: some indie shop tried to screw me

Adam
02-15-05, 06:28 PM
ok Saturday morning i took my Fleetwood to Free Service Tire to get the oil changed. i pull up and they take my car back right away. i thought, this is cool. they get it in the shop (i am watching the whole time) and raise my hood. the guy looks around for like 5 seconds and takes the lid off of my air filter puts it back on and walks away. like a minute later the service counter guy asks me to come to the desk. i go up there and he tells me i need my radiator flushed, my transmission serviced, a new fuel filter and a new air filter. he even wrote all the prices down and a total on the receipt!! ok here is the story. i had my radiator flushed not 2 months ago and the transmission fluid was also done. i got one of those K&N filters everyone talks so highly of and everything. and the dealership told me a long time ago that the fuel filter is a non serviceable filter. i looked the guy in the eye and told him all of this, i said change the oil that is all i want. he didnt know what to do. they gave me a discount on the oil change. it was originally 24.99 and i got it tax and all for 21.09.

Rolex
02-15-05, 07:00 PM
Pretty typical. Did they also offer to exchange the air in your tires? Those places try to scare you into unnecessarily spending a ton of money, when all you really need is your oil changed. I have also seen some dealerships try to slip in extra "necessary service items." Sounds like you did the right thing. :thumbsup:

Adam
02-15-05, 09:10 PM
yeah they tried and told me i needed to do all of this stuff. they didnt know they were messin with a cadillac owners member who happens to know more about Cadillacs than they do. ha, its not the first time its happened either. one time i took it to Hayworth Tire to get the front end aligned and they told me i had some bushing that was broke. it might have been believable if they would have atleast took the damn tire off. they put it in the garage and came out there and told me it was broke and then wouldnt let me go see like most places would. hell even the dealership lets you go back and take a look. (they are to damn expensive though).

90Brougham350
02-16-05, 11:24 AM
It's so true. That's why I think a little basic knowledge, some common sense, and finding a mechanic you know and who knows your vehicle is damn important.

Brian

Adam
02-16-05, 04:17 PM
It's so true. That's why I think a little basic knowledge, some common sense, and finding a mechanic you know and who knows your vehicle is damn important.

Brian

exactly. the guy i used to go to would get me right in and right out. he knew my car inside and out and never tried to sell me anything. my dad and him were good friends and he always fixed stuff for me. sometimes he would do it for free if it was just something small even though i offered to pay him. sadly he closed the shop down cause the guys he worked with got new jobs and he couldnt run the shop by himself. some new guys re opened the shop but i dont trust them. they couldnt schedule me for like two days.

SHERIFF
02-16-05, 04:58 PM
Create some fake Uncle Joe's Plumbing invoices. Pick out 10 names and addresses from your phone book randomly. Mail the 10 addresses a bill for $139. Some guys will write a check to pay it without even asking the wife what it was for. And some women will write a check without even asking the guys what it was for. Out of the 10 bills you send out, you might get 2 or 3 back, paid in full.

The oil change places work with these same results in mind. If they don't cheat but 30% of the people......... they have made a dollar. :D

Kev
02-16-05, 06:12 PM
Create some fake Uncle Joe's Plumbing invoices. Pick out 10 names and addresses from your phone book randomly. Mail the 10 addresses a bill for $139. Some guys will write a check to pay it without even asking the wife what it was for. And some women will write a check without even asking the guys what it was for. Out of the 10 bills you send out, you might get 2 or 3 back, paid in full.
I've heard there is a term for that, let's see, what was that now? Oh yeah, it's called fraud and when you use the US Postal Service it becomes a Federal Offence (there is something about dollar amounts in the mix there somewhere, .....). Anyway, it's a bad bad thing to do! :annoyed: :tisk: I'm not sure that the oil changing hacks are in that same league, but your point is well taken.

I hate it when people try to take advantage like that!
I took my Merc Sable to a dealer for an intermittent miss after exhausting my own knowledge. They wanted to charge me $850 to do a list, some of which had already been done, of items that I ended up doing myself. Of course, there was no surprise that none of the repairs solved my problem. I found an honest mehcanic that fixed it and charged me $85 for labor. It turned out to be a loose ground. A few months later the dealer was nailed by the State for fraud.
Go figure!

Kev

Adam
02-16-05, 06:49 PM
big Kev, he wasnt telling me to do that, he was just showing me a scenario :thumbsup: :D . i told my boss about it today and he actually lives next door to the general manager for free service tire. he is going to talk to him and let him know what happened. he said that his neighbor (the GM) is a very trustworthy guy and a good friend of his and that he would look into the situation.

i knew that something was up when a woman came in right before the guy told me all of this, she was complaining that her water pump wasnt working a day after she got something done there. i didnt think much of it but when that guy called me back there to tell me all that, i got kinda mad but i kept a cool head. but if something on mine messes up and they slipped something under my nose then...:gun2:

Kev
02-17-05, 12:24 AM
big Kev, he wasnt telling me to do that, he was just showing me a scenario :thumbsup: :D .
It's cool Lowlow. I was just pointing out that his analogy, while still in the ball park, was a little far out in left field. Like comparing apples with realy rotten apples.
His point was none the less cogent.

caddydaddy
02-17-05, 08:29 AM
How much to change the glove box filter? lol!

CharBroiled
02-17-05, 09:39 AM
How much to change the glove box filter? lol!

Tons, there are two of them and you need to pull the engine to get to them.

caddydaddy
02-17-05, 12:35 PM
Damn, I guess I'll just buy a new Cadillac!

Sandy
02-17-05, 05:15 PM
Don't forget to change the halogen headlamp fluid, and rotate the wheels lugnuts.

caddydaddy
02-17-05, 09:57 PM
How many transmissions is my car supposed to have? The dealer said someone removed mine a long time ago, and I need to replace them.

Adam
02-17-05, 10:08 PM
hahaha,that is pretty funny. :histeric: . i bet if i went there again and said that they would be like "Oh uh it has 3 they are about $1,000.00 a peice and you need them bad."

evilrussian
02-17-05, 10:31 PM
That is excactly the reason I got fired from jiffylube, don't laugh I was 17 when I worked there. Those bastards pressured us into selling services customers didn't need. I've practically seen people get "raped" there with brand new vehicles, second or third oil change, no lie! I have refused to sell the injection cleaning service, which would set the O2 error in every other car that had it done, and after another lecture from a supervisor I basically told him and jiffyL to f*ck off...

davesdeville
02-18-05, 12:47 AM
WOW I never would've thought some shop would try something like that. :rolleyes:

My friend works at Jiffy lube but I don't think he actually interacts with the customers and tries to sell them stuff.

90Brougham350
02-18-05, 02:46 PM
I have refused to sell the injection cleaning service, which would set the O2 error in every other car that had it done, and after another lecture from a supervisor I basically told him and jiffyL to f*ck off...

Thank God there's someone with a little common sense out there! A friend of mine used to drive a 96 Explosion (explorer) which needed a little tune-up. I used to spray carb cleaner by the bottle down the carburetor of my 85 Pontiac, but that was after I had turned it into a non-computer controlled vehicle; it had leaking valve seals and I was 16 at the time. My friend told this to a sales clerk at a Napa store, and the clerk actually told my friend it was a great idea! Go try it on your Explorer! He did. O2 sensor = broke, check engine light = on. Lot of idiots out there, only us Caddy owners with a little common sense, heh?

Brian

powerglide
04-27-05, 01:56 PM
Had a oil change done a few months ago at some lube shop in NYC......I was watching close. The 'mechanic' pulled the oil filter off, then flipped it over onto a piece of cardboard (old oil from filter spilled on it ofcourse) then handed the cardboard to the 'manager'. The 'manager' called me in, shows the cardboard with the oil stain as says...."do you know how much a new transmission in this cars cost?"
Then goes on to tell me that this fluid cam out of the DIFFERENTIAL! AND unless I replace the differential fluid AND do a transmission flush immediately, I was sure to destroy my tranny at any moment....he says "You're very luck we caught this now"

I was pissed as HELL!!
I let them have it right there in the shop, loud enough so all the customers can hear.....I even considered calling the cops.

Just thinking of all the poor souls who got suckered into useless work makes me steam.

Adam
04-27-05, 04:57 PM
oh man thats bad, i would have went off too. they tried doing that to my dad one time but it didnt work. i told the guy there they wouldnt be seeing me again. from now on i am taking it to a place that has worked on my car before and new my old mechanic. they are straight up with you. just some good ole boys from the south, never been out of Tennessee (actually probably never been out of sullivan county). they replaced something in my car a little while back for 20 dollars. some switch that was causing me to lose oil pressure and kicked my oil pressure light on. 20 dollars just for the part and no labor. have not had a problem since. i didnt go there the last time cause they were closed for some reason.