: 97 catera sun roof

cateradriver
02-14-05, 05:16 PM
I'm having problems with my sun roof.It tends to pop open from time to time on it's own,and takes a while to close even when playing with the knob.
I had the sun roof programed the other month by the dealer but it didn't seem to solve the problem.

Does anybody have any idea how to fix this problem?

Vesicant
02-14-05, 06:51 PM
There were usually two fixes for this :

One person found that the knob was actually damaged on the inside.

The other had the switch replaced and that took care of it.

AllenPacla
02-15-05, 08:28 AM
It happened to my Catera as well in the past. But I was able to solve it by spraying WD40 into the middle of the dial and then playing with it back and forth. I remember my brother in law who is an electronic technician. Normally, when there is a loose contact in some of the the switches of the devices that he repairs, this is what he do. Give it a try and it might save you some money. In my case, it worked, the sunroof is now working like new. I guess you know that WD40 canister comes with that little red straw, use that one so you can direct and force the WD40 to sip into the inside. I remembered exposing the whole switch by taking off the cover, not only the dial, but it's a lot of work to achieve this. Try removing the dial first by pulling it off and then do the thing.

vogel81
02-15-05, 10:09 AM
This is a common problem with the Catera's. (mine included) From what I've seen it it usually a short in the switch. The WD40 should take care of it. If it doesn't you may need to replace the switch.