: Power steering pump whining, about to replace then suddenly stops and it goes away.

Motown Cad
06-28-13, 09:14 PM
Weird thing happened. Two weeks ago I start car one day and pump starts groaning and whining loud with a bit of chug in the steering wheel when turning. I inspect fluid which is black and smells burnt sort of. It continues with behavior for 2-3 days until I take to garage. There they inspect it and say it's about the worst fluid they've seen and think it's never been changed for 130K. I decide to get it flushed to see if it will buy me some time. They have two flushes. I pick the more expensive one with "detergent". When finished the whine is 60-70% reduced and the slight steering chug in wheel is almost eliminated. I drive for a few days until I have to travel last Tuesday. I park car at airport Tuesday, do trip come home last night, get in car and the whine is gone and steering normal as if it never happened. What could that be? Something was clogging line and got free? Garage said they put 3-4 cans through full system. Thoughts?

darkman
06-28-13, 09:44 PM
What does the fluid look like now? If the fluid is high detergent and the system was that contaminated (the factory fluid is crystal clear by the way) you may want to drain it again to eliminate any remaining contamination.

odthetruth
06-29-13, 12:04 AM
You can do the old turkey baster method to clear up the PS fluid. I had a little groan from the PS pump, changed the fluid out, and now nothing. I even have a spare brand new power steering pump that I was going to use to replace it that I don't even need anymore. LOL

Motown Cad
06-29-13, 03:13 AM
What does the fluid look like now? If the fluid is high detergent and the system was that contaminated (the factory fluid is crystal clear by the way) you may want to drain it again to eliminate any remaining contamination.

I had to double look because at first glance, even the reservoir housing is white, it casts a shadow on the fluid. I checked at garage by dipping finger to see what "clean" fluid should look like and this stuff was clear. Before the garage, I dipped finger and it was nasty dark.

I will check in morning to see if color changed. I'll let go for several days and maybe flush it again for GP. I was going to buy pump tomorrow but I'll wait a few.

----------

You can do the old turkey baster method to clear up the PS fluid. I had a little groan from the PS pump, changed the fluid out, and now nothing. I even have a spare brand new power steering pump that I was going to use to replace it that I don't even need anymore. LOL

Well I'm almost in same boat. But having spare parts gives peace of mind.;)