: difference between STS4 1sg and Platinum Edition STS?

STS-4000
06-27-13, 10:54 PM
Does anyone know the difference between a 2007 STS4 1sG and a Platinum Edition sts? does the Platinum Edition come with more features or something?

Guy.Seminerio
06-27-13, 11:29 PM
Platinum edition has an upgraded, leather wrapped interior. Much like the STS-V. And I'm talking everywhere. The insides of the door pockets on each door are lined in leather. Very nice interior. Doesn't have the soft padding under it like the cts does, but the leather itself is a much higher quality, and is in a lot of places where the CTS goes with plastic. Also, on the regular STS platinum, the wood is upgraded. Attached pics are of my V.

Guy.Seminerio
06-27-13, 11:46 PM
In the pic of the steering wheel if you look above the wheel on the top of the dash you'll see some stitching. Other than that the pics are self explanitory.

----------

Option-wise, I don't know if going with platinum automatically meant you were fully loaded. In other words I'm not sure if "platinum" was a standalone option. I also believe the leather on the seats is upgraded.

----------

http://forums.motortrend.com/70/1068564/the-general-forum/cadillac-unveils-sts-xlr-and-dts-platinum-editions/index.html

Also on this wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_STS-V of the STS-V, the "appearance" section, last part says
"For the interior, the STS-V also has upgraded leather and suede trim contracted from the German company Dräxlmaier, whose prior credit includes the Maybach 57/62. Interior color choices were Ebony and Gray, both of which are offered on the standard STS as well, and a two-tone Ebony/Tango Red scheme which was unique to the STS-V."

I'm sure the same goes for the non V interiors. This is probably why I was just quoted $2600+ for a replacement dash +$550 labor.

Long story short, got tints, they spilled water on the dash, dried out the natural oils, 3 hours of sunshine later, permanent damage to the leather. Currently seeking legal advice, but LUCKILY i have dated video of my dash in perfect condition the DAY PRIOR, because the owner of the tint shop is refusing to cough up the 3k+. Doesn't want to make an insurance claim. Well I haven't revealed to the owner that I have this video. Awaiting further legal advice and am absolutely ready and willing to sue.

STS-4000
06-28-13, 11:52 AM
Ah okay, now I see the difference. gezz that leather is expensive!

curtc
06-28-13, 12:32 PM
Wish I had that leather trim in my car! One of the few things I don't like about this car is the material used for the dash, console, and doors...Can't stand that plastic crap nor the "soft" padded rubber-type material on the doors and dash. If there's one thing I can knock Cadillac for on this car it's the quality of materials used in the interior...Very sub par for its original sticker price.

1BadCadSTS
06-28-13, 01:19 PM
I got v door panels in mine. Totally upgrades the interior.

curtc
06-28-13, 01:25 PM
I got v door panels in mine. Totally upgrades the interior.

I bet it does! If I'm ever flush with cash and can spare the expense of 4 V door panels I may go down that route.

Guy.Seminerio
06-28-13, 02:20 PM
Can you tell me the cost of a front and a rear v door panel?

1BadCadSTS
06-28-13, 07:09 PM
Oem like 1200 a pop. Salvage yard 450 shipped for all 4.

Vs have suede that the platnium does not.

If the forum wasn't so retarded about posting pics I'd share but I'm on the app and it sucks.

Guy.Seminerio
06-28-13, 08:25 PM
Salvage yard?? Wow. I'm surprised there are so many of these cars there especially a platinum. Yep forgot about the suede. Well if you're interested in completing the look, when I get my new dash ill be looking at getting rid of my dash, obviously discounted due to the damage. Definitely would still be an upgrade though. If you're interested I'll send you pics of the damaged dash.

EChas3
06-28-13, 09:55 PM
However, also like the V, the Platinum is not available with ACC. I won't willingly buy another modern car without it. (Naturally, classics are excepted.)

I'm not sure, but I think that also means no HUD since those options were linked until the 2nd generation STS.

curtc
06-28-13, 10:26 PM
I won't willingly buy another modern car without it. (Naturally, classics are excepted.)

100% agreed, can't imagine having to actually adjust the cruise manually again...You realize how awesome it is when you drive a car that doesn't have it..."What? I have do this myself?"

Guy.Seminerio
06-28-13, 10:48 PM
First world problems. Ah what is this metal thing I have to stick in my car to start it? I have to press a button on this remote to get into my car?!? Ah jeez there's a car in front of me and I have to press my foot down 3 inches to slow my car down. How many speakers?? 14?? Nah 15 or better for me. My ear deserves the finest sounds. Why aren't there speakers in your seats?? Etc etc. believe me I'm just as spoiled as you guys.

EChas3
06-28-13, 11:15 PM
It is so easy to get used to these conveniences but they also offer other values:

1. Chrysler was paid to conduct an ACC study that concluded that when 20% of cars in moderate to heavy traffic used ACC, delays were reduced by 80%.
2. Keyless/proximity entry like in the STS is demonstrably safer in that the car locks itself every time the driver exits and opens upon need.
3. Likewise with keyless start. A driver can leave the scene in far less time.
4. Onstar and other generally available features provide levels of safety and security far above cars of previous generations.

Sure, I'm pampering myself. But I'm also comforted that my wife isn't as likely to feel the stress of getting lost or can find her way easily. If I had kids, would it be worth $20 a month to have the car call for help if/when they hit a telephone pole? You betcha!

I love these cars and am looking forward to the next generation.

1BadCadSTS
06-28-13, 11:48 PM
Salvage yard?? Wow. I'm surprised there are so many of these cars there especially a platinum. Yep forgot about the suede. Well if you're interested in completing the look, when I get my new dash ill be looking at getting rid of my dash, obviously discounted due to the damage. Definitely would still be an upgrade though. If you're interested I'll send you pics of the damaged dash.

Yea I'm interested. Let me know how much. I have the v console and door panels.

----------

However, also like the V, the Platinum is not available with ACC. I won't willingly buy another modern car without it. (Naturally, classics are excepted.)

I'm not sure, but I think that also means no HUD since those options were linked until the 2nd generation STS.

08+ can get platnium with acc

ddalder
06-28-13, 11:55 PM
I'm disappointed that the Platinum STS was only available in Cashmere. Of all the colours I don't like, this one pretty much tops my list. In regards to the 'V', it doesn't have ACC, but ventilated seats were never available either. Not sure about pre-2008, but I'm quite certain that HUD was available without ACC. You couldn't get ACC without it, but you could get HUD without ACC (HUD is part of the driver awareness package which of course also included lane departure warning and side blind zone alert).

EChas3
06-29-13, 12:24 AM
You've pegged it DD. To get HUD w/o ACC in an early STS it must be a V. Later on, it was available on V6 models with the driver awareness package. Only 1SF & 1SG (i.e. V8-equipped STS) ever got ACC.

----------

I agree on Cashmere. Not my cup of tea.

Guy.Seminerio
06-29-13, 03:31 AM
Wow echase3 interesting stuff. What do you mean you have the console. My understanding is that pretty much most of the dash is one piece. Lets skip the song and dance I want to get as much as I can but I have a lot of love for my fellow caddyforums members especially 1 bad cad, such a frequent anzd helpful name. So lets get a good offer and more than likely I'm good. Unless its ridiculous. Again ill show the pics of course.

1BadCadSTS
06-29-13, 08:46 AM
My center console and door panels are from a v.

I do want your dash so let me know how much $.

BaTu
06-29-13, 09:52 AM
100% agreed, can't imagine having to actually adjust the cruise manually again...You realize how awesome it is when you drive a car that doesn't have it..."What? I have do this myself?"

Just like turning On the Wipers/Headlights-HighBeams ;)

I back up my Pick-Up with impunity now. In the back of my mind I know I'm thinking I'll hear the Parking Assist if I'm actually too close to anything (something my F350 doesn't have,,,. This is going to bite-me in the A$$ one day..,)

I drive my other cars and scan the windshield in front of my thinking "How fast am I going?" :D

Guy.Seminerio
06-29-13, 11:41 AM
Give me time to think about cost. It might be a hot minute before anything happens anyway. Ill come to you first though.

dl72
06-29-13, 07:05 PM
You've pegged it DD. To get HUD w/o ACC in an early STS it must be a V. Later on, it was available on V6 models with the driver awareness package. Only 1SF & 1SG (i.e. V8-equipped STS) ever got ACC.

----------

No HUD available on 2006-2007 STS-V's

PontiacV8
06-29-13, 08:05 PM
Only 1SF & 1SG (i.e. V8-equipped STS) ever got ACC.

...to be a smartass...european export STS don't have/never got a "1SG" or "1SF"...;) ...but ACC/HUD was still available on export STS V8...

I'm disappointed that the Platinum STS was only available in Cashmere.

...black leather/interior (19I, 193, IL3) was available on 2007 Platinum STS...;)

EChas3
06-29-13, 08:39 PM
...to be a smartass...european export STS don't have/never got a "1SG" or "1SF"...;) ...but ACC/HUD was still available on export STS V8...

...to promote spirited conversation...export models do have trim-level RPO's. A member from Saudi Arabia once quoted a weird RPO (1SV?) and also had other specific options such as an extra set of electric cooling fans and oversize radiator/trans cooler & AC condensor. His typical daytime high temperatures were 125F. As I recall, his N* STS was good until a front end collision and less than responsive dealer put him in a bad spot.

However, 1SZ is just a marketing program...

PontiacV8
06-29-13, 09:11 PM
...yes...:)
...e.g. "1SK"- "Option Package #10" for the MAE ("Marketing Area Europe") exports...all the MAE cars (V6 and V8 ) got also the "V08"- heavy duty cooling, they all got HIDs and headlamp washer, the MAE V6 all got JE5/JE2 performance brakes/lining, the MAE V8 all got the Brembo J56 brakes...etc., ...and other neat options and things...

...or a "1SJ" for option package 9...whatever this might be...

...on the other hand...there are also some options the "domestic" cars got/could have...that never been available on exports...;)

1BadCadSTS
06-29-13, 09:35 PM
Yeah. Like hideous red lens tail lamps hahaha.

EChas3
06-29-13, 09:56 PM
...or another 2 inches of wheelbase like the SLS for the Chinese market (but no N*).

Guy.Seminerio
06-29-13, 10:04 PM
I hear that regulations in Europe say that if you have HIDs the lights have to be adaptive. Not in the sense that you turn the wheel and the lights follow, but instead, under acceleration the beams adjust downward to offset squat of the rear suspension. And under braking they aim up. My buddy's 07 BMW X5 does this. If this is true when did this go into effect, and did it end up affecting the export STS? I know headlamp washers are mandatory with HIDs. Thanks.

EChas3
06-29-13, 10:54 PM
Yep! I think DD was working on a retrofit project.

Guy.Seminerio
06-30-13, 02:22 AM
For the headlights that point down on acceleration and up on braking?? If so very cool.

targetSTS
06-30-13, 02:42 AM
yes, export models in europe have headlights auto leveling option with hid, cause this option is required along with washers for every car sold at europe market with hid

Guy.Seminerio
06-30-13, 02:44 AM
Very nice. So what is the method of getting that in our cars, or is it still a work in progress?

Ludacrisvp
06-30-13, 03:30 PM
Very nice. So what is the method of getting that in our cars, or is it still a work in progress?

If I recall the holdups for ddalder and the auto leveling system are lack of correct wiring and possibly the leveling motors for the lights. I think he wants a full set of export headlights.
When I bought a damaged hid housing from a domestic 05 model it seemed that it would be simple to pop off the vertical adjuster and pop in a new adjuster that had a motor in it.

Guy.Seminerio
06-30-13, 06:32 PM
Gotcha gotcha sounds good. Looking forward to the results of that project.

ddalder
06-30-13, 07:13 PM
The hold-up for me has been a couple of things... I have the headlamp leveling module and both the wiring harnesses I require to build the new one for adding this option, I just haven't had time to complete the new harness. The other part is the new headlamps are going to cost me $2K and I need to spend a little money on my Bonneville before I put out that kind of money for a non-critical upgrade project like this. I may or may not get it completed this summer. I'll definitely finish up the wiring but I may not put out the money for the headlamps until next spring depending on how late in the year it is when I'm finally ready to move ahead. No point in having brand new headlamps sandblasted by winter road gravel!

----------

...black leather/interior (19I, 193, IL3) was available on 2007 Platinum STS...;)
Now I'm really disappointed because if they had carried this forward to 2008 and beyond, I would have been looking for a Platinum. Thanks for ruining my day lol.

Guy.Seminerio
06-30-13, 11:27 PM
So the headlamps themselves definitely need to be changed. Is that what I'm getting here?

Ludacrisvp
06-30-13, 11:56 PM
So the headlamps themselves definitely need to be changed. Is that what I'm getting here?
I don't think that you _have_ to ... I think it's more that ddalder is thinking if you are going to spend the time and money on retrofitting the auto leveling motors into headlight housings you might as well do it to new ones so that you have flawless housings again.

I think all that is really needed is the motors themselves and the appropriate wiring and then have the feature enabled in the car's programming.
If you are thinking of doing so Guy I *think* that since the V doesn't have MRC it doesn't have the needed suspension level sensors built in so you would have to get the other sensor method to allow it to work with yours.
There are notes for the 24 pin wire harness about (without K59) and (without F55) and (TT7/TT8 with K59) and the leveling option seems to be TR7 option code.

Guy.Seminerio
07-01-13, 12:49 AM
Oh boy you're hurting my brain. :bonkers: I'm pretty sure the V has auto leveling in the back. Not sure if that's what you were even questioning. Wonder if this will make it easier or harder for me.

ddalder
07-01-13, 04:39 AM
All 2005+ STS's have auto leveling in the back. The difference it that it doesn't respond with any degree of speed. This is used to adjust for variable weight in the back. There are delays built into the system to prevent the compressor from turning on/off every second or two. The leveling system for the headlights is designed to respond almost instantaneously.

I'm not certain as to how easy it is to add the headlamp leveling motors and associated parts to the headlamps. I know that since GM doesn't sell these parts separately from the headlamps, I need to purchase the entire headlamp assemblies. I'm not interested in used parts for something like this. I did see a (used) pair for sale in Europe a while back, but they were still going to cost me $1,200 CAN.

For vehicles with the export headlamp leveling (RPO: TR7) but without the F55 option, GM installs a sensor on the left front and rear suspension. These connect directly to the headlamp leveling module which mounts on the side of the right headlamp assembly.

targetSTS
07-01-13, 07:06 AM
Yeah, Darcy is right as usual )
Just sent you a pm about this.

Guy.Seminerio
07-01-13, 11:21 AM
Got it thanks for clarifying. This ain't gonna be cheap. Might pass on this one but interested to see the results.

turnne
07-01-13, 01:01 PM
yes...and those that angle in the direction you are turning as well...along with HID hi-beams

reading this thread

some of you guys know that these options were available on many other cars right?

along with lane departure...automatic brake assist...etc..etc

Warren

PontiacV8
07-01-13, 01:10 PM
Thanks for ruining my day lol.

...you're welcome, Darcy ...;) :D (sorry...:) )

...btw...

All 2005+ STS's have auto leveling in the back.

...hmm...AFAIK...the FE1 cars don't have an electr. auto leveling system in the back...there is also no level control compressor and control module, no suspension level sensors..and the shocks are also completely different to the FE3/F55...

...but for sure:

...all V6 2005 - 2007 MAE export STS got FE1, no electr. auto leveling, no compressor, but as export all got Xenon/HIDs, washers and TR7...there is also no "MODULE, ELEK SUSP CONT", old Part-#25735852, replaced by #15816809 in the trunk/passenger side...

...all V8 2005 - 2007 MAE export STS got FE3/F55 and the auto leveling incl. compressor, susp. control module, shocks/struts...and also the HIDs and TR7...including the same HID/headlamps/part-# and parts the export MAE V6 used---> the little headlamp leveling motors (Denso #25726383) and headlamp leveling module (GM #15223019, made by Denso...GM retail price around 417 US-$)

EDIT:...ok...never mind...just forget about the "self-leveling" nivomat shocks used in FE1 cars...but I don't or won't call this an "auto leveling" system...;)

I'm not interested in used parts for something like this. I did see a (used) pair for sale in Europe a while back, but they were still going to cost me $1,200 CAN.

...I know you don't like used...but as a side note...on ebay.de (Germany) there is a used pair Denso #25726383 headlamp leveling motors for around 50 euro each (but who knows what other parts are needed...;) ) and a headlamp leveling control module GM#15223019 for around 150 euro available...

EDIT:
...ah...I just saw you got a headlamp leveling module...

Guy.Seminerio
07-01-13, 01:36 PM
yes...and those that angle in the direction you are turning as well...along with HID hi-beams

reading this thread

some of you guys know that these options were available on many other cars right?

along with lane departure...automatic brake assist...etc..etc

Warren

The exports got the headlight angling around corners like the 08+ CTS??
Infiniti came out with a lot of the safety awareness stuff like lane departure etc. I think cadillac has been reluctant to get into the active safety features (lane keeping assist vs LDW) although they did start on the adaptive cruise relatively early on.

Nowadays all these features are available on 25 thousand dollar cars as options. And I'm not suggesting features is what makes a cadillac by any means, but if its optional on a Honda it needs to be standard on a caddy. For example, why are HIDs still optional? They should be standard with optional LEDs if anything.

1BadCadSTS
07-01-13, 02:04 PM
The exports got the headlight angling around corners like the 08+ CTS??
Infiniti came out with a lot of the safety awareness stuff like lane departure etc. I think cadillac has been reluctant to get into the active safety features (lane keeping assist vs LDW) although they did start on the adaptive cruise relatively early on.

Nowadays all these features are available on 25 thousand dollar cars as options. And I'm not suggesting features is what makes a cadillac by any means, but if its optional on a Honda it needs to be standard on a caddy. For example, why are HIDs still optional? They should be standard with optional LEDs if anything.

No the sts only level up and down no left/right adjust via turning.
I had a cts with it. They sucked. The light output is no where near the sts lamp output especially with intelibeam.

Guy.Seminerio
07-01-13, 02:15 PM
Yeah my roommate's cts has it and the lights seem kind of dull. I figured it was because the bulbs are 5 years old. It's an 08.

EChas3
07-02-13, 01:41 AM
These cars are still an amazing value. I just saw a spotless white N* at $16K. I only paid $5k more almost 5 years ago with like miles now! Go price an equally featured car; find one?

turnne
07-02-13, 08:48 AM
These cars are still an amazing value. I just saw a spotless white N* at $16K. I only paid $5k more almost 5 years ago with like miles now! Go price an equally featured car; find one?

you are just pointing out the resale value...

Your statement is accurate

Though...if you look at it from the other side of the coin

if you bought one of these new( or very early) in its life it would have to be about the worst value among its competitors

Warren

----------

No the sts only level up and down no left/right adjust via turning.
I had a cts with it. They sucked. The light output is no where near the sts lamp output especially with intelibeam.

when I was testing driving cars years ago

As I recall the Infiniti M35 had the lights that turned with the car and I thought it was a very neat safety feature. I think it also had HID high beams..unlike the STS

did they ever put HID Hi beams on the STS's?

Warren

1BadCadSTS
07-02-13, 10:15 AM
Negative. Most cars I've ever seen do not have dual beam hids as they would surely take a beating with flash to pass.

The xlr and dts has a single beam and to activate high beams the Hid light has a switch. When you activate high beams the low beam bulb adjusts its angle and projects higher thus high beams without the flicker.

ddalder
07-02-13, 10:23 AM
Negative. Most cars I've ever seen do not have dual beam hids as they would surely take a beating with flash to pass.

The xlr and dts has a single beam and to activate high beams the Hid light has a switch. When you activate high beams the low beam bulb adjusts its angle and projects higher thus high beams without the flicker.
Well, this is also true of the Buick Enclave. Although, it sounds to me like there is a shutter assembly that is raised when the high beams are activated. I've never dug into one of these headlamps so I can't say for sure, but that's sure what it seems like.

Ludacrisvp
07-02-13, 10:30 AM
This is just a movement of a cutoff shield. The lamp and projector do not move at all.
There is a solenoid that is used to pulldown a shield on the bottom of the projector to expose more of the HID lamp thereby creating the high beam effect.
Low beam only HIDs only use about 50% of the light from the lamp, the other 50% is blocked off by the same shield but in these lights the shield doesn't move.

turnne
07-02-13, 11:56 AM

ok...how do the other manufacturers do it?

Hi beam HID's have been around for years
it looks to me when the light are on hi beam and they are not HID( while the low beams are)...the yellower vs whiter light looks odd

Warren

Ludacrisvp
07-02-13, 12:58 PM
ok...how do the other manufacturers do it?

Hi beam HID's have been around for years
it looks to me when the light are on hi beam and they are not HID( while the low beams are)...the yellower vs whiter light looks odd

Warren

Please show me a car that has HIDs for high beam that isn't using a bi-xeon projector. I bet you won't find any. HID lamps take too long to reach a usable intensity to be used as high beams on their own. HID lamps and ballasts also don't last long in the rapid on and off that high beams get.

1BadCadSTS
07-02-13, 01:21 PM
I have an xlr lamp I can't give away. I plan on taking it apart to see exactly how it works before I pitch it.

Ludacrisvp
07-02-13, 01:55 PM
Here is an example of a bixenon D1S projector from Valeo ... likely the same projector that is in the XLR/DTS
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/mavs19/01.jpg
You can see in red on the left there is a soleniod that moves the large flap towards the camera / projector lens and exposes more of the lamp output.

Here is an example of just the shield removed from the housing ... this particular person is modding the shield to create a flat cutoff instead of the stepped cutoff that we know so well.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/mavs19/010.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/Headlight_projector_schematic.png

turnne
07-05-13, 09:16 AM
Please show me a car that has HIDs for high beam that isn't using a bi-xeon projector. I bet you won't find any. HID lamps take too long to reach a usable intensity to be used as high beams on their own. HID lamps and ballasts also don't last long in the rapid on and off that high beams get.

thats my point...why didnt they use Bi-Xenon projectors on the STS?

I think every other car I can think of had them other than the STS( that was equipped with HID)

Warren

Guy.Seminerio
07-05-13, 11:20 AM
Why didn't those other cars stack dual projectors? Why does the cadillac have vertical taillamps? Other cars I know don't have those. I have a feeling we might be thinking too deeply into this one.

turnne
07-05-13, 11:44 AM
Why didn't those other cars stack dual projectors? Why does the cadillac have vertical taillamps? Other cars I know don't have those. I have a feeling we might be thinking too deeply into this one.

you are talking styling vs functional features

two very different things

I have driven a car with bi-xenon and an active headlight system

believe me..both make a difference when driving down a dark road

I think both are features that were picked on the new XTS

Warren

Guy.Seminerio
07-05-13, 12:31 PM
I guess so. I do alright with the halogen high beams. Maybe their desire to put in two projectors drove them to the halogen high beams is what I'm getting at.

Ludacrisvp
07-05-13, 01:02 PM
I completely agree that having a bixenon HID setup is really beneficial at night.
I have done headlight projector retrofits in 3 cars in the last few years changing them from halogen high and low to using a single bixenon HID projector that made a world of difference.

The SRX also did dual projector headlights.

I think cost and style were the reasons here.