: Auto transmission random change down

gregs v
06-27-13, 11:32 PM
I have been driving my V sedan for the past 4 months and have a couple of questions that I hope you may be able to answer.

- has anyone experienced the auto transmission randomly down changing when in sports mode? I was driving along in sport auto mode at a steady 70 mph when out of nowhere the transmission changed gears from 6th to 5th to 4th and then to 3rd. I switched over to standard auto mode and the issue went away. Curious to see if sports mode still worked I then switch the gear stick back over to the right and the car started to change down again, before the numerical display showing the selected gear went blank. Once I got to a safe location to stop I switched off the engine and restarted the car and have not had an issue since. I guess my main concern is getting caught out when committed to a tight bend and having the car decide that it going to switch gears.

- i really like the heavier steering setting found when activating competition mode, is it possible to set the cars steering to this mode when the TC and stability control are active? So far I have not found an override function. It seems weird that the car would not switch to the heavier steering when you activate sport mode for the suspension, so I am hoping that someone can tell me what I am doing wrong.

- final question...the front wheels click when the car is at stand still and the brakes seem to rub/ click when the car is turning tight corners at low speed, for example when in a parking lot. What is the cause and is there an easy fix? The car is an 2012 with 6k on the clock.

Many thanks for any information that you can share!

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-30-13, 07:42 PM
Welcome to the forum, gregs v!

I understand you're looking to hear from other owners on these questions, and hopefully you're able to get that perspective before too long!

Regarding the gear changes while in sport mode, if this turns out to be more than an anomaly, I would certainly recommend getting it checked into as you're under your warranties. Be sure to pay attention to any potential environmental factors (like a declining road surface). Same with the clicking noise - it may be best to ride along with a technician in order to point out the noise or help recreate the conditions that cause the noise to occur.

I don't have information on whether it's possible to have the heavier steering setting you're getting when you activate competition mode without disabling traction control.

Keep us posted on the wheel clicking, and definitely let us know if the transmission changes gears on you again.

Sarah (Assisting Laura)
Cadillac Customer Care

Trapspeed
06-30-13, 07:50 PM
Hello. The gear changes sound like a programming issue. Is it stock? I think I've heard others talking about this very same thing before and that's what it was. Take it in and have them diagnose it.

As for the clicking. I've never heard someone say they click at a stop but, yes, they are known to click. There is a TSB that suggests a new lug nut. It's been fairly successful. Have them look at that, too. Keep us posted.

gregs v
06-30-13, 11:41 PM
Many thanks for the replies. I took the car into my local caddy dealership and here is what they told me...

They found an error code logged regarding the gear changes, but there was insufficient information to determine the cause. The car was taken out on a test run and all was good as I had previously mentioned, so I have been told to wait to see if it happens again.

The cause of the clicking sound is the same as reported by other forum users, and parts have been ordered. I will report back once fitted to confirm if this fixes the fault.

The service team had never received a request to over ride the weight of the power steering, and do not believe it is possible to adjust without deactivating the TC and stability control. Still seems weird that you can only use this function with everything else switched off, but it is no bid deal just wanted to double check that I had not missed something. May be something for caddy to consider in the new cts v.

The only issue I have now is the tint on the passenger window somehow got scratched which i did not notice until this morning. That makes two visits and both times damage to the car, first a scuffed front wheel and now this.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-01-13, 04:23 PM
Many thanks for the replies. I took the car into my local caddy dealership and here is what they told me...

They found an error code logged regarding the gear changes, but there was insufficient information to determine the cause. The car was taken out on a test run and all was good as I had previously mentioned, so I have been told to wait to see if it happens again.

The cause of the clicking sound is the same as reported by other forum users, and parts have been ordered. I will report back once fitted to confirm if this fixes the fault.

The service team had never received a request to over ride the weight of the power steering, and do not believe it is possible to adjust without deactivating the TC and stability control. Still seems weird that you can only use this function with everything else switched off, but it is no bid deal just wanted to double check that I had not missed something. May be something for caddy to consider in the new cts v.

The only issue I have now is the tint on the passenger window somehow got scratched which i did not notice until this morning. That makes two visits and both times damage to the car, first a scuffed front wheel and now this.

Hello gregs v,

Thanks for updating us on your current status. I am sorry for the issue you have with the window getting scratched. Were you going to mention this to the dealer? Also, I see parts have been ordered to fix the clicking sound. I can be reached via private message so we can continue to interact and I can stay involved throughout this process.

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

gregs v
07-02-13, 07:16 PM
Hello gregs v,

Thanks for updating us on your current status. I am sorry for the issue you have with the window getting scratched. Were you going to mention this to the dealer? Also, I see parts have been ordered to fix the clicking sound. I can be reached via private message so we can continue to interact and I can stay involved throughout this process.

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

Bridgette2013
07-02-13, 07:51 PM
I have been driving my V sedan for the past 4 months and have a couple of questions that I hope you may be able to answer.

- has anyone experienced the auto transmission randomly down changing when in sports mode? I was driving along in sport auto mode at a steady 70 mph when out of nowhere the transmission changed gears from 6th to 5th to 4th and then to 3rd. I switched over to standard auto mode and the issue went away. Curious to see if sports mode still worked I then switch the gear stick back over to the right and the car started to change down again, before the numerical display showing the selected gear went blank. Once I got to a safe location to stop I switched off the engine and restarted the car and have not had an issue since. I guess my main concern is getting caught out when committed to a tight bend and having the car decide that it going to switch gears.

- i really like the heavier steering setting found when activating competition mode, is it possible to set the cars steering to this mode when the TC and stability control are active? So far I have not found an override function. It seems weird that the car would not switch to the heavier steering when you activate sport mode for the suspension, so I am hoping that someone can tell me what I am doing wrong.

- final question...the front wheels click when the car is at stand still and the brakes seem to rub/ click when the car is turning tight corners at low speed, for example when in a parking lot. What is the cause and is there an easy fix? The car is an 2012 with 6k on the clock.

Many thanks for any information that you can share!

I experience the turning tight corners click as well in low speed. And mine has 800 miles on clock.