: Someone Broke into my 04 ext. How did they do it???

reddzspace22
06-29-13, 12:29 AM
Just this past wednesday 6/26/13 my escalade ext was broken into while i was at
the mall. They did not break any windows nor did they break the door handles!so i would like to know just how they got in?? i did lock and set the factory alarm when i park it. 20 mins later i came out of the store notice some wires on the floor next to
my driver door looked inside my ext and seen that my nav unit had been stolen
along with my iPod they broke the dash bezel/trim piece to pull radio out and
scuffed my center consule lid up pretty bad. just trying to get some info if this has
happen to anyone else and if so what did you find as to how they got in without
breaking a window or setting alarm off???? thanks for reading.

the cadillac man
06-29-13, 01:30 AM
Just this past wednesday 6/26/13 my escalade ext was broken into while i was at
the mall. They did not break any windows nor did they break the door handles!so i would like to know just how they got in?? i did lock and set the factory alarm when i park it. 20 mins later i came out of the store notice some wires on the floor next to
my driver door looked inside my ext and seen that my nav unit had been stolen
along with my iPod they broke the dash bezel/trim piece to pull radio out and
scuffed my center consule lid up pretty bad. just trying to get some info if this has
happen to anyone else and if so what did you find as to how they got in without
breaking a window or setting alarm off???? thanks for reading.

Has the door handle been damaged?

If yes then they used a screwdriver to punch out the door lock to gain access to the lock plunger to unlock the truck

Sucks that they stole your radio and damaged your truck it was low that they stole your iPod along with the radio

There was another member had this happen when I was helping him install a media gateway via email

I worry about this happening to me sometime

reddzspace22
06-29-13, 01:41 AM
All door handles and lock cylinders are intact and ok no damage at all. really confused on to how they got in? Without breaking a window or door handle or setting off alarm.

Jophusp
06-29-13, 10:17 AM
Chances are they used some kind of wedge to pry the top part of your door open, just wide enough to send a long "tool" down to your power lock button, and gained access that way. I have done this before when I was locked out of my avalanche in no mans land. The alarm did not go off, and you can get in, in less then a minute, especially if you know what your doing.

reddzspace22
06-30-13, 12:03 AM
Thanks on the reply that makes more sense on how they might off gotten in I have seen those kits they sell

Silent_Assasin
07-03-13, 07:32 PM
its called a slim jim! lol...works like a charm! only reason I know is because we own a couple car lots and use one all the time! ....

rfishoutofwater
07-03-13, 08:22 PM
Slim jims are easy to make too. Metal straping and a couple notches and bam slim jim. Made a few when i worked in a lumber yard. The dang drivers were always locking there keys in the trucks and this is how we got in them all the time.

the cadillac man
07-03-13, 09:16 PM
Slim jims are easy to make too. Metal straping and a couple notches and bam slim jim. Made a few when i worked in a lumber yard. The dang drivers we always locking there keys in the trucks and this is how we got in them all the time.

My uncle had to use one because he locked his keys in his car one time he made one in no time

Logandiagnostic
07-04-13, 12:07 AM
ABC News had a story about an unknown device bad guys are using to electronically access locked vehicles.

Part of the story mentions it not working on a older Cadillac...

I cannot get the video to work right now..but I am in a remote location tonight. Maybe you will have better luck.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/car-thieves-tech-gadgets-baffle-police-18891078

the cadillac man
07-04-13, 12:48 AM
ABC News had a story about an unknown device bad guys are using to electronically access locked vehicles.

Part of the story mentions it not working on a older Cadillac...

I cannot get the video to work right now..but I am in a remote location tonight. Maybe you will have better luck.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/car-thieves-tech-gadgets-baffle-police-18891078

I don't think that trick will work on our trucks as the remote has a rolling code (my uncle told me) but I would still be cautious

Logandiagnostic
07-04-13, 09:03 AM
I would think rolling codes would be pretty much a industry standard for the last 15 years. Certainly not just GM products.

Also, the ABC story is based only about a 100 miles from where the original poster is..

wesyder
07-04-13, 12:19 PM
I don't think that trick will work on our trucks as the remote has a rolling code (my uncle told me) but I would still be cautious

Oh it works.....

the cadillac man
07-04-13, 12:22 PM
Oh it works.....

I haven't seen any cases of it happening except with the foreign cars

John P
07-05-13, 12:25 PM
Signal jammer.

Works for tv remotes etc aswell. They hold the button down on the jammer and you walk away and press the button and assume its locked, but they stopped the signal from telling it to lock. Cheap to buy and easy to get.

the cadillac man
07-05-13, 01:18 PM
Signal jammer.

Works for tv remotes etc aswell. They hold the button down on the jammer and you walk away and press the button and assume its locked, but they stopped the signal from telling it to lock. Cheap to buy and easy to get.

It wouldn't work on me as I always look back at the truck for confirmation that I see the lights flash plus I have it set to where on the second press it sounds the horn

I only had one time that it didn't do either but I checked to make sure it was locked

I never assume its locked I know its locked when I lock my truck

Jophusp
07-05-13, 01:40 PM
It is extremely unlikely that they used any kind of electronic device, but its all interesting just the same. Either way, it is far too easy to break into just about any car without tripping the alarm. It will happen to many of us, and we are driving the most vandalized vehicles on the road. A price we pay for such a reputable Truck.

the cadillac man
07-05-13, 02:31 PM
It is extremely unlikely that they used any kind of electronic device, but its all interesting just the same. Either way, it is far too easy to break into just about any car without tripping the alarm. It will happen to many of us, and we are driving the most vandalized vehicles on the road. A price we pay for such a reputable Truck.

True
Most of us should be glad we aren't having our trucks stripped and left like one poor member on here
Look up Black Friday sucks on here

John P
07-05-13, 04:01 PM

Sorry, Why is it extremely unlikely?
In this situation it's extremely likely that an electronic device was used.
He either didn't lock it or something jammed the signal from the fob. I'd say that's anything but 'unlikely'.
Even more so these days where cars are harder to break into due to full closure systems, perimeter sensors etc So the best way to stop these things becoming a problem? Stop them from being activated by the cars owner.

Jophusp
07-05-13, 05:52 PM
I am talking about odds here man. Yes, some one could have used such a device, but the odds of that being his means into the truck are FAR outnumbered by the more traditional methods. It is far more likely that someone spotted the target vehicle, parked beside it, and entered with a slim jim, wedge and arm, or just simply found the door unlocked. I am not trying to argue, just answering your question as to why I think it is extremely unlikely. In the end, these are all just our opinions, and there is no proof one way or the other.