: Steering play - options?

70eldo
06-28-13, 03:41 AM
I have a slight play in my steering. Is there anything I can adjust to reduce or eliminate the play? Or do I have to replace hardware?

I checked the joints and they are OK. The play seems to be internally in the steering gear.

70eldo
07-29-13, 05:34 AM
Bump
Noone ever fixed this?

MoistCabbage
07-29-13, 05:53 AM
Not sure if your steering gear is adjustable. If not, it will need to be replaced.

carnut
08-01-13, 01:45 PM
Assuming the coupler is tight where the steering shaft meets the gear box, you will see a jamb nut and screw slot on a bolt at the top center of the box itself. Loosen the jamb nut and turn the screw a quarter turn clockwise and tighten jamb nut. If it feels the same, I would look at tie rods and idler arm for play.

70eldo
08-02-13, 06:15 AM
Assuming the coupler is tight where the steering shaft meets the gear box, you will see a jamb nut and screw slot on a bolt at the top center of the box itself. Loosen the jamb nut and turn the screw a quarter turn clockwise and tighten jamb nut. If it feels the same, I would look at tie rods and idler arm for play.

Thanks! I've seen this adjustment by that screw on a jeep and wasn't sure if it would be the same on the Cadillac. I will try this out and go from there. Tie rods and idler arms have been replaced a couple of years ago. I am sure I can see the steering 'axle' turn before the steering housing without resulting action within the play movement. That is why I presume the play is within the steering housing.

carnut
08-02-13, 07:59 PM
If you turn that screw too far, the steering wheel will not return to center once you turn the corner. Be careful!!!

70eldo
08-04-13, 10:16 AM
If you turn that screw too far, the steering wheel will not return to center once you turn the corner. Be careful!!!
OK, I will be carefull. ThnX!