: STS Rear Diff Bushing

scotty2109
06-29-13, 03:59 PM
I would like to thank everyone here.
I got enough information to tackle the problem myself.

2005 STS 4.6L RWD

so the Cadillac dealer wanted $1350 to install a new rear differential bushing in my car. part cost $90, so the dealer was walking away with 1260 in labor. I said like no way dude.
so with a little research and the help of a company creative steel, I did it myself. bushing, and press tool from creative steel including shipping $200. unfortunately I had to buy a jack, jack stands and torque wrench.

grand total $400 and 3 hours of my time crawling under the car. would have been a lot quicker with a 21mm ratchet wrench, but crappy tire didn't have one.

savings $950

thank you creative steel for building a press tool that allows this to be done without having to put the car up on a ramp, or fully remove the differential

I forgot to mention, I took the car to 4 other shops, 3 of them turned me down, said it was too big of a job.....like WTF I am going to give you money and you say no???????
the forth shop said $650 so I took a day off work and dropped the car off, come 3:00 I get a phone call saying that they can't do it today, I would have to come back again some other time

EChas3
06-29-13, 05:07 PM
Good show!

What were your symptoms? Who diagnosed it & how?

scotty2109
06-29-13, 06:15 PM
the car in traffic was shifting odd, like I the car was being hit every time it shifted at low speed.
then one day when I was parking, I put the car in reverse to back into my spot, had the window open and I heard a weird metal on metal noise. at that point I stopped and put the car in drive, then reverse a couple times. car kept making the same thump and metal on metal noise.

took the car to the dealer for them to hear the noise and the guy said immediately that the rear diff bushing was gone.

I left the car with them, they inspected everything and came back with bad bushing and the $1350 price tag. I was just after spending $4000 on the rear air suspension and could not afford another $1350 in repairs. plus they quoted me $995 in labor for the suspension repair for 8 hours. they gave me the car back in under 4 hours and still made me pay for 8 hours.

ezed1
07-01-13, 07:43 PM
lol stealer at it as usual,:yup: I did the same repair last year this time, was a pain in the ass!! but I got it done saving a me some money as well, but I wouldn't do it again, if I had to do it on my back again!!!!!

----------

lol stealer at it as usual,:yup: I did the same repair last year this time, was a pain in the ass!! but I got it done saving a me some money as well, but I wouldn't do it again, if I had to do it on my back !!!!!this would be the way to go if I ever do it again accept for the cutting out part, I would use the press http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvj3HJ9rMdc

EChas3
07-02-13, 02:08 AM
Some peoples kids!

Charles Warren
07-03-13, 08:43 AM
hold up what diff bushing did they quote lol its only 30 bucks mil discount but thats only 10 percent. and smh at letting customers know the hourly time to complete a job and then still charging them full 8 hours

----------

and i went with red poly bushing from revtech, and did engine mounts, ran with blue polys from revtech far as engine mounts