: Fuel filter R&r

Jimbad
02-15-05, 06:43 PM
Would someone please direct me as to getting the fuel filter ('93 ETC) out of the circular plastic retainer? I do not see anything like a snap-connection that I could release. My new filter did not come with a retainer so I do not want to break the original one, as someone in the archives suggested.
Thanks, Jim

Spyder
02-15-05, 09:18 PM
if its close by, go back to the parts store and get a filter that has the clips...it should come with them...I've never had any luck getting the damned things off without breaking them, so I've gotten to the point where I just replace them...other than that, you'll have to look somewhere other than me, sorry :(

Jimbad
02-15-05, 10:24 PM
Thanks, Spyder, but it is not the clips that are the problem, it's the retainer that goes around the filter. I simply cannot figure out how to get the filter out of the plastic retainer. I just tried to slide it out and that was to no avail.
I surely hope that someone has a clue.
Jim

Spyder
02-16-05, 04:29 AM
ahh...I just did mine about six months ago...I know what piece you're talking about, but I don't remember what the hell I did...or if I even put it back when I replaced the filter...if I can remember to do it, I'll crawl under my car tomorrow and see if I can't figure it out...but I don't know that I can remember, cause I've got class from 8:00 am till 5:00 pm, then an hour drive home...we'll see...pm me tomorrow evening, or email me and remind me, and I'll get to it thursday morn, first thing, if you havn't figured it out by then.

Jimbad
02-16-05, 10:14 PM
Hi, Spyder,
I tried to email and PM you but for some reason I am blocked from so doing.
Since, after spending w-a-a-a-y too much time trying to figure out how to release the fuel-filter retainer on my '93 ETC (I never did see how it can be done), I cut the retainer with a box knife and removed the filter. Of course, this left me with a retainer with a split in it, so I drilled a little hole in each half of the now-split holder, close to the cut, and threaded a plastic tie through the holes. After putting the filter back in I pulled up on the tie to close the gap; as good as new. This is what I would recommend as the procedure. I wish that I had done it MUCH sooner!
By the by, there was a fair amount of crud that came out of the inlet side of the filter.
Thanks for your interest.