: catera will not start??

ricker6869
02-14-05, 05:55 PM
My 1998 catera will not start..its seems not to be getting any fuel..fuel pump>??? I cant even find the fuel pump relay??? Starting symptoms were difficulty starting...took 3 tries to go. Now will not start. Any ideas?? Please help!!!!

Rick:banghead:

97Catera
02-14-05, 06:11 PM
i would say fuel pump if your sure its not getting fuel,maybe just check the fuse/relay first.

Vesicant
02-14-05, 07:59 PM
Fuel pump fuse is number 18 on the fuse panel underneath the steeringwheel. (this is in your owners manual, pg 6-56 - 6-67

Under the hood the relay is #20 - illustration also in the manual. box over the battery is the location of relays.

It may also be something like the fuel pressure regulator but that requires taking off the top manifold plenum for access.

Id check for ignition next. Utilize one of the car's sparkplugs to check for spark, or use a timing light on the wire.

stevehogan
02-14-05, 09:35 PM
I guess the next question is (after you make sure the fuese are good) --- the-difficulty-in-starting-3-times-to-go situation... was this happening for a long time (weeks or months) or just for a few days?

ricker6869
02-15-05, 02:00 PM
I guess the next question is (after you make sure the fuese are good) --- the-difficulty-in-starting-3-times-to-go situation... was this happening for a long time (weeks or months) or just for a few days?

Steve,

This only happened 3 day before.

PS. THe prev. owner did not have the manual...:banghead:

Thanks,
Rick

stevehogan
02-15-05, 04:26 PM
Hi Rick,

OK, once this thing gets started, you can go search for an owner's manual on eBay ;) Also get yourself a set of the Factory Service manuals. I paid $6 for my owner's manual (in the leather case) - they go from $5 to $15 typically. Also the service manuals - $10 to $70 - depends on how many happen to be for sale that week :cool:

Since you probably can't check for any diagnostic codes, try this stuff from the service manual:

1: Check the duct work between the Mass Air Flow Sensor and the throttle body for leaks. Also, a bad MAF can cause a no-start. Try disconnecting the MAF. THe ECM will detect a disconnected MAF and use a default condition that will allow a start. If it starts, it's a bad MAF.

2: Check the spark as suggested by Jeffery.

3: Check the fuel pump fuse also as suggested by Jeffrey. And the relay. If the fuse is OK, crank the engine for about 2 seconds. Then stop cranking, but leave the key in the run position. You should hear the fuel pump ruin for another 2 seconds or so. If you don't hear the fuel pump, you need to check out the fuel pump electrical circuit.

4: Make sure that the fuel injector connector at the rear of the intake manifold is tightly connected. (Unlikely this is the problem, but it has happened.)

I'm betting on the MAF, the ignition coil, the fuel pump relay or the fuel pump itself - mainly because the problem came on pretty suddenly and was intermittent for only a couple of days before it died completely. Most of the other stuff that could cause this problem should have given you drivability issues that you probably would have noticed.

If none of this stuff fixes it, you need to scan the codes.:banghead: Could be a lot of things, potentially a bad ECM, but you really need the codes and the manuals to go much further.

Hope this helps.

Steve

ricker6869
02-16-05, 01:40 PM
Steve,

I will try this as soon as I get home.

Many thanks to you and the members of this site...you guys are bringing me out of the dark!!!

Rick