: changing front break pads...

kjburto
06-28-13, 06:07 PM
Does anyone have any links or information on changing the break pads on a 2007 sts v. I need to replace that he front pads with these hawks I just purchased. Trying to decide if I should do them myself or have the dealer install them when they replace my radiator and head gaskets on tuesday. I tried using the search and couldn't find any info. Thanks

1madstsv
06-28-13, 06:19 PM
Very easy they are quick change pads. Take of the wheel then take a punch and a hammer. And tap out the two pins going trough the caliper and pull out the pads and put in the new ones and tap the pins Back trough and that's it. 1hr tops I can do it in 15mins for all 4. If the car is allready jacked up.

TimmyC
06-29-13, 03:11 AM
Yes, it is easy.

Are you really having the head gaskets replaced or is it the valve cover gaskets?

kjburto
06-29-13, 09:40 AM
Yes, it is easy.

Are you really having the head gaskets replaced or is it the valve cover gaskets?

My bad I think your right it was the valve cover gaskets, luckily its all covered under the extended warrenty I purchased.

After replacing the pads is there anything else that needs to be done?

boomys10
06-29-13, 11:27 AM
make damn sure the warrantee covers it!!! I had an extended on my car and I had to pay for them to tear it down before they would say if it was honored or not. could be a nightmare quickly.

Guy.Seminerio
06-29-13, 11:36 AM
How do valve cover gaskets go?

kjburto
06-29-13, 12:48 PM
make damn sure the warrantee covers it!!! I had an extended on my car and I had to pay for them to tear it down before they would say if it was honored or not. could be a nightmare quickly.

They already told me it was covered just have 100 deductible

----------

Where is the best place to lift this car with a floor jack? The manual says the 2 slots behind wheel well. Can you place it anywhere else? Thanks for the help

TimmyC
06-29-13, 06:11 PM
Put the jack under the front engine cradle or rear suspension cradle.

kjburto
06-29-13, 06:19 PM
Is there something I need to do that im missing. I cannot get the old pads out on the first wheel. I got both pins out okay just cant pull the pads out. Any ideas can I use w wd-40 or something?

TimmyC
06-29-13, 06:23 PM
Is there something I need to do that im missing. I cannot get the old pads out on the first wheel. I got both pins out okay just cant pull the pads out. Any ideas can I use w wd-40 or something?

There is probably a lip on the edge of the rotor from wear. Might have to pry the pads past that.

kjburto
06-29-13, 06:34 PM
Okay got the pads out now how do I get the new ones in, they are 2 times as thick?

TimmyC
06-29-13, 06:36 PM
You have to press the pistons into the caliper with something.

kjburto
06-29-13, 06:46 PM
Thanks for all the help by the way

----------

Got em thanks

boomys10
06-29-13, 07:29 PM
the gaskets just go bad. I blew all of them out on mine. EXPENSIVE to fix.

kjburto
06-29-13, 08:07 PM
the gaskets just go bad. I blew all of them out on mine. EXPENSIVE to fix.

Yeah I figured everything would be expensive so thats why I got the 2 yr extended warranty.

Thanks everyone for the help. Is there anything I need to do to break these new pads in?