: Miami Vice Fans

klebrun
02-14-05, 01:56 AM
Any Vice fans out there? Just got the season one dvds last week. My 9 year old son is hooked on it. We watched 5 episodes Sat nite and he still wanted to watch more. He had tears in his eyes when I turned it off. It was funny because he was whining that it wasn't fair that he had to wait to see the rest of the episodes. I told him that was quite a bargain, since the rest of us have had to wait over 20 years for this to come out. His jaw bounced off the floor like a basketball. I asked him how he would like it if he had to wait for over 20 years for one of his favorite movies or tv shows to be released on video. He got the picture.

After visiting some Vice websites, it sounds as if the powers that be are going to release all of the episodes with the original music. Apparently the series was held up because of music royalties issues (greed). Hopefully they will stick to their word and do it right.

Ralph
02-14-05, 03:53 AM
I was a big fan of that show and had the cassette tape of the music. Did they only make that one cassete or were there others?

I still have the original priemiere movie taped as well as the last episode in 1989. It was cool watching them new.

That show was a bit more violent than anything today, some people might say. I still remember the episode when the Ferrari Daytona got blown up and we were all talking about it at school the next day! :eek:

klebrun
02-14-05, 05:17 AM
I think they now have four different soundtrack albums. Jan Hammer also put one out featuring songs from Miami Vice. I think it was called "Escape From Television".

Oh man, I remember when they took out the Daytona, too. Crockett and Tubbs were doing an undercover rocket launcher buy when Crockett notices that the weapons are old. He starts complaining and says "How do I know they're gonna go BANG?!" The look on Crockett's face when the guy points the launcher at the Ferrari and blows it up was priceless. I was in total shock and then when Tubbs said with a wry smile "SOLD!!", I thought I was going to bust a gut laughing.

Alot of people thought the show was pretty violent. Since I was used to watching cop shows and westerns growing up, Miami Vice didn't seem as violent to me as it would to someone not used to gunfights and brawling on TV. But I was taught the difference between fantasy and reality in tv shows, so I was able to separate the two. I saw the violence more as action rather than violence, but I never had the desire to imitate it. Vice was still doing respectable in the ratings when it was cancelled. I remember at the time that there was a big push at the networks to tone down the violence, so several cop shows were cancelled along with Vice. One thing Vice didn't do is give in to Political Correctness, like so many shows do today. Look at the uproar in the Muslim community about the show 24 using of all people...Muslims as terrorists!

I can understand why someone wouldn't want their kids to watch it. I debated as to whether to let my son watch it or not. After some of the things he has told me he's learned on the playground, I realized a couple of years ago that our relationship was becoming more "mature" and that I was going to have to be more open and honest with him. He shows a strong interest in real world issues and is able to separate fact from fiction (except for Santa, of course). If he wasn't able to do that, then I wouldn't let him watch it. Every kid is different, so it's not for everybody. Besides, he gets to see all of the old Cadillacs back when they were brand new!

http://www.miami-vice.org/

Elvis
02-14-05, 11:18 AM
I saw the violence more as action rather than violence, but I never had the desire to imitate it.

Violence? That's no big deal. The CLOTHES were the big crime that show perpetuated!

klebrun
02-14-05, 03:25 PM
Violence? That's no big deal. The CLOTHES were the big crime that show perpetuated!

Now if Elvis had lived into the '80's, don't you think he would have ditched the jumpsuit and Jungle Room for pistols, pastels, and a 3 day growth of stubble? :histeric:

Elvis
02-14-05, 06:08 PM
Now if Elvis had lived into the '80's, don't you think he would have ditched the jumpsuit and Jungle Room for pistols, pastels, and a 3 day growth of stubble? :histeric:

If Elvis had lived that long, he would have made jumpsuits and jungle rooms cool! :cool: :elvis2:

klebrun
02-14-05, 06:45 PM
Maybe he could have starred on Vice as a DEA agent. Switek would have gone nuts being able to work with his idol. Now that I think of it, did Nixon appoint him as an honorary DEA agent, or was that title for real?

Msilva954
02-14-05, 07:16 PM
AHH I want to get it this week along with the Chappel Season 2....been waitin for the Vice A LONG TIME.........guess im gonna have to pull out the framed shirtless signed picture of Don Johnson he signed for my mom in the 80's lol.

Murphyg
02-14-05, 07:26 PM
Maybe he could have starred on Vice as a DEA agent. Switek would have gone nuts being able to work with his idol. Now that I think of it, did Nixon appoint him as an honorary DEA agent, or was that title for real?

Believe that he requested to be named a "federal agent at large" in the Bureau Of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs.
And apparently Nixon "humoured" his request. :elvis3:

klebrun
02-14-05, 07:39 PM
Believe that he requested to be named a "federal agent at large" in the Bureau Of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs.
And apparently Nixon "humoured" his request. :elvis3:

I remember seeing the picture of Elvis and Nixon together when that happened. Thanks for clearing that up.

Ya, it has been a long wait for the series. I heard they are going to release a season every 6 months, but I don't know if that's a rumor or fact.

Playdrv4me
02-14-05, 07:52 PM
I have Jan Hammer's "Crockett's Theme" in three different versions on my Ipod. Probably THE best song out of the entire show, you can listen to it on GTA:Vice City too.

Ralph
02-14-05, 08:20 PM
I have Jan Hammer's "Crockett's Theme" in three different versions on my Ipod. Probably THE best song out of the entire show, you can listen to it on GTA:Vice City too.

I love that instrumental!! I wish it was longer and they had put it on my soundtrack. I've got the cassette with Glen Fry standing between Don and Philip on the back, (holding an UZI I think) pink cover. Another good song was called "The Chase."

There is one song I don't know who sang it BUT I WANT TO KNOW!!

It went like:

"Stand tall, don't think small,
Don't get your back up against the wall,
Shoot straight, too late to fire away........."

It was the opening song for one of the first season episodes where they drive through the everglades and I want to know who did that song!!! Anyone have an idea?? It was one of the best songs I've heard from the '80's imo. They NEVER gave credit on the show for the songs!

CoupeDevilleRob
02-14-05, 08:48 PM
I hope this means that white suits with a pastel shirt underneath and the sleeves pushed up will become socially acceptable again. If it ever was socially acceptable in the first place.

BTW, Tubbs always had a cooler car than Crockett. 64 Caddy convertible or a fake Ferarri? It's not even a choice.

Ralph
02-14-05, 08:52 PM
a fake Ferarri? It's not even a choice.

It wasn't a fake Ferrari, it was a 1971-73 Ferrari Daytona. In HS we all thought it was a modded Corvette, but now we now better. :thumbsup:

klebrun
02-15-05, 12:29 AM
I love that instrumental!! I wish it was longer and they had put it on my soundtrack. I've got the cassette with Glen Fry standing between Don and Philip on the back, (holding an UZI I think) pink cover. Another good song was called "The Chase."

There is one song I don't know who sang it BUT I WANT TO KNOW!!

It went like:

"Stand tall, don't think small,
Don't get your back up against the wall,
Shoot straight, too late to fire away........."

It was the opening song for one of the first season episodes where they drive through the everglades and I want to know who did that song!!! Anyone have an idea?? It was one of the best songs I've heard from the '80's imo. They NEVER gave credit on the show for the songs!

"Girls with Guns" by Tommy Shaw. You can hear it at this link. You can access most of the music at this website.

http://www.miami-vice.org/episode/episode.asp?season=1&episode=9

Ralph
02-15-05, 12:36 AM
"Girls with Guns" by Tommy Shaw. You can hear it at this link. You can access most of the music at this website.

http://www.miami-vice.org/episode/episode.asp?season=1&episode=9

OMG!!! Thank you!!

How could you know where that song was, and what it was?? Are you a member of that forum?? :) I remember that episode quite well.

klebrun
02-15-05, 12:41 AM
OMG!!! Thank you!!

How could you know where that song was, and what it was?? Are you a member of that forum?? :) I remember that episode quite well.

Ya, I just joined it last week. I was tooling around on google and just happened to stumble on to it. If you go to the top of the webpage where it says "episode", you can access all five seasons episodes and music. I usually open up a separate window and listen to the music while I'm on other websites.

Ralph
02-15-05, 12:46 AM
Have you heard anything about the actress who played Gina? Wonder what ever happened to her, she was a fine looking lady.

I still don't know how you could know which was MY song out of all those!!?

Ralph
02-15-05, 12:55 AM
I remember all the hoopla about Don's Bren Ten. Then a couple of years later, when 10mm ammo got in short supply he switched to a Smith and Wesson Model 645 .45 cal. pistol. I noticed little things like that. :D

klebrun
02-15-05, 01:30 AM
Have you heard anything about the actress who played Gina? Wonder what ever happened to her, she was a fine looking lady.

I still don't know how you could know which was MY song out of all those!!?

Haven't heard anything about her, even though she looks like a woman who would probably age well. If I hear anything, I'll let you know.

Sorry, I forgot to tell you how I figured out the song in my last post. When you mentioned that in the episode they were driving through the glades, I remembered an episode by the name of "Glades". Then when you included some of the lyrics, I remembered that song. Tommy Shaw used to be the lead singer of the group "Styx", who is one of my favorite groups. So, along with your good description of the song and the episode and my being a fan of both Vice and Styx, I was able to figure out what song you were talking about. A stellar example of Americans and Canadians working together to solve a problem, if ya ask me. :cheers:

Ralph
02-15-05, 02:38 AM
A stellar example of Americans and Canadians working together to solve a problem, if ya ask me. :cheers:

LOL! Ya, if only all the worlds problems could. :)

I remember Styx, but I knew nothing of who the lead singer was, etc. Good job!

klebrun
02-15-05, 03:01 AM
LOL! Ya, if only all the worlds problems could. :)

I remember Styx, but I knew nothing of who the lead singer was, etc. Good job!

Thank you sir. Tommy was the guitar player and occasional lead singer in Styx back in their heyday. Dennis DeYoung did most of the lead vocals, even though sometimes other band members got to sing lead once in awhile.

Tommy Shaw not only went solo, but was a member of the group Damn Yankees with his friend Ted Nugent.

Ted Nugent also had a song on Vice called "Little Miss Dangerous" on a second season episode of the same name.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/tommy.shaw/

klebrun
02-15-05, 04:14 AM
Another one of my favorite scenes is in the season 2 episode "Out Where the Buses Don't Run" where C & T are screaming thru the streets of Miami in the Daytona with "Brothers in Arms" by Dire Straits playing. The sound of the Ferrari together with that song was a perfect example of Vice at it's best.

A funny little incident for those who are bored and willing to read on. I remember taping this episode when it originally aired. Stereo TV had just come out and was a big hit but the technology to receive and tape it was lagging behind (nothing ever changes, does it?). I had just bought a hifi stereo vcr which at the time cost about $800.00 and I had to buy the MTS Stereo decoder separately and hook it up to get stereo sound, since they weren't building the decoder inside the units yet.

So I'm all ready to tape Miami Vice in stereo when I find out that my cable company wasn't set up to broadcast in stereo yet. In order to record the show in stereo, I had to disconnect the vcr from the cable and record it over the air using rabbit ears.

At the time, I was working nights so I had to set the timer. So anyway, I record this episode and that night I come home to watch it. The reception was marginal, but not too bad and the episode was sounding good. I get to the part I mentioned above, with the Ferrari screaming and Dire Straits playing and all of the sudden I see some sort of interference on the video and hear this high pitch whining coming over the speakers. It lasts through the entire scene. I finally figured out that it was the bitch in the apartment upstairs using her hairdryer at almost 10 pm on a Friday night! I was steamin'! :rant2: Since it was a rerun, I was never able to retape it. Fortunately, she moved out before I got the opportunity to strangle her.

Ralph
02-15-05, 12:58 PM
Another one of my favorite scenes is in the season 2 episode "Out Where the Buses Don't Run" where C & T are screaming thru the streets of Miami in the Daytona with "Brothers in Arms" by Dire Straits playing. The sound of the Ferrari together with that song was a perfect example of Vice at it's best.

A funny little incident for those who are bored and willing to read on. I remember taping this episode when it originally aired. Stereo TV had just come out and was a big hit but the technology to receive and tape it was lagging behind (nothing ever changes, does it?). I had just bought a hifi stereo vcr which at the time cost about $800.00 and I had to buy the MTS Stereo decoder separately and hook it up to get stereo sound, since they weren't building the decoder inside the units yet.

So I'm all ready to tape Miami Vice in stereo when I find out that my cable company wasn't set up to broadcast in stereo yet. In order to record the show in stereo, I had to disconnect the vcr from the cable and record it over the air using rabbit ears.

At the time, I was working nights so I had to set the timer. So anyway, I record this episode and that night I come home to watch it. The reception was marginal, but not too bad and the episode was sounding good. I get to the part I mentioned above, with the Ferrari screaming and Dire Straits playing and all of the sudden I see some sort of interference on the video and hear this high pitch whining coming over the speakers. It lasts through the entire scene. I finally figured out that it was the bitch in the apartment upstairs using her hairdryer at almost 10 pm on a Friday night! I was steamin'! :rant2: Since it was a rerun, I was never able to retape it. Fortunately, she moved out before I got the opportunity to strangle her.

Thank God for cable! Was it 1987 that they got the white Testerossa? I remember Crocket saying "340 hp, and new rubber." Not that much power, but for the time it was. I also remember last year when Don drove that white Testerossa to the Barrett-Jackson auction in Nevada and it fetched a good price I think. He also drove up in that orange Barracuda from Nash Bridges.

Msilva954
02-15-05, 09:27 PM
Yes the orginal Daytona was Vette....the first seasons was....after that no...

I cant wait for the movie next year....Foxx=Tubbs.....Ferrel = Crocket. should be good.

Ralph
02-15-05, 09:39 PM
Yes the orginal Daytona was Vette....the first seasons was....after that no...

Nope.

The dark blue 2-seater convertible was in fact a 1968-1972 Ferrari Daytona (aka 365 GTB, I think). It was a front-engined V-12. Ferrari replaced it in 1974 with the 512 BB which was a mid-engined car. The use of the dark blue Ferrari Daytona on Miami Vice and the red 308/328 in Magnum P.I. were part of the reasons for the explosion in Ferrari prices in the 1980s. By 1989 Daytona convertible prices were hitting close to $1 million.

The producers of Miami Vice, however, felt that the dark blue colour of the Daytona made it difficult to see during night scenes. They therefore used the white Ferrari Testarossa in later seasons, which was a 1986 model, I believe (as you can see from the high-mounted driver's side mirror).

So although some Corvettes were featured in a few episodes, Crockett drove Ferraris. Make no mistake.

klebrun
02-15-05, 11:52 PM
Thank God for cable! Was it 1987 that they got the white Testerossa? I remember Crocket saying "340 hp, and new rubber." Not that much power, but for the time it was. I also remember last year when Don drove that white Testerossa to the Barrett-Jackson auction in Nevada and it fetched a good price I think. He also drove up in that orange Barracuda from Nash Bridges.

Crockett got the Ferrari during the third season, which was...'86-'87 I believe. He had to drive around in a old pickup truck until he got the new Ferrari. While he was driving the pickup, I remember him bitching to Castillo that "showing up to six figure drug deals looking like lil' abner ain't gonna cut it!" I always wondered why he just didn't take Tubbs' Cadillac until he got the new Ferrari.

Ralph
02-16-05, 02:10 AM
Crockett got the Ferrari during the third season, which was...'86-'87 I believe. He had to drive around in a old pickup truck until he got the new Ferrari. While he was driving the pickup, I remember him bitching to Castillo that "showing up to six figure drug deals looking like lil' abner ain't gonna cut it!" I always wondered why he just didn't take Tubbs' Cadillac until he got the new Ferrari.
whoa, flashback!! I remember something about that LOL!