of me. I did try to post comments in the threads I moved explaining why they were moved. We (mods and admins) are working to find a comfortable balance/solution for these binary/trinary type threads. And yes I agree there is no solution that will please everyone (as it was a MAJOR step to split the V series off from the base models). I will see what else we can do to keep the V forum members happy, and I sincerely apologize if I have bothered anyone by moving the threads.

-Ben

P.S. PLEASE FEEL FREE to comment, criticize, or complain either about me or the board, directly to me (publically or privately), Reed, the other mods or even Sal. I am not above criticisms or improvement, I am an active member of this community who wishes to be a benifical mod, and I can't read your minds, if you got a problem SPEAK UP! I am here for you.

/Soapbox off

CVP33
02-16-05, 09:25 PM
Benjet - You smell funny.

ctsvette - You look funny.

Sal - Whatever.

Man that felt good. :drinker

lawfive
02-16-05, 09:34 PM
Is this thread going to be redirected? :D

Vrocks
02-16-05, 09:46 PM
So there's no way to have a thread spanning multiple forums (without a full copy?)?

If a thread didn't originate in a particular forum it could/would show up as a different color. The thread would move up or down a particular forums list depending upon how many new posts are made in that specific forum. That way, it wouldn't stay at the top of a forum because itís receiving updates from another forum. You could see all of the new and old posts, and it wouldn't take up any more space on your servers. It's like taking the "moved thread" command a step or two further.

Just an idea. :drinker as this forum is already excellent. Something like this would be truly unique, atleast compared to other automotive forums that I've seen.

Sandyfoot-V
02-16-05, 09:48 PM
I agree completely with drdsgolf. The thread was a bit of topic, but was great fun to participate in. Please do not move such fluent thought processes.

P.S. Do you really listen to Toto and use moisturizer?
:) :) :)

BUILDINGCTSAMG
02-16-05, 11:10 PM
vrocks we have been trying to do a shadow type forum for a while...its just impossible as far as the software goes right now...Guys who just read the CTS V forum... I hate to say it but your wrong, and some of you are getting the reputation of being a bit of a snobs.....join the family

drdsgolf
02-17-05, 01:04 AM
I agree completely with drdsgolf. The thread was a bit of topic, but was great fun to participate in. Please do not move such fluent thought processes.

:) :) :)

Sandyfoot: I am invulnerable on both issues. I am 58 and have been around rock and roll a long time. While there is no accounting for difference in people's tastes, I prefer genuine music to noise. Toto is an excellent rock/jazz fusion band, very tight. Meanwhile, if you haven't tried Clinique lotion as an after-shave, you don't know how good you could actually look.

ds

Vrocks
02-17-05, 01:19 AM
Guys who just read the CTS V forum... I hate to say it but your wrong, and some of you are getting the reputation of being a bit of a snobs.....join the family

I spend about 95% of my time in the CTS-V forum, simply because I don't have much to contribute to the other forums. :confused:

I did post a kill story in the Kills section recently, if you guys didn't already read it, it was me vs. a Lotus Elise... :lildevil:

vrocks we have been trying to do a shadow type forum for a while...its just impossible as far as the software goes right now...
That's cool... we need more supporting members to support a future software upgrade. BTW, being able to edit my posts without the "last edited on...." appearing at the bottom is nice...

lawfive
02-17-05, 02:06 AM

:) :) :) Heh heh!

"... And Toto, too?"

"Yes, Dear, and Toto, too."

http://www.angelfire.com/ar/1776/axoom/oz/goodwitch.jpg (http://www.angelfire.com/ar/1776/axoom/mypretty.wav)

lawfive
02-17-05, 02:25 AM
Help! I think I'm addicted to a Web forum... :bulging:

Kels55
02-17-05, 09:16 AM
Kels55 - Actually that's kinda what i was trying to do, but that option really isn't available, I wanted it to be in both without creating 2 parallel yet different threads (using option 1 above). Apparently the souce will alwyas show the redirect, and the target gets the main thread (using option 3 above)

Would it be possible to do option 2 and then option 3. That way you move it to a new "source" , and then redirecting it will make the CTS-V board the target?

benjet
02-17-05, 11:27 AM
Would it be possible to do option 2 and then option 3. That way you move it to a new "source" , and then redirecting it will make the CTS-V board the target?

Possibly, except that I'm not a mod of the infotainment section so as soon as I move it, I lose control :( and can't do 3 back.