: 2008 CTS spare Tire issues

Peter18423
06-29-13, 02:12 PM
I purchased a 2008 CTS from the dealer brand new, yet I never reliazed the car did not come with a spare tire until my wife got stranded on the side of the freeway. Since there was no spare we had to have the car towed. Pump doesn't work with a 1" slash in the side wall. (BAD Idea Cadillac, Is the cost of can of filler and the pump really cheaper than providing an actual spare)? So now I need to purcahase a compact spare for this vehicle and have seen one on E-bay that fits a 02 thru 07, does anybody know if that same spare will fit a 2008 CTS. I guess I'll also need the jack. Oh by the way Cadillac most women wouldn't know how to use the pump and filler kit anyway.

Thanks for any words of wisdom I can get , I really don't need my wife stranded again on the side of the hiway.

talismandave
06-29-13, 04:08 PM
They figured lack of spare would increase OnStar subscriptions.

Peter18423
06-29-13, 04:27 PM
But a continuied lack of a spare will decrease sales of Cadillacs for sure.

Hoosier Daddy
06-29-13, 04:59 PM
But a continuied lack of a spare will decrease sales of Cadillacs for sure.
Spare tires are going the way of vent windows. Fix-a-flat and run flat tires save a lot of weight by eliminateing a heavy spare tire. That weight reduction improves gas mileage which is a huge priority now. Plus it improves braking, acceleration and handling which matters to some although probably not most Cadillac buyers. Mileage might also not be that important to those buyers but manufacturers are under pressure from govt imposed standards.

As for decreasing sales, unfortunately many buyers don't even know about it know until after they buy their first car without a spare.

Customers adding their own spares after the fact is not as bad a solution as it seems because that spare doesn't impact the official mileage of the car. Many people never have a sidewall failure in their life so the lack of a spare isn't likley to be a problem for them. Your wife was one of the unlucky ones.

Some manufacturers sell a kit that contains a spare and jack (and mounting hardware if possible) so owners don't have to track down all the parts.

Kingoftypos
06-29-13, 05:23 PM
But to answer your question about the 03 to 07 CTS's spare tire. It won't fit because the first gen CTS has a 5 by 115 lug pattern while the second gen has 5 by 120 lug pattern.

KOT

ben.gators
06-29-13, 07:30 PM
The lack of spare tire is now a very hot topic of dispute in this forums. Some says they don't care and they understand why Cadillac dropped it, and some takes it as an insult and slap on face by Cadillac, that why their 50k car doesn't have a $100 spare! I am with the first group!

If you like to buy a spare tire, buy a new one, or if you want to buy used, buy a fairly new one. Here by new I refer to the age of the tire. You can find the manufacture date of a tire from DOT codes. The age is the last 4 digit of string of codes started by keyword DOT. For example, my last 4 digit is 0413. It means the fourth ("04") week of year 2013 "13". Do not buy old spare tires because rubber NATURALLY deteriorates with time.
Cadillac Sevilles come with spare tires. Couple of members here had a flat tire, and they mounted their spare tire that was 10 years old. Needless to say, they had another flat tire just a few miles down the road.

EChas3
06-29-13, 10:24 PM
I'm not a fan of run-flats. They are heavier and unsprung weight affects handling. The sidewalls are also optimized for ends other than handling, wear or ride.

Fix-a-flat is a pain to clean and most tire shops charge to clean wheels on which it's been used.

talismandave
06-30-13, 01:29 AM
Run flats suck! great idea, have not seen a good execution.

Spare in my older hobby/collector car? A must!
In my daily driver? Pass....

That is what I have road service coverage and a cell phone. Actually two cell phones by different carriers.

Peter18423
06-30-13, 01:11 PM
Many people never have a sidewall failure in their life so the lack of a spare isn't likley to be a problem for them. Your wife was one of the unlucky ones.

Some manufacturers sell a kit that contains a spare and jack (and mounting hardware if possible) so owners don't have to track down all the parts.[/QUOTE]

Yet even if you have a slow leak while driving on a freeway by the time you can pull over and find a save place to stop too work on your flat, the tire will be ruined and fix a flat and the pump will be useless. I still think that Cadillac has slapped the American consumer in the face by not providing a spare (and I do understand the fuel and handling issue) but let that be the consumers choose. But it becomes an even bigger slap in the face because it seems the salesperson never wants to disclose this critical info to the prosective buyer. If while during the purchase of the car I had been informed that the car had no spare and that I could purchase a kit, then while negotiating the purchasing the car I would have at least had the option of adding a spare to the purchase.

Hoosier Daddy
06-30-13, 01:40 PM
Many people never have a sidewall failure in their life so the lack of a spare isn't likley to be a problem for them. Your wife was one of the unlucky ones.

Some manufacturers sell a kit that contains a spare and jack (and mounting hardware if possible) so owners don't have to track down all the parts.

Yet even if you have a slow leak while driving on a freeway by the time you can pull over and find a save place to stop too work on your flat, the tire will be ruined and fix a flat and the pump will be useless. I still think that Cadillac has slapped the American consumer in the face by not providing a spare (and I do understand the fuel and handling issue) but let that be the consumers choose. But it becomes an even bigger slap in the face because it seems the salesperson never wants to disclose this critical info to the prosective buyer. If while during the purchase of the car I had been informed that the car had no spare and that I could purchase a kit, then while negotiating the purchasing the car I would have at least had the option of adding a spare to the purchase.
I agree that lots of sales people don't do a good job explaining things and curiously more so the things that buyers might not like hearing.

Tire pressure monitoring is a must for cars that rely on stop-leak and a pump for flat tires AND for cars with run flat tires to keep owners from driving on oblivious to a puncture. The system needs to give enough warning of slow leaks to let the driver take action before the tire is destroyed.

I hope your car has a good place to stash the spare you buy and a convenient way to secure a jack and wrench.

thebigjimsho
06-30-13, 07:04 PM
TPMS + tire repair kit + portable compressor + modern tires = almost zero issue for me.

MoistCabbage
06-30-13, 07:49 PM
Last time I got a flat, a 1.5" steel pipe went through the sidewall. Fix-A-Flat was not an option :nono: .

thebigjimsho
06-30-13, 09:36 PM
Last time I got a flat, a 1.5" steel pipe went through the sidewall. Fix-A-Flat was not an option :nono: .

1.5 million miles and I've never had that happen.

cadillac kevin
06-30-13, 10:24 PM
Last flat I had was four roofing nails in the tire. Glad that I had a floor jack and a full size spare

HAZZARDJOHN
07-01-13, 12:34 AM
http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/military-vehicle-equipped-with-polaris-non-pneumatic-tire_100421665_m.jpg

^ I work at Polaris and we developed these for our military units (we bought a company who was working on it). They will operate safely with 40% of the tire damaged. I know people are and have been developing these for cars. We'll see what the future brings.

talismandave
07-01-13, 08:38 AM
1.5 million miles and I've never had that happen.

:histeric: Hard to beat that testimonial!

Last flat I had was four roofing nails in the tire. Glad that I had a floor jack and a full size spare

Who's wife, and was she worth it?

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/military-vehicle-equipped-with-polaris-non-pneumatic-tire_100421665_m.jpg

^ I work at Polaris and we developed these for our military units (we bought a company who was working on it). They will operate safely with 40% of the tire damaged. I know people are and have been developing these for cars. We'll see what the future brings.

I have seen those style for cars on several car shows, (in development) look interesting, but would end customizing with wheels! Might be a deal killer on looks alone.
BTW, still enjoying the new/year-old job?

HAZZARDJOHN
07-01-13, 11:17 AM
:histeric: Hard to beat that testimonial!

Who's wife, and was she worth it?

I have seen those style for cars on several car shows, (in development) look interesting, but would end customizing with wheels! Might be a deal killer on looks alone.
BTW, still enjoying the new/year-old job?

I know they are working on lower profile ones as the low pro tires do not have or need the cushion that these ATV's need. I have also seen them with sidewalls and you would never know they are not a normal tire. My guess is that is a possibility for the future. As far as customization, that wheel in the center is just a normal polaris wheel.

As far as my Job, I love it! best job in the world! Everyday I get to play with new toys. What amazes me is the things they develop that never hit the market. Always innovating here, and trying new things. Some are huge hits, some never make it off the drawing board. They scrap a ton of vehicles here that never are produced, just trying something new to see if it would sell.

~HJ

CadillacLuke24
07-01-13, 06:49 PM
I had my factory tires shred the sidewall on the left front. I also had a nail right on the sidewall border on the left rear. Spare please.

One of these days I might mod my trunk to hold a full size. That donut is more a PITA than anything. You have to drive slow, and if the flat's on a drive axle, you have to move tires.

Peter18423
07-27-13, 04:03 PM
I think that the future for the use of these tires will be slow in coming just as the engine that can get 40+ miles to the gal. was. They had those engines back in the 70's but the car manufacturers and oil compies didn't want to the american people using them so they put them on the back shelve. and now that they are political correct they are finally starting to develope them for use.

Ranger
07-27-13, 11:03 PM
I wouldn't put Fix-A-Flat in my tires if it was given to me for free.

Peter18423
08-04-13, 03:10 PM
Well I'd use it in my wheelbarrow but not in my CTS or my pickup truck. But I do want to thank Cadillac for the air compressor, I now have found a new use for it blowing up my grandkids inflatable toys for the pool. Maybe I can use the fix a flat on them toys too so they will sink. Give the kids something to dive for in the pool.

But on a serious note if anybody could tell me the part number for the spare tire kit I'd like to order it so I can have peace of mind while driving and while my wife is driving, I really don't want to have the car towed again to a tire shop. Cause with my luck it will be after 5:00PM or on a Sunday and all the tire shops and dealer repair shops will be closed so we'll be stranded.

Aron9000
08-05-13, 05:34 AM
I've had three flats in my lifetime. First one I had parked my car at the store, came out, noticed the tire low. Put some air in it, drove it to the tire shop, got a plug. 2nd time I noticed I had a nail in it, it was holding pressure just fine. Drove it work and back, next day I had a plug put in.

3rd time I was in my 91 Brougham. Where I park is on a kind of uneven, slightly sloped driveway. Flat was on the pass side front, I didn't notice the tire being flat. Hopped in, pulled out onto the road, was like HOLY CRAP I HAVE A FLAT TIRE!!!!!!!!! Pulled right over to the curb opposite from my driveway, tire had come off the bead, it looked ugly. Luckily it didn't damage the OEM wire wheel. Went to my shed, got my floor jack, put on that donut spare. Drove it a mile down the road, put some air in it, and got on my way to work. Drove it about 30 miles on the donut before I got the car to my tire guy. Donut served its purpose, even being 20 years old.

EDIT: I guess my point is that a spare tire is NICE to have, even if you never use it. I can't imagine being stuck in some one horse town with a shredded tire on your new CTS-V with no spare. I'm talking about some god forsaken place like Ely Nevada. The one mechanic isn't going to have a 275/30/R20 size tire for your car. There isn't a 275/30/R20 sized tire within 300 miles of your location. Seriously you are stuck for a day or two while somebody drives in your weird/crazy sized tire from Las Vegas or Reno. Now go back 20 or 30 years, I'm betting that mechanic back then(and still does) have the correct 235/75/R15 sized tire for my old Cadillac(that tire fits about any old full size pickup, van or SUV as well)

thebigjimsho
08-06-13, 12:44 PM
In that scenario, I have driven cross country with a spare tire...unmounted. It doesn't take up much space and if the extreme happens, you can still get going in a reasonable amount of time.

You can still give me what-ifs. But its only a way of thinking. Do people panick before a long trip and store a plethora of parts and tools in the trunk? Granted, some may. But this thought of DOOM ON YOU for daring to leave without one and life will end is very silly...

talismandave
08-07-13, 12:06 AM
Agreed!

Cell phone + road service coverage = :thumbsup:

eagle-co94
08-07-13, 12:02 PM
I'm sorry, but are you honestly saying that you NEVER checked the tire pressure in your (non-existent) spare tire in 5 years? Since you obviously never looked under the floor, a spare tire would have also been worthless to you as well as it would have been flat or at the very least so low on air that it would have been unsafe to drive on.

My insurance company offers roadside assistance for about $40 a year. I still make sure every vehicle I own has a good spare with air in it...although the SRT8 doesn't have a spare and my wife's old MINI Cooper S didn't have a spare. That's why we got the roadside assistance plan.

The first thing I bought for my CTS-V was a spare wheel (and then a tire). The first thing I do when picking up a car besides fluid and filter changes, is making sure I have a full-size spare (or donut if that's the only thing that will fit in the trunk)

ProjectTSI96
10-28-13, 08:42 PM
Anyone know what other cadillac models/years will have the same size spare tire kit?

R/T kota
10-28-13, 09:30 PM
Note to self....check trunk for spare tire.