: Exhaust question

Trainman SRT-10
06-29-13, 06:42 PM
I'm thinking of upgrading my exhaust system. I have a 2012 CTS V Coupe, 6-speed manual. Has anyone done a dyno on what a catback system (that is quiet) will gain over the stock muffle? I have already made up my mind to go with ARH Headers and a catted x-pipe (along with a lower pulley to maintain boost)......I don't mind an aggressive sound under full throttle, but I like the quiet factory sound while crusing....if someone knows that there is little to gain over the factory muffler, please let me know. I like the sleeper aspect....like the GT500 (2014) I beat last night at the test and tune, he was shocked....he said your car is so quiet!

thegraham77
07-01-13, 02:48 AM
I have a full Stainless Works system (headers with no cats). Before this I had just cat back. I didn't get dyno numbers with just the cat back. At idle and WOT it is very loud, but cruising at 60 mph it's really no louder that when I had just cat back, (of course it's louder than factory). I added a CAI, 2.5 upper, ID850 injectors and new plugs. 557 rwhp, 563 torque.

Random84
07-01-13, 07:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIwuW1ovkW4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuJeSVSURnk

Sounds - ha - like Corsa's might a good choice for you: many people report stock-like idle and cruising sounds with great feedback on the throttle. You might pick up a few ponies in the process; but not much. Others have reported nice results with headers/Xpipe into OEM mufflers; but I expect that to be the loudest of the two versions.

The only thing that keeps me from saying "just get the Corsas" is the relatively high cost for a set of mufflers.

Bridgette2013
07-03-13, 09:28 PM
Corsa mufflers ARE expensive.

CavemanB52
07-04-13, 11:43 AM
I can't find the thread. But a vender on here Dyno'd about 40-50 Vs and stock A6 averaged about 450 hp at the wheels and stock M6 averaged about 490 hp at the wheels. So everything together is an increase of more than 100 hp at the crank to give 100hp to the wheels. I have the same set up plus a larger Hx. But I don't have a Dyno in my area to see actual #s.

----------

Thanks for the info Random. Hope to find a Dyno soon. BTW I have Kooks and Xpipe to factory.

----------

Sorry. Thanks to Thegraham77. Your set up is similar to mine.

rayjoedef
07-04-13, 02:03 PM
I'm thinking of upgrading my exhaust system. I have a 2012 CTS V Coupe, 6-speed manual. Has anyone done a dyno on what a catback system (that is quiet) will gain over the stock muffle? I have already made up my mind to go with ARH Headers and a catted x-pipe (along with a lower pulley to maintain boost)......I don't mind an aggressive sound under full throttle, but I like the quiet factory sound while crusing....if someone knows that there is little to gain over the factory muffler, please let me know. I like the sleeper aspect....like the GT500 (2014) I beat last night at the test and tune, he was shocked....he said your car is so quiet!

I have kooks, catted X, corsa sport.....When I first got the setup back, mind u 642 at wheels, it was loud, especially cold starts (she settles down significantly when warm). After awhile though, imo, it was the voice this setup needed. I've heard setups with headers to oem which are popular....but then I see them switch out the mufflers for something more aggressive. There is nothing like the sound coming out of my car when going flat at around 60 mph....competely visceral....imo

spearfish25
07-04-13, 02:15 PM
^where are you? I need to hear some of these variations in person.

rayjoedef
07-04-13, 03:51 PM
new york