: Dipped Wheels and a Tired Dude

Nimoch
06-29-13, 04:31 PM
Hey guys and gals,

I had the original wheels dipped (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlyB3FbYRRs) yesterday as the previous owner's girlfriend gave the wheels some unsightly rash. They looked so great afterwards that I realized I needed to do a proper wax. I had taken the V to an "Old Fashioned Hand Wash" in April to do a wax, but I wasn't overly impressed with their results. I've never done a true detergent/clay bar/car soap/polish/wax/buff before, but finally decided to try an entire process of waxing using TurtleWax's Black Box (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDewB4oI_s4) the previous owner gave me. Thanks to this site and YouTube I was able to get a good idea how to do it. A friend gave me an orbital buffer 7 years ago and it had just been sitting in storage. I went to WalMart around 8:30pm to pick up a clay bar and started at 9:30pm.

While the buffer helped a LOT, I was extra slow and probably put too much wax on, which took a long time to get off in the last stage. I finished around 2:30am and saved the headlight restore for the next day. I used TurtleWax's Headlight Restorer Kit (http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_7560003-P_x_x?cm_mmc=ACQ-_-Google-_-enhancedRM-_-7560003&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=7560003&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=&gclid=CNT0qd6IirgCFRJo7AodkHYA1g#utm_source=acq&utm_medium=google&utm_campaign=enhancedrm&utm_content=7560003) this morning and used the orbital buffer again to work in the compound. The passenger side light has faded from the inside, so I couldn't get to it.

Overall, for it being my first time to wax a car, it was nice to be out in the garage with just the car; no phones, no music, no kids/wife. Just the sound of the clay bar, buffer, and cloth towels working their magic on the car. I don't think it had been taken care of the way these cars should be, but now that I own it, I can learn from everyone here and do my best. Swirl marks are gone, the panels look like glass, and I even noticed a small dent that I didn't see before due to the condition of the wax/clearcoat. Due to the fact it took my noob ass six hours to knock this out, I hope I only have to do this twice a year. :)

I should have taken before pics of the wheel curb rash and swirls but you guys with black V's have seen them all too often before. I'm also interested in how to fix the crack on the lower lip of the front bumper. :)

121393 Attack of the non iPhone-user thumb!

121401 For the low price of the headlight restorer, my wife and I were pleased. We honestly thought it wouldn't work.

Nimoch
06-29-13, 04:33 PM

Nimoch
06-29-13, 04:39 PM

TimmyC
06-29-13, 05:25 PM
Looks great! I've done a version of that process before but I don't have the patience to do it twice a year.

Nimoch
06-29-13, 06:34 PM
Thanks Tim! BTW I still plan to get the CAI and tune. Took the cover off and washed off 7 years of grease etc.

kjburto
06-29-13, 07:21 PM
Looks great plasti dip is amazing stuff I blacked out most my chrome and wheels as well and I love the look.

Guy.Seminerio
06-29-13, 07:38 PM
Nice post. I was taking some pics of my coupe Deville a couple of weeks ago up in ny right after I washed it and it was the following week when I was back in nc when I was looking over them and noticed my thumb in about 80% of them. Also, a few months ago I washed, dried, clay bar, and waxed my v in my garage. I had my Bose portable speaker playing my iPod. Don't have one of those buffers so it was all elbow grease. Started after work on a Friday. About 7. Got done at around 2. So you didn't do too bad. I would say wax twice a year. Once in the fall to protect from salt and other bs in the winter and once in the spring to protect from the summer sun. I think one of those 2 times you should clay bar.

Nimoch
06-29-13, 10:38 PM
I like! Agreed; very impressed with the plastidip. Very sharp with the blacked out grills; I've seen some where they black out the wreath as well but I like yours with it undipped.

----------

Nice post. I was taking some pics of my coupe Deville a couple of weeks ago up in ny right after I washed it and it was the following week when I was back in nc when I was looking over them and noticed my thumb in about 80% of them. Also, a few months ago I washed, dried, clay bar, and waxed my v in my garage. I had my Bose portable speaker playing my iPod. Don't have one of those buffers so it was all elbow grease. Started after work on a Friday. About 7. Got done at around 2. So you didn't do too bad. I would say wax twice a year. Once in the fall to protect from salt and other bs in the winter and once in the spring to protect from the summer sun. I think one of those 2 times you should clay bar.

Tnanks Guy! :D I agree Guy; we don't have salt issues here in TX but we have at least 40 days a year of 50+ mph winds with plenty of dirt. Good ol' Dust Bowl.

Do you use the Quick Shine products after a wash every time? I think I'll clay bar once a year in May after it stops snowing.

kjburto
06-29-13, 11:56 PM
I like! Agreed; very impressed with the plastidip. Very sharp with the blacked out grills; I've seen some where they black out the wreath as well but I like yours with it undipped.

----------

Tnanks Guy! :D I agree Guy; we don't have salt issues here in TX but we have at least 40 days a year of 50+ mph winds with plenty of dirt. Good ol' Dust Bowl.

Do you use the Quick Shine products after a wash every time? I think I'll clay bar once a year in May after it stops snowing.

Thats whats cool about plasti dip you can try whatever you want and just peel it off if you dont like it. I tried leaving the mesh just chrome and the boarder and wreath black it looked okay. It also protects the paint underneath from rocks and such.

Guy.Seminerio
06-30-13, 01:14 AM
I've actually never used that spray wax stuff ever. But not because I think it's bad or anything. Just never done it. By the way, the stock rims. Should they be waxed just like the paint is?

torched10
06-30-13, 09:41 AM
it looks great--- after ive done hat, Ive put on Liquid Glass to preserve the look---- someone on the forum had pointed it out---its easy to put on, and if you put on several coats, its looks fantastic and lasts a long time

Guy.Seminerio
06-30-13, 01:11 PM
I'm gonna get on that.

Nimoch
06-30-13, 04:13 PM
Liquid Glass you say? After the PlastiDip cures I'm gonna do the same. Thanks for the Pro Tip torched!

Guy.Seminerio
06-30-13, 05:08 PM
How about those stock rims? how should they be maintained? Treated as the paint on the car?

Nimoch
06-30-13, 08:47 PM
The guy who dipped my wheels said to let them cure for about a week before I apply a brush or high pressure water to 'em. He said that brake dust cleaner will not damage them either. He said he uses regular car wash soap and a cotton towel on his. He's had his done for half a year and they look just fine. Of course he may touch them up since he does it for a side job. A friend came over today and said "the pics don't do it justice - those rims are sick!" Here's hoping he and Torch are correct that they'll last. If they don't I can do touch ups if needed.

Guy.Seminerio
06-30-13, 10:09 PM
that's cool. What I actually meant was the stock rims without the plasti dip. How are those meant to be maintained.

Dave G
06-30-13, 10:53 PM
It's just paint. Soap, water, soft cloth, wax as needed.

Guy.Seminerio
06-30-13, 11:16 PM
ok the wax was what I was unsure about. Thanks. Clay bar?? or no? Thanks again.

Dave G
07-01-13, 08:00 AM
Claybar won't hurt anything but your back. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Nimoch
07-01-13, 09:56 AM
Agreed; I can't imagine having to clay bar those unless the car was on a lift, lol. Headed to the store to buy some Liquid Glass today to protect and shine the dipped wheels.

Guy.Seminerio
07-01-13, 10:16 AM
Thanks guys.

bobs-sts-v
07-01-13, 11:24 AM
I have 2 sets of rims (chromed for summer, stock for winter). I wash and wax them every time I swap them. They make wheel wax, which is supposed to stand up better than regular wax, but I never noticed any significant difference. Wash, remove all tar traces, wash, and 2 coats of Mothers Carnuba Wax. 8 years old and both sets still look new on the outside. Don't forget to do the back side of the rims as well (when the wheels are off the car).
Bob

torched10
07-03-13, 10:53 AM
heres another idea 3M just released a new product called 3M Defender--- its available at Autozone-- its a spray on product that is meant to protect the paint against bugs, rock chips--essentially replaces their clear strips at a fraction of the cost.Dont know if it woud work on a vertical surface like a wheel, but i guess you coud take the wheel off and spray it on. I have it on my GT500 hood and it looks great--wanted to try it out for a few months before puting it on other cars i own.And it peels off if you dont like it bob

pwrsix
07-03-13, 07:58 PM
heres another idea 3M just released a new product called 3M Defender--- its available at Autozone-- its a spray on product that is meant to protect the paint against bugs, rock chips--essentially replaces their clear strips at a fraction of the cost.Dont know if it woud work on a vertical surface like a wheel, but i guess you coud take the wheel off and spray it on. I have it on my GT500 hood and it looks great--wanted to try it out for a few months before puting it on other cars i own.And it peels off if you dont like it bob

I read about that 3M stuff in another section on this forum. I wanted to try it on my rear bumper to protect it from getting scratched when I take things in and out of the trunk. Do you think it will work for that?

AriGold.
07-03-13, 11:15 PM
Looks good...

Nimoch
07-04-13, 01:17 PM
Looks good... Thanks Ari! You've got a damn slick ride.