: Any recommendations for a good wheel cleaner?

Psu12kc
06-29-13, 06:58 AM
I have the 18" machined finish wheels...any products you guys prefer? Anything to avoid?

Any other products you might recommend for keeping your ats looking good would be appreciated too!

rspitler
06-29-13, 08:47 AM
I use Surf City products for everything. Glass, leather, wheels. Great products

Groomie
06-29-13, 10:12 AM
I use a microfiber to clean the wheels to a shine then use meguires ultimate wax. Let it dry for a couple
minutes and it easily wips off. Result is shine shine and more shine. Get compliments all the time not
only for the car but also how great the wheels look and their finish.
By any means do not use any wheel cleaner.

flycaster
06-29-13, 11:06 AM
I don't use wax as I feel it doesn't off anything in the way of protection. Waxes are made of volitle substances and quickly evaporates in any kind of heat. Although, if you are showing a car and don't care about protection, waxes are great for that very deep shine.

I have been using Zaino products (purchased from the net) for the last 11 years. Zaino car top products are essentially sealants and polishes that bond to the car's paint. No problem here as Zaino has been a choice product among BMW and Corvette folk. Here in SoFL. I have found that Zaino will best protect my car from bird sh-t and such. Also, I only do my car maybe once or twice a year (strip Zaino and apply a new) and the car always beads water and sheds much of the bird/tree fallout with ease for at least 6-9 months (my cars are garaged).

[Twitch]
06-29-13, 06:17 PM
I used P21S Wheel Cleaner (non acidic) and it works great. There is also P21S Wheel Cleaner GEL which is even more powerful and it clings to the wheel. I have both types, the GEL is for when my wheels are very dirty.

http://www.p21s.com/products/bis_wc1.html

M5eater
06-29-13, 06:27 PM
www.autogeek.net is a good source for a large variety of products.

Generally I would avoid anything heavy duty, and I would use an agitating brush as opposed to something that's supposed to be applied and then washed off, which typically means an acidic cleaner.

right now I'm using griots Wheel cleaner, which is just the generic 'green' non-acidic cleanr that's rebranded to a lot of brands- I picked it up for cheap in gallon form. Which is the second thing I'll bring up.

50% of products out there are chemically 95% identical.

There are such a large variety of brands out there I would concentrate on overall substance rather than specificly which brand is 5% safer or makes a 10% cleaner wheel.

When you're agitating with a brush (which you should be) OTS Eagle F1 will get you a very clean rim for < $5.

which btw, is what I use on the trashed rims for the Audi.

I also use a daytona brush for the barrels and a natural fiber detail brush for the lug nut bores and the caliper if necessary.

as far as protection, pickup the armor all wheel protectant. It works exactly as it's marketed, and it's mostly invisible.

sopipari
06-30-13, 08:42 AM
Personally I do not use special products for the wheels. I have a microfiber wash mitt for just the wheels and use only my wash bucket with P21s body wash in it. Cleans them right up to a shine, nothing harsh. The brake dust doesn't seem to stick to these wheels like I've seen on my old VAG cars.

M5eater
06-30-13, 09:25 AM
Personally I do not use special products for the wheels. I have a microfiber wash mitt for just the wheels and use only my wash bucket with P21s body wash in it. Cleans them right up to a shine, nothing harsh. The brake dust doesn't seem to stick to these wheels like I've seen on my old VAG cars.
I've started to use something like that, it's a $3 tiny MF washer with a bug scrapper on the other side.

As long as your using something, you're going to get a clean rim.

wear gloves also.

KXAM
06-30-13, 02:26 PM
I have been using REJEX for years and years. Love it on wheels, especially those that get a lot of brake dust. Fortunately the ATS does not develop a lot of dust, no where near what a Mercedes does. Yesterday I clay barred the ATS and then applied the first of two coats of Rejex. That paint [Crystal Red] really pops now. Did the machined 18" wheels also. As we rarely get any rain here [SoCal] that car should keep its luster for at least six months. Many like Zaino but I prefer Rejex. GF says I should take the car back to the dealer and show them what a few $$ in clay bar and sealer can do vs. their, what was it they wanted, $1200 to seal the paint! Major joke that is...I will do every car they bring me for $300 or less!!

thebigjimsho
07-02-13, 12:16 PM
www.autogeek.net is a good source for a large variety of products.

Generally I would avoid anything heavy duty, and I would use an agitating brush as opposed to something that's supposed to be applied and then washed off, which typically means an acidic cleaner.

right now I'm using griots Wheel cleaner, which is just the generic 'green' non-acidic cleanr that's rebranded to a lot of brands- I picked it up for cheap in gallon form. Which is the second thing I'll bring up.

50% of products out there are chemically 95% identical.

There are such a large variety of brands out there I would concentrate on overall substance rather than specificly which brand is 5% safer or makes a 10% cleaner wheel.

When you're agitating with a brush (which you should be) OTS Eagle F1 will get you a very clean rim for < $5.

which btw, is what I use on the trashed rims for the Audi.

I also use a daytona brush for the barrels and a natural fiber detail brush for the lug nut bores and the caliper if necessary.

as far as protection, pickup the armor all wheel protectant. It works exactly as it's marketed, and it's mostly invisible.

This.