: 1965 Lincoln Continental

Wicho
02-14-05, 12:00 AM
I have been going over my head of what car I want to buy and restore and while driving a few days ago saw a 65 Lincoln and fell in love with the car. My questoin is this, how much should I be looking at for a running lincoln in "ok" condition ? I don't car about the interior since I am going to gut it and get everything re-done. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Elvis
02-14-05, 11:13 AM
I like them too.

The motor and drivetrain probably won't be that big of a problem to get fixed. There just wasn't a whole lot going on under the hood at Lincoln back in those days.

So if you're not worried about the interior, I would worry about RUST RUST RUST!

I'll bet you could find something REALLY nice for under $4000. If you don't mind some minor body work, you can probably get something good under $2500. Just like with the Cadillacs, you pay a huge premium for a convertible. The hardtops just aren't in much demand, particularly 1965-66 models.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-14-05, 02:14 PM
I dunno , ibe always loved the Kennedy Continentials , vert witht he rear suicide doors , they were a nice looking peice ....Drove one some time ago , they didnt seem so big in pictures , but get behind the wheel and it makes my cadillac seem like a little european sportscar ....

Very impressive cars all around ...ive wanted to get a soild one and drop the ford V-10 in it complete with fuel injection and everyting out of a superduty ...make a sort of "G Machine" looking rig out of it in pure Popular Hot Rodding Fashion ....Tho id have to airbag it at all four corners and adapt a Mark 8 interior ....

Elvis
02-14-05, 06:06 PM
I dunno , ibe always loved the Kennedy Continentials , vert witht he rear suicide doors , they were a nice looking peice ....Drove one some time ago , they didnt seem so big in pictures , but get behind the wheel and it makes my cadillac seem like a little european sportscar ....

Very impressive cars all around ...ive wanted to get a soild one and drop the ford V-10 in it complete with fuel injection and everyting out of a superduty ...make a sort of "G Machine" looking rig out of it in pure Popular Hot Rodding Fashion ....Tho id have to airbag it at all four corners and adapt a Mark 8 interior ....

The 65's still had suicide doors. I think that feature was discontinued in '67 or '68.

A 1961-64 Continental is closer to the "Kennedy" model you're talking about. I've seen a white one that belonged to them up close and personal. It was on display in a museum in Reno. They had a large b/w photo of Jack, Jackie, and Bobby all sitting together in the back. Quickly glancing from the photo to the car you could trick your eyes into believing that you could actually see them sitting in the car together. Kinda spooky.

Jack was killed in a 1961 presidential model. It's at the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/car/gallery/pictures/Detroit16.jpg

BeelzeBob
02-14-05, 07:49 PM
Take a look over at www.lincolnforums.com as well..

alloyed2sea
04-25-05, 10:20 PM
60s Lincolns - they're beautiful, fantastic cars.
Would that FoMoCo would make a 4-door convertible today.
Here's mine - "Jackie-O"!!!

Stoneage_Caddy
04-25-05, 10:25 PM
how do i stop drooling ?

Adumb
04-25-05, 10:38 PM
60s Lincolns - they're beautiful, fantastic cars.
Would that FoMoCo would make a 4-door convertible today.
Here's mine - "Jackie-O"!!!

damn, thats a beautiful car

TomDeville
04-25-05, 10:44 PM
Indeed! :thumbsup:
:coolgleam

DopeStar 156
04-26-05, 12:29 AM
You just gotta be careful because these cars had a problem with the chassis bowing from the weight. The suicide doors didn't support it too well.

addison_ii
04-26-05, 12:46 AM
I've always had a fascination with these cars since I was younger. There was also one featured in Dead Presidents(I think). If you can get it for a price within the price range mentioned, I would go for it IMO.

davesdeville
04-26-05, 12:49 AM
Those triton V10s are weak. 460 all the way.