: CTS interior lights stay on?

Flash2004
06-30-13, 05:40 AM
2009 CTS V6 and I'm in New Zealand with limited tech support.

Interior lights (all) come on and stay on. They will switch off with the battery saver function after 10 minutes, but are on continuously when driving - more so at night.

The manual light switch (dimmer rotating knob) has no effect.

Manually pressing front and rear reading light on/off switches has no effect.

Tried disconnecting battery for more than 30 minutes no change.

I notice the car seems to have gotten itself 'out of sync'. Most times when I stop the message will come up "rotate stop control to off - even though I already did. I also notice the radio etc. stays on as usual with the ignition rotated to off, but even after I open the driver or passenger door. Its like it doesn't know whether the front doors are open or closed.

I can't any door switch or position sensor.

I have reset the programming to factory defaults, still have the problem.

Maybe someone could tell me where the front door position sensors are please?

Any other ideas?

Thanks, I'm driving 600 miles tomorrow, most will be in the dark, this is a real pain, cheers

Trapspeed
06-30-13, 03:16 PM
There's a module in the driver door that is more than likely gone bad. I just had mine replaced. Fixed it totally. Try to have that module diagnosed. I'll bet that's it.

spearfish25
07-01-13, 11:32 AM
For the interior lights, make sure you didn't turn the instrument dimmer switch all the way clockwise. There is a little click feeling and then all the interior lights stay on. Had me baffled for a while when I couldn't get the lights off.

Snotty Boom Body
07-01-13, 12:50 PM
Not sure what your problem might be but if you have to do a lot of driving at night till you get it fixed just take the bulbs out of the sockets for now

irnwkr
07-02-13, 09:28 AM
had a similar problem /99ETC radio wouldn't shut off had to pull fuse to keep from draining batt. one day when i replaced fuse the engine bumped over a tiny bit. caddy dealer said they replaced ignition relay and i haven't had that problem since

Flash2004
07-03-13, 07:02 PM
For the interior lights, make sure you didn't turn the instrument dimmer switch all the way clockwise. There is a little click feeling and then all the interior lights stay on. Had me baffled for a while when I couldn't get the lights off.

Thanks, I checked this, and definitely the dimmer function works. I can feel the extra resistance to click it over to "lights on" but it makes no difference to the four reading lights, they stay on! cheers,

----------

Not sure what your problem might be but if you have to do a lot of driving at night till you get it fixed just take the bulbs out of the sockets for now

My GMC pickup has a "dome override" button on the dash which immediately kills the interior lights, I wish the CTS had such a simple thing! Taking the bulbs out looks a mission. Thanks,

----------

had a similar problem /99ETC radio wouldn't shut off had to pull fuse to keep from draining batt. one day when i replaced fuse the engine bumped over a tiny bit. caddy dealer said they replaced ignition relay and i haven't had that problem since I think the next step might be to pull every fuse one at a time. I drove it yesterday in the daytime and no problem. the problem only appears when the low light switches the headlights on, so at least its related to the general lighting system? thanks,

----------

There's a module in the driver door that is more than likely gone bad. I just had mine replaced. Fixed it totally. Try to have that module diagnosed. I'll bet that's it. Yes, something I have noticed is that the car is not detecting the key fob is in the car. The system defaults to "warn if key fob is in the car" and used to sound the horn if you closed the driver's door with the fb inside. It doesn't do that any more. Usually if I pull up and switch off the ignition all the way to lock the radio and windows will stay live until I open the door, which kills everything. Sometimes now that doesn't happen, the radio keeps on even with the ignition off and the drivers door open.

Trapspeed
07-03-13, 07:55 PM
Change the remote battery and reevaluate. Get that out of the way but that radio issue I'm thinking ties into the module.