: CTSV Wh Hop - Need help so I can buy my husband a birthday present

mlakowicz
02-14-05, 11:52 AM
My husband just bought a CTSV and complains of bad wheel hop. I would like to buy him the kit and/or upgrade or whatever it is you buy to put on his car as part of his birthday present. Can someone tell me what to buy and/or send me the link? Thanks. MaryL

jdodman
02-14-05, 11:56 AM
In order to fix the problem with the V, you would have to buy him a Corvette.
There is no known (100%) cure for the Wheel Hop issue from GM yet. We are all waiting patiently. Some more patient than others.

BUILDINGCTSAMG
02-14-05, 12:01 PM
This is kind of a negative answer. There are a few options to greatly reduce wheel hop....1 is the bmr kit that has gotten some good and some average reviews.. it is not too expensive but can increase a bit of road noise. Replacing the tires has helped some, but is quite expensive and not always a cure. People have also recommend the cadillac installed fg2 kit which can be purchased and installed by cadillac. I think it runs about $1000 not sure. Some of the v owners will be by to give you a better idea

02-14-05, 12:10 PM
My husband just bought a CTSV and complains of bad wheel hop. I would like to buy him the kit and/or upgrade or whatever it is you buy to put on his car as part of his birthday present. Can someone tell me what to buy and/or send me the link? Thanks. MaryL

Mary:

I can't be much help on the wheel hop, but if you ever get tired of your husband please marry me.

Might I suggest that you buy him a "gift certificate" for a new Corsa exhaust installed by your Caddy dealer? It will likely set you back about $1400 installed, though. www.corsaperf.com (http://www.corsaperf.com).

Car gifts for car freaks are a tough call since most will have their own visions about what they want to do.....

Good luck and......I'll be waiting (just don't tell my wife). :rolleyes:

DgtalPimp
02-14-05, 12:12 PM
I am very happy to see a wife try and get the best present she can for her husband. Unfortunately there is no 100% wheel hop cure yet. There are a few companies out there that claim to have reduced it, but overall, the wheel hop is there. Maybe a driving class (road course) class would be a great present for him? Take your car to the track for a day (couple days, week) and have an instructor should him the fine details of driving. Just a thought.

mlakowicz
02-14-05, 12:27 PM
Thank you for your replies. Hopefully, there must be something out there for wheel hop. He already road races, but since he loves stuff!! for his cars, there must be something out there to buy. I'm tired of buying tires for his car!!!

urbanski
02-14-05, 12:30 PM
Thank you for your replies. Hopefully, there must be something out there for wheel hop. He already road races, but since he loves stuff!! for his cars, there must be something out there to buy. I'm tired of buying tires for his car!!!
Lingenfelter supposedly has a bushing kit coming out, but nobody has one nor has heard how effective it is. The BMR kit has as many downsides and complaints as it has upsides. So trust us, there IS NO SOLUTION as of this moment....unless you want to drop about 15K for Mallett to completely gut the rear end.

Oh and you'll be happy to hear that the stock tires on the V last about 5-10K miles, or about 6 months in my case.

DgtalPimp
02-14-05, 12:49 PM
Well if you do find a solution (not a "helper") please tell us what you find. We all are daily drivers and can't stand the whell hop (see the other various wheel hop threads). For sound and video of the billy Boat X pipe exhaust I have you can look see it here (http://www.dgtalpimp.com)

V-seriesTech
02-14-05, 12:58 PM

Miss Mary,...as stated by these guys, there is no 100% cure but,..isn't 75% better, is better then nothing at all?.....I mean,...you gotta start somewhere. So,..to answer your question the best I can,....click these links...

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/CTS-Vpage.htm

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/CTS-V/AWK001-small.jpg (http://www.bmrfabrication.com/CTS-V/AWK001.jpg)

Anybody that's driven one of these cars knows about the serious wheelhop issues. What people don't know is how to resolve it. While this car is definitely a modern day musclecar, first and foremost it's a Cadillac and GM designed the suspension ultimately with ride quality in mind. This doesn't mean that you have to sacrifice ride quality, though. A careful balance of fixed mounts and rubber mounts can provide both ride quality and traction.
This new kit makes the cradle a fixed mount and reinforces the cradle in a critical area, the trailing arm mount. With this kit alone, wheelhop is reduced approximately 75% and ride quality is only slightly effected. In fact, most people can't really tell the difference.
AWK0012004-2005 Cadillac CTS-V Anti-wheelhop kit$329.95

I hope this helps.

DgtalPimp
02-14-05, 01:03 PM
Please watch the video on my site before you entertain the BMR kit.

Billy Boat (http://www.billyboat.com/) was driving and the car and it still wheel hopped. It was enough hop that I did not buy the kit as I say it as a waste of money and a decrease from the interior noise.

V-seriesTech
02-14-05, 01:09 PM
...link?

DgtalPimp
02-14-05, 02:21 PM
Look at my sig line. Email is my name, and the part that says look here for video and sound bites, is the link fo hosted video, etc.

Kels55
02-14-05, 03:01 PM
I've had the kit installed for about 3 1/2 months and I can't wait to take it off (dealer won't return to stock, so I have to myself). The claim of 75% should state 7.5% because the difference is barely noticable. Please don't waste your money on the BMR AWK. You would be much better off buying a set of bushings. The bushings may not do anything for the wheel hop but at least the bushings will eliminate the driveline clunk, and it seems that the stock bushings disintigrate quickly creating loud metal on metal banging every time you use the clutch and shift gears in motion.

V-seriesTech
02-14-05, 03:42 PM
I've had the kit installed for about 3 1/2 months and I can't wait to take it off (dealer won't return to stock, so I have to myself). The claim of 75% should state 7.5% because the difference is barely noticable. Please don't waste your money on the BMR AWK. You would be much better off buying a set of bushings. The bushings may not do anything for the wheel hop but at least the bushings will eliminate the driveline clunk, and it seems that the stock bushings disintigrate quickly creating loud metal on metal banging every time you use the clutch and shift gears in motion.

Wow..that really sucks man. Never heard of problems. :bonkers:

Kels55
02-14-05, 03:57 PM
Wow..that really sucks man. Never heard of problems. :bonkers:

Do a search on bushings and driveline cluck on this forum and you will have a lot of reading to do. I know I am not the first.

Dooman
02-15-05, 08:56 AM
Keep the mileage low and Put a deposit on an STS-V!