: Where can i find a supercharger

cadi_on_dubs
02-14-05, 08:55 PM
Where can i find a super charger for a 2004 cadillac sts 4.6L n*.

danbuc
02-14-05, 09:06 PM
You can't. The only company ever to develop one (XMS), was only ably to program a removable EEPROM chip for the OBDI cars (1995 and older). They were never able to reprogram the OBDII PCM (1996 and newer), so it won't work properly. The only way I coudl see it working, would be if you could piggy back a custom computer, off the stock one, just to use as an engine management system. No body makes one for the Northstar, so you would essentially have to program it yourself. If your looking for faster acceleration, I would suggest a High Stall Torque Converter, and the Corsa exhaust. Those are the only mods, proven to substantially increase performance. There are other things, such as a ported throttle body, K&N filter, but it has been determined by most, that the gains are not nearly worth the cost.

Here are some websites where you can find such products.

http://www.corsaperf.com/autohome.htm

http://www.domesticperformance.com/

http://www.converter.cc/home.htm

http://www.rsmracing.com/

Those are just a few of the sites I have foudn that sell parts for the Northstar. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

eldorado1
02-14-05, 10:52 PM
I would suggest a High Stall Torque Converter, and the Corsa exhaust. Those are the only mods, proven to substantially increase performance.

Got the links handy for the performance increases from a TC upgrade? My desktop dyno says that going from a 1800 (stock.. I think) to 3000 is worth 0.041 seconds in the 1/4. Don't get me wrong, it'll feel way better off the line (you might even break the tires loose), but I haven't heard any solid numbers from anyone.....

danbuc
02-15-05, 12:21 PM
Well, when I called Yank, they suggested goignn with anything between 3200-3500rpm stall speed.The torque converter is definitely worth more than 0.041 seconds. Personally, I don't trust computerized dyno software, simply because there is no way it will ever be as accureate as actually driving down the track. If your looking for some real numbers, call Yank.

Mark99STS over on the caddyinfo.com form is getting ready to install a 3200rpm stall speed torque converter. He also has the Corsa exhaust, but is working on getting the exhaust ports on his cylinder heads ported. He should have it done in about a month or two, and he's gonna let me know how it works out.

davesdeville
02-15-05, 09:19 PM
Yank is going to tell you it works great obviously because they MAKE MONEY from selling it to you. Someone who drops a bunch of cash on something will usually tell you it works because they don't want to look like an idiot who wasted their money. I'm not saying it doesn't help times but I'd want some real proof before I'd buy one.

danbuc
02-15-05, 09:29 PM
Just Ask Bbob. That's the number one modification he suggests, for improving acceleration. The higher the stall speed, the more torque the engine can develop, before the car will launch.

Mark99STS over on the other forum, ran a 14.1 in the 1/4 using a 2800rpm Stall Speed converter, the Corsa exhaust, and some Mickey Thompson Slicks up front. There was no way, that car was going to run a 14.1 without that torque converter installed. Even with just the slicks, and exhaust, the quickest speed would probably still only be around 14.5 seconds. I'd say that's some pretty good proof.

eldorado1
02-16-05, 01:07 PM
Even with just the slicks, and exhaust, the quickest speed would probably still only be around 14.5 seconds.

"probably". Is there anyone out there that has times of before and after a converter swap? I.e. nothing else done?

an01sts
02-17-05, 10:23 PM
Danbuk has a legitimate point. Not saying that whomever has vested interest in selling its parts, but the point is how stall converters work. The car launches at a higher rpm. Stock converters launch at idle. Stalls, depending on their speed, "stall" the launch, allowing the engine to rev up. The same as reving it up and dumping the clutch. Hell, a 3500 stall would give a constipated rice burner more than .041 of a second.

Personally, I never have liked stall converters, even slow speed stalls because they destroy the car's driveability. The higher the stall speed, the less light throttle performance. 3,500 is incredibally agressive, and are suitible only for hard core drag racers. Anything less than hard-core, full-blown drag racing, the car will be a real pos at anything less than wot. If you have never driven a car with a stall converter, you might want to drive one to make sure that a stall converter is an "upgrade" that would be best for you.

There is nothing wrong with stalls. The point is that they aren't for everyone.

Aurora40
02-18-05, 12:31 PM
Where can i find a super charger for a 2004 cadillac sts 4.6L n*.

What car is it you own? In 2004, the only FWD Seville was the SLS. The new STS was sold as a MY 2005 car. I don't believe there is any 2004 STS. Is your car FWD or RWD? If it is RWD, the STS-V will have a supercharger, along with other performance upgrades. It may be the best way to go for performance and reliability/fewer headaches. :)

danbuc
02-18-05, 12:56 PM
The STS was still available in 2004 only in Canada. When I spoke to Yank, they said that that have sold many torque converters to STS owners. They also said that, while you will loose a few mpg driving around town, the drivability of the car does not suffer as much as you would think. I'll ask MARK99STS over on caddyinfo, to see what he says about the 2800rpm stall speed converter he had. Since the stock torque converter is not locked up all the time anyway, I don't think the difference would be too great. I'll see what he has to say about his car, and how drivable it was.

danbuc
02-22-05, 03:45 AM
Currently, mark99STS' car is sort of in pieces, while in the process of installing the new parts. He did say that with even with the 2800rom Stall converter installed, there was virtually no noticable difference in the way the car drove, other than acceleration being faster. I asked him specifically about increased fuel consumption, or more power being needed for slower acceleration. He said he did not notice any of this, so I guess I'll have to wait and see what he says about the 3500rpm stall converter he is getting from Yank.