: 97 catera sun roof

02-14-05, 05:16 PM
I'm having problems with my sun roof.It tends to pop open from time to time on it's own,and takes a while to close even when playing with the knob.
I had the sun roof programed the other month by the dealer but it didn't seem to solve the problem.

Does anybody have any idea how to fix this problem?

02-14-05, 06:51 PM
There were usually two fixes for this :

One person found that the knob was actually damaged on the inside.

The other had the switch replaced and that took care of it.

02-15-05, 08:28 AM
It happened to my Catera as well in the past. But I was able to solve it by spraying WD40 into the middle of the dial and then playing with it back and forth. I remember my brother in law who is an electronic technician. Normally, when there is a loose contact in some of the the switches of the devices that he repairs, this is what he do. Give it a try and it might save you some money. In my case, it worked, the sunroof is now working like new. I guess you know that WD40 canister comes with that little red straw, use that one so you can direct and force the WD40 to sip into the inside. I remembered exposing the whole switch by taking off the cover, not only the dial, but it's a lot of work to achieve this. Try removing the dial first by pulling it off and then do the thing.

02-15-05, 10:09 AM
This is a common problem with the Catera's. (mine included) From what I've seen it it usually a short in the switch. The WD40 should take care of it. If it doesn't you may need to replace the switch.